Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Buying a car with a UK license?

Hi guys,
    I am going to do some research on this myself as I keep getting conflicting information but thought this would be a good place to start!!
    I rented a car this week and it cost me an absolute fortune so can't keep it up..I need to commute to UM from SoBe and all the people that I am meeting live all over the place..So attending class aside..it's going to be difficult to meet up with friends if I don't have a car!
    Can I buy a car and get insurance and drive with a UK license?
    Or am I going to encounter problems like needing a Florida license for insurance or any other unexpected difficulties?
    Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Buying a car with a UK license?

Mmmm. Good question. How long will you be here and driving? If it is over 12 months, you have to get a FL license by law.

rk

I have never done it myself, but you can probably buy a car. Insurance may prove more tricky, and in any case will be more costly with a foreign license. For that reason alone I strongly advise getting a FL license before doing anything else.

You're right RK- I called around today and I can buy a car no problem, but the insurance is looking impossible.
    The guy I spoke to about buying a car called around for me and said he only found one company that would insure me. So I'm going to call them tomorrow, though I'm pretty sure it's going to be ridiculously high...
    So I guess I'll have to take a written and driving test?
    I'd hoped I'd never have to do that again....Stressful!!

Also I have moved into the Flamingo...That seems to be a hot topic on this forum!

Here is all the info you need to get a drivers license in FL from Britain... it is my little story of how I got mine

How do I get my Drivers License?

I think Jess is the best person to listen to in regards to this topic since she has had experience in almost the identical situation. I feel sorry for you thinking you might have to go to the DMV that place is a disaster. Plan on wasting the entire day if not two at the DMV.

I literally HATE the DMV. It is a God awful experience in Miami.

Go to Broward county. It's easier.

Thanks for the tips...Too many things to do...I wish this city just had some kind of decent public transport!
    I mean even when you go out, you can't drink as you have to drive home...It's weird and no fun!

And if you're not in SoBe or Brickell, you can't even find a taxi!

And I'm sick of seeing people sitting around having long lunches and drinks when I have a never ending list of things to do!
    Anyway, rant over...I can start my day now!!

Oh girl, you gotta get over that. You LIVE here. They are on VACAY! They go home in a week to snow and cold. You have 75 degrees to enjoy year round. Or, they have lovely long lunches and then bartend from 10pm -6am, yeugh.

Basically, SoBe lifestyle envy gets you nowhere!

True, true, true...
    The weather is amazing! That I am very grateful for!!

This one's for you Jess as this seems to be your field...!
    If I make an appointment with the DMV..When should I try to make it for?
    What I'm asking, I guess is how long would it take me to prepare for the written test? And did you take any professional driving lessons so you knew what to expect for the test?
    Thanks-I read the story of how you got your license and that was helpful! At least I have an idea of what to expect now!

I did not take any driving lessons... I mean, I can drive and have done for years. And I had been driving here for years. As long as you know to wait 3 seconds at a stop sign, yield at 4 way stops, and when you turn left, turn into the near side lane you will be fine. Plus parking head first but that's easy.
    I'd try written tests online. But book now, cos there is a long wait usually for appointments to have these tests.

That's really helpful Jess..I've been really busy but I am going to defo book the test tomorrow.

Good luck! If you are confused about which test center, the further away from Miami downtown the better. I picked the one by Tamiami airport, which is great as it has very quiet streets for the test.

Thanks..I have been trying to get through to the DMV office but they are experiencing a high number of calls and I can't even be put on hold..They just cut you off..probably me calling at busy times..

I wanted to know if I could book the driving test and then the written after? Both have to be booked separately and I don't think I'd be able to get both at the same time as it's busy and there seem to be more slots for driving tests.

I'll try calling again but thought you might know from your own dealings and also on the website it says something about a security no. which I don't have yet..I need to find a job on campus to get that and I don't want a job at this point and it'd take over a month!

Ohhhh wait. Do you not have a social security number????

Here is the website you need for the documents needed: http://www.gathergoget.com/online/default.aspx

Thanks for the link! It did ask for a social security no. or letter from the office.
    So I rang the DMV at 7:30 this morning as I was desperate to speak to someone and thought i stood a good chance of someone answering at that time. The woman said as I was an international student, the I 20 and other proof of being a student here would be enough. So I can now go ahead and book. She said the written has to be done first though.
    I'll keep you posted with my success or failure!