we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Almost have my degree and want to move

New User

Smile Almost have my degree and want to move

Hi!

I'm at my last year of degree of physics, I'm 23 and I live un Spain. I'm just tired living here and i always wanted to live in USA and i thought un Miami. I don't care if i can't find a job of something related to physics (although i'd prefer) but i just want a change in my life. I don't have money. I could borrow from my parents, but a i'd prefer not. So I would need a job and some place to live.

Can anyone help me please?!

Default Re: Almost physicist and wanting to moving on

Well, I can help by asking the all important question... do you have a visa?

Without a visa, you cannot move here legally. If you have a degree in physics, why not look for a job in Miami that will sponsor you to come and work in that field?
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Default Re: Almost physicist and wanting to moving on

A friend of mine just got a degree in Physics and has become a Physics professor in FSU, a little further north than Miami. You can look into becoming a Physics professor in one of the Miami Colleges, or High schools. I feel like that department always seems a little understaffed.

rk

Default Re: Almost have my degree and want to move

As others have pointed out, you need a visa to stay and work in the US. A Physics degree by itself is not enough to qualify for a visa. To apply for a junior level professor's job at a legit college or university you'll need a PhD, and in case you have one you should try that route.

You should probably start by studying the types of visas that you may qualify for. One that is obvious and easy is the so-called "Diversity visa lottery", but only about a 1% chance of success. There are other avenues, too many to go into here, but take a look at recent threads where we discussed this:

How do people from Europe manage to live in Miami?
    Would like to find a job in Miami!!

BTW, if you restrict your job search to Miami you will limit your chances of getting one by a factor of 500 at least.

Hi Samu,

Are you planning to come to visit before your moving?

You need at LEAST a Masters degree to teach at the college level, in physics it may be a PhD. What level of degree do you have.

It's nice to think you'd like to come here and work, but it's really not that simple. Follow what rk told you and don't put the cart before the horse. Jobs here are extremely hard to come by, and you'd need to have a skill that the workforce here lacks. Granted, Miami is probably the most uneducated major city in America, so your degree helps. However we are not a big science/technology kind of city.

Have you looked at California? Much more in your field out there.
    samu likes this.

New User

I am at my fouth year. Very helpful! thanks!

Seems like a move to Miami might be tough. But as an EU citizen, you could come on a vacation for three months (just need a passport and register online before) and see if you actually like the city.

As far as finding a job, the likelihood that a company would want to sponsor someone fresh out of university is very very low. Generally foreigners who get sponsored for visas are advanced in a specific field.

Professors can get that kind of sponsorship, but yeah, typically not ones straight out of school. I think a PhD might rate that if you're coming out highly touted, but that's about it.