Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help

Default Re: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help!!

Thanks for all of the tips!
    Right now I am dealing with an estate agent or should i say realtor (feels v odd using that word!) who has disappeared...So if she doesn't reappear tomorrow then I am going to have to find someone else!

I have booked a few lessons with metro traffic school so should hit the roads soon!!

Use as many realtors as it takes. If they don't get back to you, use someone else! Your time is precious, not theirs.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by giddysun View Post
    Right now I am dealing with an estate agent or should i say realtor (feels v odd using that word!)
    ...or letting agent .

Right now I am dealing with an estate agent or should i say realtor (feels v odd using that word!) who has disappeared...So if she doesn't reappear tomorrow then I am going to have to find someone else!

I have booked a few lessons with metro traffic school so should hit the roads soon!!
    We are down the street from the Flamingo and I cannot say it enough, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THERE - it is a complete dump and run by crooks. They are the most shady, greedy, unethical lazy bunch of a--holes and will nickel and dime you (and keep your deposit on top of it.) The place stinks, is filthy, and with the exeption of a few redone/most expensive units the actual apartments are gross/old/rusty/cheap carpets and appliances.

I cringe every time I walk by! If you look online at some of the apartment review sites this place always has the most and worst reviews with one horror story after another.

The Waverly is great, but apts start at around $1900+. Mirador has some issues but overall okay and prices are mostly reasonable. 1228 and 1250 West are both nice (hi rises) and start around $1400. 1666 and 1688 West are good as well, the first is an older mid rise and starts around $1400, the second is a high rise with a pool and parking and starts around $1700. 1621 Bay is another we love - hi rise but no craziness, starts at around $1600 I think. 1441 Lincoln Ct is a really cute 3 story building - starts around $1400 and is right on the water, has parking, laundry, balconies, etc. Apts are mostly redone and really cute, if a bit on the small side. There are a few mid rises on Bay around Lincoln that start around $1400-$1500 for a 1/1 or 1/1.5 around 700-800 sq ft, depending on age/finishes etc.

We are in a mid rise off Lincoln and love it - have parking, secure front, laundry room, pool, elevators, w/d in apt, dishwasher, huge balcony and clean/redone interiors. About 750 sq ft. I think the going rate is around $1400 in the building. The only thing you give up vs a hi rise is a doorman, gym and some luxury amens. I'd say look for a nice redone secure mid rise - around 4-8 floors.
    rk and Leo like this.

Leo

Thank you for sharing! Any recommendations regarding properties that offer month-to-month furnished studios in SoBe or Mid Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Thank you for sharing! Any recommendations regarding properties that offer month-to-month furnished studios in SoBe or Mid Beach?
    If possible I'd go for a year with flexibility to leave a bit earlier (some places won't do this, some will. Our landlord noted we can leave anytime just give him a month or two notice to find someone else.) It's even easier if you do unfurnished -more to choose from, better pricing, and can furnish your own way / not worry about messing someone elses stuff up. You can easily can get some great deals on all types of furniture online (either CL or regular stores with delivery) and can easily sell the stuff when you leave - often for the same price or sometimes even more depending on item/condition.

If you must have something mtm and furnished the sublet section on CL is not bad - it's usually by owner so a simpler process and more negotiable. We did this once and it was great, cheaper, and quick. The regular rental section (choose by owner) has some furnished units too, and with some negotiation you may be able to get someone to ok a 7 or whatever month period.)

Leo

I really prefer to have a mtm furnished right now. I have been using CL and haven't been lucky yet. I was hoping I'd find the name some of the properties so that I stop wasting time looking at so many ads and property listings that don't offer mtm.

Leo

*Update*

I was contacted by my realtor about a unit that might work for me. She was able to negotiate a month-to-month deal with the owner who was looking for 12 month lease only. It's out of my desired budget, but I'll have to accept to pay the difference or possibly face further delays. I'm waiting for the details and hopefully I can wrap this up quickly. I hope it's good! I'll keep you guys posted.

Whereabouts is that apartment Leo?

giddysun, any luck with your apartment searches?

