• 2 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Upcoming move to Miami, advice on areas, logistics, insurance, etc

MSP
    New User

Default Upcoming move to Miami, advice on areas, logistics, insurance, etc

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post but I've read most of the relocating threads. It has been a great resource! My wife and I are most likely moving to Miami in about a month or so. We are a bit unusual in that we won't be looking for work in Miami...we spend most of our time traveling around the country for work (weeks to months away from home) and sometimes working remotely at home. We are moving from Minnesota and really want a warm place to go to between the weeks away from home that isn't completely filled with retirees. At this point we will rent until we get to know the area better.

Areas: We are trying narrow down where to look for places before heading out in person. I'd really like to be in a newer high-rise with lots of amenities close to the water with a good view, in an area with good restaurants and bars nearby. We aren't big party people but enjoy checking going out in the evening. We are in our mid-20s and have professional degrees. We are also very active, so something close to parks or trails, boardwalk, etc would be nice. I'd like to stick to about $2,500/month or less. We are considering Coral Gables, Brickell, south of fifth, North Miami Beach, Adventura. We will be flying a lot, so something closer or convenient to get to the airport would be better. What do you think might be best to focus on?

Logistics:
    Health Insurance - Being self-employed through my company, we currently just have solo plans, but I don't think our plans our transferrable to Minnesota. Anyone using a plan they like for this in Florida?
    Car Insurance - It sounds like insurance is pricey in the city. Are there any neighborhoods in Miami that would typically have lower rates? We have 2 BMWs.

That's all I can think of for now. Thank you!

Default Re: Upcoming move to Miami, advice on areas, logistics, insurance, etc

2 BMWs?! Well, shit, you're practically Miamians already. If only they were leased and you lived with your parents.....

All joking aside, South Beach is probably your best bet. You can probably find a 1 BR in a highrise south of 5th in your price range. And it's very walkable to bars, restaurants, nightlife and what passes for parks here. Miami, we don't have things like "trails" or really "parks" to speak of like they do in other cities. South Pointe Park down there is nice, but it still feels like a giant lawn in the middle of gross overdevelopment. "Trails," like for biking or offroad running are basically nonexistant. Key Biscayne would be the closest, prob a 15 mintue drive from South Beach.

South Beach also is not a bad drive to MIA. So for flights you're good.

I'd say avoid Aventura (all old people and far from mcu and not walkable) Brickell is very urban, but also pretty much all South American so you will feel very much an outsider the times you are home. Coral Gables is nice, and close to the airport, but a long way from the water. Midtown is kinda cool too. It's getting more and more restaurants and bars by the week, and is sort of the new place for younger professionals. Not near much in the way of places to run, though. It's very urban too.

North Miami Beach is a pretty bad area. Now, the norther part of the city of Miami Beach isn't bad (different area completely. Confusing, I know) isn't bad, but there's not much up there so you'll have to drive or cab to South Beach to do much of anything.

Insofar as car insurance, anywhere you'd want to live is going to be SUPER expensive. Hence why so many here just flat out don't have it.

MSP
    New User

Well they are leased, so looks like we are just one step closer to fitting in, haha. Unfortunately we chose black on black and all the cold weather options possible. Funny thing is I just did a quote on esurance using a random south of 5th address and insurance was significantly less than what we are paying in MN. So maybe that won't be an issue after all!

We'll focus on south of 5th and check out midtown as well. Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums!

First - Car Insurance is based on Zip Code so 33140 (Mid Beach) is probably going to be cheaper than 33139 (South Beach) and definitely cheaper than 33132 or 33137 (Over the bridge by I-95)

South of Fifth is great, but you won't find a 2 Bedroom there in that price range and lucky to find a 1 Bedroom. I just showed a 1 Bedroom loft with roof patio on 4th & Meridian for $3200/month and they were firm on price.

You may get a unit at Portifino (90 Alton Road, quiet end of South of Fifth) for $2800-$3000/month for a 1 bedroom. That's a famous high rise with great amenities (racquetball, pool, concierge, parking, gym, spa)

You can get a 1 Bedroom at the new ArteCity complex (21st Street/22nd Street) which is near the ocean, all units are new, 2 pools, concierge, gym, club room, media room, and private beach service (nice plus!) on the sand between The W & The Setai. Prices are $2700 or so and top of the line fixtures. Its valet parking only though in the garage downstairs. This is actually in the 33140 zip code so you may get a break on insurance premiums to off-set the cost of your new 1 bedroom.

You can probably snag a 2 Bedroom at The Waverly in South Beach (13th & West) for around $2700 or so. The building offers a Zen Garden, Tennis, Excellent Pool area, balconies, pet friendly, valet & assigned parking and a great location on the bay. The building pays for your complete Cable package as well as water/sewer & parking.

