Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help

Default Re: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help!!

Huge portions of food = number one reason why most Americans are overweight. We want so much bang for our buck we are willing to stuff ourselves with food until we are in pain, and justify the torture with the fact that we spent a reasonable amount for so much food. If you are eating out at a new place it is sometimes good to order one thing, and propose splitting the meal with a friend, then if you are still hungry order a second entree. This gives you variety, and helps with portion control.

Quote Originally Posted by giddysun View Post
    Jess--this one's for you...Where do I get PG tips here? I forgot to bring some with me and lipton just doesn't taste like real tea!
    I haven't seen any in publix which is the closest supermarket to me, so was just wondering..
    Read the section about my views on lipton tea here:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/european-mistakes

I buy PG Tips at Publix. Mine is a big one with an English section, and they have loads... ribena, hobnobs, malteasers, mushy peas, custard, sticky toffee pudding...

Also, Fresh Market sell PG Tips.

And what is going on with the huge portions of food here guys? How do you deal with it?
    I just don't eat it. Or I take it home. And I accept that most Americans treat it as their dinner plus lunch tomorrow. Leftovers are the norm here. (And so are obese people...mmm wonder why!)

Default Re: Just moved and overwhelmed! Help

Thanks..I'll look again in Publix..the one close to me is pretty big but I don't remember seeing any..

Sharing food is defo the best option but the times I've had the huge portions, I've been eating alone and i don't know the people I hang out with that well yet, so I don't know how they'd feel about splitting a burger lol!

Yeah, the huge portions coupled with not walking anywhere and wanting 'bang for your buck' is not the best combination for staying slim..

Honestly many times I have eaten part of my meal then given the rest to a homeless person and they have taken it very gladly. I actually have struck up some friendships with homeless people this way, even gone sailing with a few that lived on a beat up sail boat.

The English section is usually one block of aisle, in the ethnic aisle. In my Publix (5th and Alton in SoBe), it is next to the Kosher and Asian sections of food.

Ah, PG Tips. Janet's favorite tea. I don't drink a lot of tea, but when I do, it's PG Tips. Good stuff. Several market chains do carry it.

Glenn

I actually drink decaf PG Tips, there is no caffeine in my diet, and Fresh Market even sells that also.

I am leaving because I need to get out of Coral Gables suburbia hell!! I'm sure it's a nice place if you have a family (though i still wouldn't choose it) or want quiet etc but I like walking places and here you have to get in your car and drive to shops or a restaurant or whatever and it's pretty depressing...So I am just glad to be getting out!! Flamingo seems like heaven compared to this..I'm actually looking forward to hearing the vacationing drunks screaming I love Miami!!
    One thing I have learnt in my 2 weeks here is that SoBe is the only part of Miami that I like..I can understand why locals don't want to live in SoBe because of tourists etc but the rest is just blah to me...
    Hahaha, you got a taste of suburbia, yeah, that's pretty much it, and yes, it's hell, but believe me, there are far worse places in Miami than Coral Gables, I bet you haven't visited places like Kendall, Doral, Hialeah, and further north, in Broward county, Pembroke Pines and all the other horribly depressing mini cities/suburbs.

Yes, Miami Beach (and Brickell) are pretty much the only places any sane person would want to live, everything else is ugly, boring and depressing, and if you don't have a car you might as well just kill yourself.

Well I'm renting in SoBe for this month and the next. However, it is getting tiring commuting with or without a car to UM as sometimes I really would benefit from being able to leave and return later, which I can't do right now. And I'm sure as the work piles up I'm not going to have the time to waste commuting when I only need to go in for an hour say..
    I might have to move to Brickell which I didn't want to do but all roads seem to be leading there!!

Any one know anything about the Sunset area? Or is that just going to be like Coral Gables all over again?

What about Coconut Grove? I would live there if I didn't live on the beach.

Yeh, I am going to look into that option..I have heard there is an art festival on there this weekend so maybe I can check that out too!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345