Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Young couple relocating to Miami, neighborhood advice?

Merry Christmas Everyone!
    My work is relocating me to Miami to start a new office to be determined in April (somewhere between Hialeah Gardens and Miramar) and need some living area recommendations. My girlfriend will be coming with me and finish her masters at Nova in Ft. Lauderdale along with our dog (golden doodle). I would like to spend around $1,500 per month for rent, not including utilities and was wondering if we can live near the beach with walking distance to walk our dog in a safe area with a grocery store nearby? Taxi distance to the clubs and restaurants would be nice as well. I'm hearing sunny isles or north miami beach is nice and is far enough away from the tourists but close enough to visit when we want to feel like a tourist. Any recommendations would be nice. Some more info below about us:
    -we are in our mid to late twenties
    -we like exercising
    -I speak spanish, she is learning
    -we would like a 2nd room for friends to visit
    -our dog needs is a must, walkable areas are a must

thanks!

Default Re: Young couple relocating to Miami, neighborhood advice?

Hey Carlos. Welcome to MB411.

That area you mentioned is fine, though as younger people you might get very bored. If your girl is gonna be in Davie (that's where Nova is) I'd recommend looking in Hollywood Beach. It's fairly easy access to the freeway, and has a little more going on than Aventura or Sunny Isles. Also, Sunny Isles is a serious pain to get to, and if you have a normal commute time you will waste your life in traffic.

That said, if you're working anywhere between HG and Miramar you're going to face a brutal commute if you want to live near the water. You can find a 1 BR near the water in your price range, but the drive out west is going to be nasty. Especially if you end up further north and have to go south in the AM. Even worse since you'll be taking freeways that don't have express lanes.

You could think about Mid-Beach in Miami, which is nice. The commute wouldn't be bad for you since it's against traffic, but it's 40 minutes to Davie.

Driving wise, your best best would be Pembroke Pines or Miramar as they are nice areas that are convenient to everything and offer very manageable commutes for you both. But it's suburbia, so you'll be driving to the beach, nightlife, and the like.

New User

Matt,

thanks for the valuable advice, I think I'm going to push for the office location farther east between 95 and the Florida turnpike in West Park to help with the commute and meet my beach needs. I like the mid-beach option and I'm sure the girlfriend will be willing to deal with it since she doesn't have to commute up there everyday, then Pembroke Pines later when we wanna settle down. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Hey Carlos. Welcome to MB411.

That area you mentioned is fine, though as younger people you might get very bored. If your girl is gonna be in Davie (that's where Nova is) I'd recommend looking in Hollywood Beach. It's fairly easy access to the freeway, and has a little more going on than Aventura or Sunny Isles. Also, Sunny Isles is a serious pain to get to, and if you have a normal commute time you will waste your life in traffic.

That said, if you're working anywhere between HG and Miramar you're going to face a brutal commute if you want to live near the water. You can find a 1 BR near the water in your price range, but the drive out west is going to be nasty. Especially if you end up further north and have to go south in the AM. Even worse since you'll be taking freeways that don't have express lanes.

You could think about Mid-Beach in Miami, which is nice. The commute wouldn't be bad for you since it's against traffic, but it's 40 minutes to Davie.

Driving wise, your best best would be Pembroke Pines or Miramar as they are nice areas that are convenient to everything and offer very manageable commutes for you both. But it's suburbia, so you'll be driving to the beach, nightlife, and the like.

Mid Beach is close enough to South Beach where it won't be annoying to go there. Sunny Isles beach might aggravate you every time you want to go to Lincoln rd, a club, a good restaurant, etc. So many red lights will drive you bananas.

Mid beach is also right by the 41st street cause way which becomes I-195 and goes directly to I-95. You miss the express lanes, but its still convenient and better option then driving through Aventura to get to 95 (especially on school days!)

You can get a good 1 BR in Mid Beach in a nice 4-5 star building with water views, lots of amenities and parking for about $1500-$1600. And most of those include partial power bill and/or Cable TV & Water.

I'd still recommend something closer to south beach. Its just a better area and more enjoyable to live. There are 2 good buildings at the north end (2600 Collins and 2645 Collins) where you can get a 2 bedroom with parking & balcony for $1500-$1600.

Just my opinions....

Marc