Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Need Help renting a studio month-to-month

Leo

Default Need Help renting a studio month-to-month

Hi everyone, Seasons Greetings. Hope it has been a wonderful Holiday so far and wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. This forum is awesome! I wish I found it sooner. I need to do a lot of reading to get caught up .

I want to move to Miami the moment I can find a place to rent. I'm pretty much ready to leave now. I would like to rent a studio (month-to-month) and then once I'm in Miami I can take my time to figure out where I think I will ultimately want to reside.

Ideally, I would like to be in a building with a gym and wifi/internet and close to public transportation. Miami Beach, SoBe, Brickell, Downtown, Coral Gables, etc...I'm not going to be picky now. My budget is ~$1500/month. I'm a clean, responsible professional, non-smoker/ no pets person.

If anyone knows of a place please let me know. I'm having difficulty finding a place. I'm not in Miami now and living in a hotel, so I would like to leave as soon as possible.

Default Re: Moving to Miami - Looking to rent a studio (month-to-month) Help!

Hi and welcome to the forums.

with that budget,Brickell and South Beach is out. The building you describe is high end, with amenities such as gym and wifi, and they don't come cheap. Further up Miami Beach in mid or north beach may work, or perhaps Coral Gables but I don't know if the Gables even have high rises. Start by looking on Craigslist in the area of Miami Beach and put in your budget. Some apartments may come up as monthly, but be aware that when you rent month by month,it costs more money.

Hi Olio,

Have you tried Airbnb.com ? It is fairly easy to find something decent for short term rent.
    Else there is of course craigslist, but be aware of scammers.

You can also try out hotpads.com.

I found this one on Airbnb for 1730 per month - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/142819

It is in a pretty good location. I liked that side of the beach when i was staying there.
    Publix is very close down on 5th, and whole foods and walgreens is on 10th street.

Only other options on south beach seems to be to rent a room.

This one is a little further up north around 63th street - 1614 per month - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/478233

According to the description it seems to be small hotel like studio apartments.

Leo

Thanks for the warm welcome Jess. I've quickly realized how much more it costs with less choices when wanting to rent month-by-month, but it is what I must do for now. I have found several places on a 12 month lease... there are hundreds of options, which will be great for when I choose the spot I would like to be in long term. For now, I have no problem going further up Miami Beach or to the Gables (lots of nice properties), but finding a month-to-month is proving difficult with my modest ~$1500 budget. I have been checking on so many websites, but a lot of ads seem to be old and almost no one has even responded to my emails/messages. Thanks for your help!

Martin: I've searched Craigslist (yes you're right... a lot of scams and fake ads to sort through),Hotpads, Placeofmine, Apartments.com, Trovit, Sublet.com,Tripping.com, extended stay hotels, feelmiami, oodle, spreadmyad, and many more...

I haven't tried airbnb.com, but will now. Thank you for sharing .

I prefer to have my own place at the moment than be in a room of a house sharing space with students. I tend to work a lot and need to concentrate (lots of reading). That's why I have been looking at buildings. I currently rent a place in Brickell with someone but don't live in it, because it's small for two and hard me to work when the TV is on etc... It would have been perfect it I were alone.

Yeah, well if you're in a place already maybe start looking for a permanent place?

A lot of this is going to depend on what you do for work, and where you end up working. And if you have a car. Without one you really can't live anywhere but South Beach or Brickell. And even then life is going to be very limited.

Past that, your commute is gonna determine a lot. Everyone here has listed the best options. Realtors aren't going to be terribly helpful on a month to month rental as they don't get much (if anything) for those. My advice would be just to start looking for a permanent place now since you have a place to live for the time being.

Leo

Hey Matt. I'm not living in the place I'm renting in Brickell. I only lived in it for weeks before I had to relocate for my work . I will not be staying there because it simply is too small for me along with the person who is there now. It was a mistake. I rushed to help someone.

I'm currently enjoying 23F weather . I had to relocate 3 times this year and now finally I'm planning on settling in Miami... again. I'm tired of the traveling and not having a place I can call home.

I don't have a car and I would love to be in Brickell or South Beach for that reason. My work will be home-based (computer, phone and faxes) and my clients are all out of state, so no work-related commuting. I have a decent enough idea about Brickell and would like to try SoBe or somewhere in Miami Beach to get a feeling what it might be like in comparison to Brickell. Then I can decide on where the permanent place will be.

Leo

Last edited by Leo; 12-28-2012 at 03:26 AM.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by olio100 View Post
    I have never been inside that building, but it seems OK in many ways: responsible owner, fairly good location, within budget.

Things that would concern me:

(1) It's tiny, the site says 350 sf but prop records show 260 sf, and that includes bathroom and closet. Not sure how suitable it is for staying more than a few days. Does it even have a desk?

(2) Kitchen doesn't have stove from the pictures, is mostly just a sink and refrigerator.

(3) No parking

(4) Seems not available until May 2013.

Default Re: Need Help renting a studio month-to-month

It's basically like being in a hotel room. So if you're ok with that it might work. Past that you may find it difficult.

The Mantel is up on 24th and really near the beach. RK is right about parking though, unless you can get proof of residence you won't get a parking permit for your car. You will need something like a bill or bank statement with your address on, to get a zone permit for your car.

My first two apartments were studios. And they were tiny! Just depends on how much space you need. And my 'kitchen' just had a sink and microwave, no oven. I didn't care. I ate out, ordered in, or lived on my old daily diet of cereal or triscuits... Ha and now I'm allergic to wheat, there's a clue why.

Zone 11! Raise up!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Zone 11! Raise up!
    hahahahaha the best zone

Leo

I completely missed the available dates...it was really late .

Back to the searching...

* I won't need a parking space, don't mind not having a stove or living in a place the size of a hotel room. I just want to be in Miami and then I can spend my days wandering around discovering the neighborhoods/areas and then deciding what place will suit me best.
    Last edited by Leo; 12-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.

I completely missed the available dates...it was really late .

Back to the searching...

* I won't need a parking space, don't mind not having a stove or living in a place the size of a hotel room. I just want to be in Miami and then I can spend my days wandering around discovering the neighborhoods/areas and then deciding what place will suit me best.

Hi,

Month to Month rentals cost a fortune, especially in December/January! Most expensive time of the year. And $1500 won't get you a furnished studio at the Decoplage or Flamingo for 1 month.

If you are comfortable with the size of a hotel room, then rent a hotel room. You will drive yourself crazy looking for an inexpensive month to month rental at this time.

If you don't want to commit to a year then, you can get a 6 month rental somewhere in South Beach. That way season will be over, prices will come down, inventory will go up, and you'll have a better idea of where you want to live. Plus you won't pay crazy prices on a 6 month rental, maybe just an extra $100 or so from list price. If you work from home and don't need to drive, South Beach is perfect. You can walk everywhere (food, drink, beach, park, nightlife, bank, groceries, etc.) and come and go as you please. There are bike rentals, free rides on Swoop (electric golf car), and buses.

Good luck!

Marc

Leo

Check out the listing for 100 Lincoln Road #947, Miami Beach FL 33139 on this site:
    http://therightreservationcenter.com/miami-fl.html

and now compare it to this link:
    http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/...-33139#photo-7

and this link:
    http://hotpads.com/rentals/100-Linco...ultsPerQuad=24

rk

Check out the listing for 100 Lincoln Road #947, Miami Beach FL 33139 on this site: http://therightreservationcenter.com/miami-fl.html and now compare it to this link: http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/...-33139#photo-7 and this link: http://hotpads.com/rentals/100-Linco...ultsPerQuad=24
    The Trulia and hotpads links have basically correct information. The "therightreservationcenter.com" is either very sloppy or a scam, very likely the latter - they seem to have been in existence only 3 months. I am glad you're doing some cross-checking, and this brings up the wider question of fraudulent or misleading rental ads that are so very common in the Miami market. Don't trust anything on Craigslist of course, and even for reputable sites assume there may be mistakes or scams. Never rent sight unseen, and even then you can't be sure. Check this thread from last year e.g.:

BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

At the very least check ownership info at the county assessor's website: http://www.miamidade.gov/pa/property_search.asp
    Last edited by rk; 12-29-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: typo

Leo

I've found several scam or error ads on Craigslist and have reported them. I didn't realize how bad it really was out there. The Monica Brown story is frightening but not as much as her face .

I've seen places ask for deposits varying from $100 to double the amount of the rent. Is there a legal form/template one can use that is safe/secure that anyone knows of?

I'm still searching for a place and feeling somewhat discouraged .
    Last edited by Leo; 12-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast