we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aventura31
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Planning a Big Move to Miami

New User

Default Planning a Big Move to Miami

Hey Everyone. I'm a native New Yorker currently in graduate school studying Communications. After visiting Miami twice over the last few years, I realized I had a strong connection to the city; the culture, weather, beaches, and scenery all appealed to me. I've decided to give myself a year to budget some money (I have $6000 now, will build up more) and hopefully make the move after graduation this December.
    I have done my homework--it seems like Brickell and Coral Gables are out of my price range.
    I understand that a lot of companies may be hesitant to hire an out-of-towner. BUT, I feel like I have a few things in my favor. I have some family in Miami currently and know a few friends who've made the move from NYC as well.
    I also am fluent in Spanish. My mom was born in Spain and I grew up around Spanish culture, so the language barrier will be no problem even though I look white, haha.
    I am looking to get a job in the communications industry. Public relations, marketing, social media, the like. I'd be willing to work for a Latin American company as well. Is there an opportunity in this industry?
    I also have tutoring experience, so that could be a good source of side income to help pay for rent in the first few months
    my questions are the following:
    1) should i look into housing first, and then a job? or vice versa. i'll be applying to jobs in the fall (in NYC, Texas, and Miami)
    2) If Miami doesn't work out, would Fort Lauderdale be a good backup plan?

Any comments or suggestions you have would be appreciated.
    Gracias!!
    Partyrentalmiami likes this.

Default Re: Planning a Big Move to Miami

Well you have money and Spanish fluency, so you're a couple steps up on most people who write in here....

Look into a job first. I say this because if you end up working far from where you live, and you are in a traditional traffic pattern, your life will be HELL. Traffic here can completely ruin your experience to best to figure out where you're working then go from there.

Lauderdale shouldn't even be a backup plan, it should be part of the plan. As in apply for jobs in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties to up your chances. The job market in Miami is still super tight, so you may find better luck those other places. Then, if you find a job in one county, best to move there. Your options are wide open so take full advantage.

That said, visiting here three times and living here are 180 DEGREES from each other. Like, after your first year you will NEVER see the beach. You may make friends, but the place is so transient you will find yourself constantly losing them too. And EVERYBODY is shady. I mean nothing is on the up and up, people are flaky, and you can never really believe anything until you see it. If you are used to things being even mildly straightforward, this place will frustrate you to no end.

At least you have the language thing down though. Let us know what you find and we can help you look further and give you good neighborhood info.
    Jess likes this.

New User

Thanks Matt! I'll keep your points in mind. I'm def going to cast my net wide and not restrict myself to the Miami area in terms of the job hunt.
    I like your point about Miami being transient, which is why I'm trying to convince a friend or two to make the move down to SoFla with me. I feel like sharing an apartment and just having someone around would ease the transition.
    Buying a used car is definitely on my to-do list once if I move down there. My dad's garage charges him $330 or so a month for parking..any estimates as to parking rates?
    I also spoke to one of my good friends (she's from Weston) and she advised me about Aventura. I know there's a huge mall and not TOO far away from MIA. Any thoughts?
    Thanks again!

I live on Hollywood beach, near Aventura but I'm almost right on the sand when I come off my door step. The area is nice not as big into the club scene as South Beach, but there is no lack of beach, bars, pools, and (billiard) pool halls, and restaurants. I like the area very much, and it beats the cost of living of South Beach. Also I get to pay the Broward taxes and city fees which is less than the Dade County and everything up here seems more organized.

First off, best of luck on the job search! I am nearly in the same boat as you, although I did my grad school in Miami, moved away, and now and struggling to find a way back! I am looking into the same industry as well, perhaps a little more international business focused.

First things first-Awesome that you speak spanish. Not awesome that you are an out-of-towner. If I were you (and what I do) is to use your friend's address in Weston, or whatever friends address you have in the area, when applying for jobs (if this is possible.) I have very, very rarely heard of someone out of town getting a job down here through HR channels at a professional job. And it's not that Miami is chalk full of educated, capable individuals that would beat you out. I have come to the conclusion that HR people in Miami (perhaps indicative of the city?) are lazy, and don't want ANY added inconvenience when dealing with someone who isn't immediately available for an interview/starting a new job.

Well, best of luck. As far as areas to live, which will depend on where you work-Midtown, Brickell, Downtown, South Beach, North Beach, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove. Of course this all depends on where you will be working, but these are all areas that I would enjoy living in.

Matt is pretty much the same as me when we give advice to people moving here.

Look for the job first. Miami is a big place, with a terrible public transport system.

Defintely include Fort Lauderdale. It's just the same as Miami, only it's in America.

If you can, come down on a working vacation, and find the job. Showing up at places you want to work at is one of the only ways to get a job here.

New User

Wow. Thank you all for the responses guys!

Dylan: Hollywood Beach sounds fantastic--you're right on the beach, there's a good social scene, and you're paying less than you would in Dade. I'll definitely look into that.

fake_sunglasses: Thanks for the HUGE tip! I think what I'll do is apply to jobs immediately after I finish school this December. I know it takes time for some companies to reach out with the interview offer, but I'll definitely include my friends' address in Weston. She should be okay with that, haha.

Jess: I'm definitely leaning toward Fort Lauderdale. I like the idea of that working vacation...what I'll do is next January I'll fly down there for two weeks to do the job search and definitely show up at the spots I'm interested in.

Appreciate it guys! I'll keep you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Fort Lauderdale. It's just the same as Miami, only it's in America.
    They really oughta make that their city motto. Or at least use it in some sort of Chamber of Commerce campaign.

Aventura is ok if you work nearby. The commute to downtown Miami can br brutal from there, and it's a loooooong drive home from both Ft. Lauderdale and anywhere in Miami you'd wanna go out. I think Gulfstream might be the only nearby nightlife. I would advise against Aventura to anyone under 70.
    dylan likes this.

I like the Ft. Lauderdale statement I got a kick out of it.

Matt when I want night life I go to Seminole Hard Rock you can get there pretty quick from Hollywood and I always have a good time when I go out there. But I am not much into the club scene either.

Yeah I didn't think of that. Seminole actually is great for nightlife, I just think of it as being far from Hollywood since it's so far inland. But I guess it's really not.

As a Real estate agent, I can firmly say "JOB FIRST! APARTMENT SECOND! BECAUSE APARTMENTS ARE A DIME A DOZEN, AND JOBS ARE NOT"

Good luck in the transition. If you move to Miami dade county, send me a message and I'll help you find a good rental.

Good advice! that's what I did come to think of it. The job was the first confirmed thing I got when I was moving to Miami.

New User

Got it..so job first, then apartment second. I'll keep that in mind.
    My first choice for work would be Florida International since I have some friends getting their Masters there.
    Any notable differences between the two campuses?
    Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by aventura31 View Post
    Got it..so job first, then apartment second. I'll keep that in mind.
    My first choice for work would be Florida International since I have some friends getting their Masters there.
    Any notable differences between the two campuses?
    Thanks again guys.
    Major difference between the two FIU campuses. The main campus is in probably where you are interested in working. I believe the north campus is in North Miami (I think it deals more with hospitality management, marine science) although I may very well be incorrect. Anyways, I would imagine most of the administrative jobs lay at the main campus. Both are far from what many would think of when imagining "Miami" as far as beaches and nightlife. I'd think that the commute would be a killer from anywhere that you'd want to live. If you are looking into working at the local universities, check out University of Miami as well.

The North Campus is closer to "civilization" so to speak. FIU Main is way out there, not an area where there's much to do and a rough commute from anywhere. But as fake sunglasses said, most of the jobs are at Main.