Aventura is totally different story. Its a traffic congested area but there are some nice, tucked away parts near the causeway heading to Sunny Isles Beach. Parc Plaza comes to mind as you can get a 3 Bedroom (or 2 Bedroom with den) for $1900-$2000/month. Its a Dual High-rise building with pool, gym, volleyball, parking ( can rent up to 4 spots), 24/7 door man, valet, etc. There is also a free shuttle bus that picks up out front and takes you around Aventura (The Mall is a stop) and a shuttle that takes you to the ocean in Sunny Isles.

You get a whole lot more for your money the further north you go. South of Fifth is the prime area in South Beach so you end up over paying but its a great part of town.

Brickell, you'll get a nice 1 bedroom in a 4-5 star building for $1800-$2000 and a 2 Bedroom for $2250-$2500. All will have great pools, gym, parking, etc.

If you are ready to start pounding the pavement, let me know and I'll send you what's available.

Good luck in your move!
    rk and GandJ like this.

rk

You'll find your $2500 will get a lot more in Brickell than in south of fifth, esp if you want a nicer building with water view. West Ave is overall cheaper for rents than sofi and should be on your map, along with mid-beach. Also a good idea to rent for a while before buying. Some good advice from sobespace.

MSP
    New User

How much time in advance is generally needed to line up a rental? If we were looking to move in June, when is the best time to start looking? And about how much time is usually needed to look, about a week?

Thanks

Short term rentals, especially in the summer, you can do the week of. If you want to do longer-term, start looking the week before.

Hey SobeSpace, 21-22 st is still zip code 33139. That is still South Beach.

Also, I do not recommend that building. Still a LOT of construction going on there, and in the roads.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    How much time in advance is generally needed to line up a rental? If we were looking to move in June, when is the best time to start looking? And about how much time is usually needed to look, about a week?

Thanks
    A week should be enough. For a non-vacation type rental, I would look 3 or 4 weeks before you plan to move in.

A week? Are you people crazy??? it takes a week just to get a signed lease and the building application. The association process then takes 7-14 days atleast! And you can't start the process without a signed lease and sometimes there are pages in the App that need to be signed by the landlord and guess where most of them live?? Not in Miami! Not in Florida!

3-4 Weeks you should be looking and ready to do an offer. 2 weeks at the bare minimum if you are quick and have a clean background and good credit. 1 week or less is NOT going to happen.

Octagon - 14 business days (they only allow 1 year leases)
    Flamingo - 7-10 days (even short term stays)
    Keystone Management - 5-9 days
    Royal Management - 7 Days
    Decoplage - 5-7 days (even short term stays)
    Regatta Management - 5-8 days

And these are NON-Interview buildings. If you have an interview, forget about it! Add another 2-5 days of wait time. (1130 11th Street, 7600 Collins,etc.)

There is a building on 8th & Lenox & 335 Ocean, and are the only ones that will do 24 hour approval.

This is all for long term rentals mainly but even 3 & 6 month people need to do association approval for the most part.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Sobespace, I see your hostility growing every day on this site. F-ing LOVE it!!!

See what happens folks? You start out all nice and cheerful and Rah-Rah Miami. Then it's "You people are NUTS!!!!'
    Jess likes this.

We live on West Avenue and think its the best place in South Beach. Close to everything and very walkable.

Thumbs up Re: Upcoming move to Miami, advice on areas, logistics, insurance, etc

Quote Originally Posted by sunaddicted View Post
    We live on West Avenue and think its the best place in South Beach. Close to everything and very walkable.
    Good to hear from you Sunaddicted!

Hope you have been well !

Have a great holiday!

You been hit with the police crosswalk sting recently, sunaddicted? Those bastards are back out there!!

MSP
    New User

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Here is an update. We moved to a nice 2 bed/2 bath unit in Brickell June 1 for $2,500/month. We are very fortunate to be renting from owners that lived in the unit themselves and will be remaining local. One remains on the board of the building's association. The application process with the association's management took a few weeks with lots of supporting documentation required. The management company has a strange requirement of all residents being employed, and it was difficult to provide proof of employment being self-employed. So far people in the area seems very friendly despite the stereotype.

Actually, I think it's great that your building requires everyone to be employed. That way you don't get any of the 'Miami' party people, who come to town for a few months on a trust fund and just party and piss everyone else off in the building. Trust me, that sounds like a GREAT rule!

MSP what building are you in?

It has amazed me how disorganized some of the buildings can be along the beach. And the employees all seem to prefer their leisurely pace of doing things, over actually being efficient. I have seen it from South Beach up to Hollywood beach. If a building takes that long for me to get moved in, imagine how bad it can be if there is a maintenance issue or something.

Land of manana, pal. It's that island attitude. And lets not even start to talk about government offices.