Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By GandJ
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Finding a Legitimate Real Estate Agent: - The Basics

Default Finding a Legitimate Real Estate Agent: - The Basics

Lately, there has been a lot of discussion about real estate, … both rentals and purchasing. One concern was about finding a legitimate, licensed Realtor.

First of all, all Realtors,by definition, are licensed. However,not all people with a real estate license are Realtors. A “Realtor”is someone who is a member of the “National Association Realtors”. To be a member of the National Association of Realtors, a person is required to be licensed,and also that person has a higher level of minimum training requirements than those who only have a real estate license.

I realize that much of the general public uses the term “realtor” to mean anyone who sells real estate, even though that is not necessarily accurate. Unfortunately, some unscrupulous licensees play off this misconception, and call themselves “Realtors”, even if they are not true Realtors. True Realtors earn the title through a greater degree of training standards than simple real estate license holders.

To check if someone really is a true Realtor, you can check the membership directory of your local Association of Realtors.
    Here is a link to the membership directory of the Miami Association of Realtors, which is the local chapter of the National Associationof Realtors …. (Last and First name should work.)

http://ims.miamire.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=IMS&PRGNAME=IMSMemberLogin&AR GUMENTS=-ARAMB&ServiceName=OSRH&NotLogin=Y

If the person is listed in the directory in the link above,then that person is both licensed, and has met a higher training requirement than someone who only has a license, and is not a member of the Association. Note that there are some other local Associations of Realtors, such as the South Broward Association of Realtors, etc., which are also local chapters of the National Association of Realtors. So, if the person’s name does not come up immediately in the Miami Association of Realtors,ask the person if he is in another local Association of Realtors. You can then check that local Realtor Asociation's membership directory online to confirm.

Checking to see if the person is a genuine Realtor is a good starting point to look for a good real estate agent. Of course, there can be exceptions to the rule. Not all Realtors are good, and not all non-Realtors are bad. Someone who is just licensed, but not a member of the Realtor Association can be okay. In all cases, make sure the person is licensed. As explained earlier, a person in the Realtor Association is licensed by definition. To see of a non-Realtor is licensed, you can check with the Florida state licensing board.

You can use the link below to look up the state licensing information. All real estate license holders, whether they are a “Realtor” or just a license holder, will be listed with state’s licensing board. Once you bring up the person's name, you also can click on the person’s name to see if there were any complaints filed against him, as well as the disposition of those complaints.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp?mode=0&SID=

Looking up whether the person is licensed, or is a member of the local Realtor Association, or has any complaints against him are all a good start. Those pieces of info will tell you about legalities, and training, and potential complaints. Keep in mind that these things won’t tell you if the person is friendly, or extra helpful, etc. The best method is to get recommendations from other satisfied customers, but it is still a good idea to check the records of people who have been recommended to you. Even bad real estate agents can have a fair number of satisfied customers. So, get recommendations from friends and other satisfied customers, but also always start with the basics to make sure the person is legitimate, and is not a complaint magnet.

Best luck.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 01-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    mirna, rk, Matt Meltzer and 2 others like this.

Default Re: Finding a Legitimate Real Estate Agent: - The Basics

Awesome Post!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Should be made a "sticky!"

Leo

I agree with Fred...should be made a sticky.

Thank you Glen for taking the time to share with us that valuable information. Every contribution like that helps so many of us in becoming more knowledgeable, aware and prepared. This site has been a tremendous help to me and it's because of the genuine kindness of its members that offer their personal experience, insight, unconditional desire to help a person (being able to relate to a person who may be in a similar situation to them when they first moved) and most importantly ...their time.

Thanks for the compliments! Hopefully, some people can make use of the links to avoid fakes or frauds, or complaint-filled agents, and avoid some headaches.

Glenn

I think your post is going to be very useful to people apartment hunting!!
    I have found a place now but I would definitely have consulted the links you offered if I was was unsure about a realtor..
    Nobody wants to be ripped off or made a fool of...So knowing you are dealing with someone legit gives one piece of mind and that's a huge thing!

People are just wayy to trusting these days, even after they are warned.

Countless people hand us blank money orders or make checks out to me personally. I am always just shocked at how willing people are to give money to someone they don't know.

Deposits should always go to an Escrow / Realty Company
    You can always check the company & agent on the links above
    it should be clearly written how you get the money back if your offer is denied or you are denied by association
    Your agent should always be present at move in/ key exchange and assist with anything out of place, broken, etc. (My phone is full of photos of client's apartments where items are broken and need to be addressed by the landlord)
    You should always check the LIQUIDATED DAMAGES clause and LANDLORD REPAIR LIMIT. ....Liquidated Damages is HOW MUCH YOU PAY WHEN YOU BREAK THE LEASE!! NEVER MORE THAN 2 MONTHS, Any good realtor should do this for you! That's why you hired someone..To negotiate/fight for YOUR BEHALF, NOT THE LANDLORDS!
    Repairs on a Condo should never be more than $250 and a house $400. Ideally, it should be $100-$150 which is standard without a home warranty. A house is tougher and tenants usually are required to do some maintenance.
    These 2 items are often overlooked and all people end up caring about are 'What price did they get me per month' and 'When do I move in'.
    I'd rather pay $50 more per month and have a 1 month termination clause than $100 less per month and NO Clause. Maybe in Orlando this is ok, but in Miami, you never know why you have to break a lease!!!!! (Old Building, Mold Issues, Noise Noise Noise, terrible neighbors, crime, job relocations every day here, etc.)
    GandJ and callme2 like this.

Good info, SoBeSpace!

Glenn

Glenn,

What are the requirements for a buyer's agent?

Quote Originally Posted by MadeInJersey View Post
    Glenn,

What are the requirements for a buyer's agent?

MadeInJersey -

A buyer's agent still needs to be licensed, just as a listing agent does. You can look up the person in state link I posted earlier. Or, look up someone in the Realtor Association link. If the person is in the Realtor Association roster, then that indicates he is both licensed and has more training.

I am licensed in Virginia, and work in DC suburbs, but many rules are common to most states. Sobespace is a local south FL agent, and he can probably give more specifics.

Glenn

A Buyer's agent is a Real Estate agent.

Basically a Buyer's agent works with buyer side of the transaction and the listing agent works with the seller. The 2 Agents negotiate back n forth until a deal is done.

It's just a way to describe how that agent is helping someone, but they are all agents in the end.

Some agents don't work with buyers because they hate doing it (Showing properties, deals falling apart, etc.) so they rely on finding listings and sitting back and waiting for a 'buyer's agent' to come through with a deal.

Hope this helps!
    GandJ likes this.

I actually found some good information on the Suze Orman website for exclusive buyers agents, I thought I would share.

http://naeba.org/