Leo

The Decoplage. I'm still waiting to hear back, but the good news is that this realtor is an excellent communicator. The second there's something she calls straight away and if it's very late.

Let me know if you need help, I am available on Wednesday & Friday to show properties...
    Leo likes this.

Leo

Sobespace...you've been awesome! I just want to share with everyone how friendly, helpful and professional you've been with me. It's always great to know that the forum has a member who's a realtor and has the knowledge, support, and expertise to help you find a place. Thank you again.

Jess-I have taken a place at the Flamingo..
    I have heard lots of negative things about the place as cockerspaniellove was also saying in his/her post! But I don't want to expend any more energy looking for a place and it's for 2 months so I can reevaluate if I don't like it or alternatively extend...It has some construction going on outside, so I didn't want to risk taking it for a longer period, in case the noise is really bad but just have better things i'd rather be doing than looking at apartments online all day! This way I can test it out..the apartment is really nice and I'm happy!
    Maybe it'll be as bad as the reviews or maybe not...I am staying in Coral Gables right now in a furnished place and found some reviews after I'd taken the apartment and they were terrible saying how the pictures don't match the place..Some girl had even posted a picture of clothes that had gotten ruined from mould in her apartment and so I got a bit anxious..But the apartment looks exactly like it did in the pictures and there is no mould!! I am leaving because I need to get out of Coral Gables suburbia hell!! I'm sure it's a nice place if you have a family (though i still wouldn't choose it) or want quiet etc but I like walking places and here you have to get in your car and drive to shops or a restaurant or whatever and it's pretty depressing...So I am just glad to be getting out!! Flamingo seems like heaven compared to this..I'm actually looking forward to hearing the vacationing drunks screaming I love Miami!!
    One thing I have learnt in my 2 weeks here is that SoBe is the only part of Miami that I like..I can understand why locals don't want to live in SoBe because of tourists etc but the rest is just blah to me...
    Leo likes this.

Good luck with your search Leo..It's a pain looking, but if you find something nice it'll be worth the effort!

Leo

Thank you . I hope you enjoy your stay at the Flamingo. Keep us posted with updates. I would love to hear all about it.

Well, I'm a SoBe local, and couldn't live anywhere else. I have a love hate relationship with it of course, but the rest of Miami is blah to me too, except perhaps Coconut Grove and Coco Walk. But still, that's only cos I love the bookstore there.
    The Flamingo for 2 months will buy you time to find a better place. Congrats!

Hi Giddysun,
    I lived into Flamingo for 4 days, hosted in a friend's studio (I moved many times in a month...by now I know any street in Sobe . It's true, it's noisy, many times at night the fire alarm switches on in the condo (once it was been for my fault...I burned my toast..I like the toast well cooked , many people live in the same apartment... there are strange people .but at Sobe the noise is everywhere!Also the strange people are everywhere...maybe I am strange me too...but I spent good days at Flamingo. I seen worst places. The only intolerable thing was the bed!Very uncomfortable!
    I'm 36 years old me too, so maybe we have same tastes and you will spend good days you too. Good luck!!!

Daisychick-good to know that your experience of Flamingo was not all bad! I didn't get to test the bed as the couple who were staying there were in when I visited! I did check the bed in another unit and it was comfy but it got taken..The apartment- not the bed that is!

Jess--this one's for you...Where do I get PG tips here? I forgot to bring some with me and lipton just doesn't taste like real tea!
    I haven't seen any in publix which is the closest supermarket to me, so was just wondering..

I wasted 3 dollars getting a tea in Starbucks too..I was given a variety of types and i explained I just wanted the closest to lipton as i thought that that would break it down in the simplest form-even though I don't like lipton!!
    And I got some weird green tea that I put a drop of milk in and it went pure white and tasted terrible..Had to throw it away after paying and queuing!

And what is going on with the huge portions of food here guys? How do you deal with it?

I have a problem wasting food but at the same time I don't want to gain 10 pounds, though I don't even think it would be physically possible to consume everything on the plate. Someone told me I should ask to have half packed before it comes to the table, but I am not always heading home after the meal and i don't want to be lugging a doggy bag of food around with me..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast