Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help

Default Re: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by giddysun View Post
    Oh I forgot to say I'm 36 yrs old.

No worries. You're a youngster. You still haven't hit the best, most fun years.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 01-15-2013 at 05:49 PM.

What are the best years, exactly?

And "super" is definitely a word used as an all-purpose adjective here in Miami. So much so it was included in the epic "Sh*t Miami Girls Say" video, that more or less sums up the pillars of intellect that make up this city....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtB29gJ6dLQ

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    What are the best years, exactly?

Can't tell you yet. All I can say so far is that my 40s are more fun than my 20s or 30s. Can't speak for 50s ... yet. When I get in my 50s, I'll give an update. But, so far, 40s are in the lead!

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Can't tell you yet. All I can say so far is that my 40s are more fun than my 20s or 30s. Can't speak for 50s ... yet. When I get in my 50s, I'll give an update. But, so far, 40s are in the lead!

Glenn
    At 50, the chasis drops and the nuts and bolts loosen. Having my wheels checked up on tomorrow.

An overhaul is due.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    At 50, the chasis drops and the nuts and bolts loosen. Having my wheels checked up on tomorrow.

An overhaul is due.

Yeah, you've got that achilles thing going on. I've had a few health issues myself, but it's still getting more fun than when I was younger ... at least so far.

Glenn

I agree...I wouldn't want to be 18 again-no way!!
    I think it's a really difficult age to be at and you have to follow the crowd etc/are not allowed to be an individual..I'm much happier now despite complaining..I'd just prefer not to be surrounded by youngies...

I am meeting lots of nice people though who are being really helpful and also giving me lifts back from classes so can't complain!

Also, I liked the Flamingo lol!!
    Only problem is that the apartments I was shown had construction going on right outside..I mean a huge crane right outside one of them working on the balconies that could potentially be going on for a long while..
    So I am not sure if it's worth it..Is that common for the high-rises?

It's not common really, so maybe the Flamingo has work going on this year. They will only work Mon-Fri I expect, but still, do you want that noise outside your home for the next few months?

A lot of buildings go through resurfacing and other construction projects, one of the good things is that if they are doing the projects now, it will probably be a long time before they have to do anything else again.

Yeah but those days you want to sleep in....FORGET IT. I lived in a place with construction for about 3-4 months and it was the worst feeling. Daytime naps? No way. And if you're going to try and study at home, the noise will probably mess that up too.

Yes, I decided against renting a place for 7 months that could be a potential nightmare..I do like my sleep and short naps during the day..One of the perks of being a student is that you don't have to wake up at 7:30am every morning and I'm not having that ruined by morning drilling!!

I asked the realtor if I could rent for a month or two instead to test things and she didn't get back to me-so she didn't like that plan! I'm sure she's already found some victim who just saw pictures on the net and booked it! Back to the drawing board on that one..

Then tried to get back from an evening class today..Nobody seemed to speak to anyone in this class and then everyone dispersed so I only managed to get a lift to the university metrorail station this eve..Took the train to Douglas road station and was asking the guy who worked there what bus I needed to take and he said not to walk anywhere as the girl he was dealing with had just been robbed walking down the street next to the station..So he gave me a number for a taxi and I waited whilst the girl who was crying hysterically was waiting for her mum and then later giving her story to the police...

So I need to get a car asap...I do not want any weird experiences and even if I move to SoBe, I don't want to be commuting back late at night..the government centre station is shady enough by day..don't even want to imagine what nutcases are hanging there at night!

Yeah it's really bad at night. Funnily enough about two years ago I watched a baseball game at UM and got the train back to government center. Then had to walk down to the bus stops but at this point it was past 11pm and just very shady as you say. This guy freaked out and was being nuts and I ended up calling Matt on here, who lived close by and saying come get me pleeeease!
    That was at 11 though, what time were you there?

Leo

Apparently the construction at the Flamingo has been going on for a while:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShu6c2Qz6k

More current news:
    http://flamingosouthbeach1.files.wor...3-flamingo.pdf

Also, check out section: "The Construction/Repairs;"
    http://flamingosouthbeach1.wordpress.com/
    rk likes this.

Yeh thanks Leo-I had googled 'The Construction/Repairs story' myself too when researching..That's when I realised the noise in the apartment was coming from the roof as it is on the 15th floor and not from outside..They are having work done on the roof!

Jess-my evening classes finish at 9:30pm and I was at Douglas road station around 9, last night as the professor let us go early as it was the first class! So I think walking around gets shady anywhere on the streets but around government center-I don't even want to imagine what characters the night brings out! They are in full force during the afternoon, so at night they must be going wild lol!!

I have another question though-I am starting to look at ads on craigslist and I know a lot of them are scams but for the ones that seem legitimate..What is the procedure for booking a place?

On the site it says not to take anything without seeing the interior..So if somebody shows me a place and I like it and want to take it in a fortnight. Do I just give this random person money and that's it?

I've used craigslist in Paris but it was kind of different as it was for a house share and the people were living in the house and pretty much gave me the key when I gave the deposit though i wasn't moving in for a bit. Any tips?

rk

Do read this thread from last year before renting anything off Craigslist:

BEWARE: Craigslist Scammer Monica Brown in South Beach

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by giddysun View Post
    I have another question though-I am starting to look at ads on craigslist and I know a lot of them are scams but for the ones that seem legitimate..What is the procedure for booking a place?

Any tips?
    Check out this site:
    http://landlords.about.com/od/LegalI...eposit-Law.htm

Always use a realtor that is licensed, even if it is through Craigslist.

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily just "hand the random person money." But if you like the place ask the person what the next step is to rent it. They won't ask for money right there if they're legit, there has to be a signed lease, sometimes condo board approval, and some other stuff too. NEVER just hand them cash on the spot right there.

Then you just have to play it safe the rest of the way. Write checks if you can to there's a paper trail and you have some recourse if they don't give you keys in due time. But typically you want to hand over your money at a lease signing where you get keys.

If you want to avoid Government Center outside, you can get off there and take the Metromover Outer (Omni) loop north to Adrienne Arsht Center Station. You can transfer there to many of the busses that go to the Beach. It's far less sketchy than GC, and while it's more time consuming you may feel safer.

I take the Metrorail home late night from UM a lot of days and I've never seen anything even mildly sketchy, though.

But, yeah. Get a car ASAP.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast