Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Zac
    New User

Default Moving to Miami Q&A

Hello everyone, after reading these forums for hours, I decided to join! I'm from Pensacola now (worst city in Florida) and I'm a senior in college here. I plan on going into real estate, but I don't want to practice here. Does anyone on here sell real estate in Miami? How is the market?
    I'm white, and I've heard the struggles that some people face when moving to Miami, but anything is better than redneck homophobic Pensacola!
    Any information would be helpful.
    Thanks!

P.S. how much money should I have saved up before I move?

Default Re: Moving to Miami Q&A

Welcome to the forums!

One thing Miami is NOT is redneck or homophobic. So you'll feel happier here for sure.

SoBe Space is a realtor on here, and seems to like it. One thing is though, there is a ton of realtors in Miami, especially South Beach.

Zac
    New User

Thanks Jess!
    I would love to live in the SoBe/SoFi area, and I've noticed online that there are a lot of art deco houses with studio apartments. Are these considered safe? I don't feel the need for an expensive high rise just yet.

SoFi is very safe. I lived in an Art Deco building for two years there and was very happy.

Welcome to the Forums..

Without money backing you, support from locals, connections, or people willing to help, I would advise against becoming a new Realtor in Miami...it will drive you absolutely mad!! If my wife didn't help me 24/7 I would have died already.

The realtors in this city are NOTHING like you've ever experienced and that's what makes it soo difficult. Wrong Lockbox codes, No Lockbox and lazy agents don't want to meet, NO ONE answers their phones, Active listings area actually Rented/Sold/Pending and they just don't want to update until the client closes/moves in even though they have a signed contract/lease, No door keys so you stand outside in the sun for 20 minutes waiting for someone to come out while your client thinks you're an idiot..oh and by the way, 95% are of Hispanic decent so if you don't speak Spanish, its hard to communicate with them or decipher what they are saying.

If i had a choice and was able to start over a few years back, I would have started in Ft. Lauderdale Beach / Las Olas area. Ft. Lauderdale is night & day compared to Miami. I had a full-time job at Doral making $40k so I did both careers my first 8 months being licensed. My wife began to help full-time in September and did a ton of work or me while I worked or I would have been fired from Doral or lost my R.E clients.

I love having my own schedule but its completely consumed us now that neither are working real jobs. We have to rely on closings to pay bills so we work pretty much 24/7. That gives us an edge on the competition and blows other Realtors out of the water in this city, but also gives us no personal time. Its definitely a sacrifice but we know one day we'll be top agents and it will all be worth it (atleast we hope!)

You'll need over $1,500 to get started (class, test, MLS dues, Insurance, Initiation fee at company, Supra, Biz Cards, Website, etc.)
    IF your background isn't 100% spotless, it will take about 3 months to get approved to take the test. (even a bad check will cause your file to go to review by the board who meets once a month at an arbitrary time)

Good luck!

Zac
    New User

Sobespace,
    Thanks for the tips. I sent you a PM, but this more than answers my questions. I'm already been approved to take my state exam, and my record is spotless. I'm open to Ft. Lauderdale, but there is something about the size of Miami that is addicting. Also, I think being from the panhandle, I want the polar opposite. Would it be out of the question to move to Ft. Lauderdale and gradually make my way to Miami?

Zac -

If you like the Miami/South Beach life, but still want clients who show up on time, respect your time, and speak English, why not live in Miami/South Beach, but work up in Broward / Ft Lauderdale area?
    You'll have the drive/commute, but you'll be doing a lot of driving anyway. You can set up appointments in north Dade or south Broward to hit on the way to an office in Ft. Lauderdale.

Zac
    New User

I know whatever happens I will need to leave Pensacola whether I sell real estate or use my Marketing degree. I have friends that are moving to the Tampa area, but that doesn't do it for me. I'm craving an energy that isn't here or Tampa. When I think of Ft. Lauderdale, I think of all elderly retired people. I'm afraid I couldn't get a job in Miami in marketing due to the language barrier.

GandJ, I would be open to that idea if thats what it took.

Ft. Lauderdale is not old or retired at all. maybe West Boca Raton or West Delray. Lauderdale is actually very young, urban. Believe me, as an American you will find yourself going up there to party within a year.

You'll need about $8000 saved to start out here, though, be it in Broward or Dade. Anything less and you may find it impossible to survive unless you start work from Day 1. Otherwise I'd suggest finding a job before you move here.

Don't commute to Broward, it's brutal and you'll spend even more of your life in your car than you already do. If you wanna work in Miami. live in Miami. And vice versa. But I will tell you you will probably be happier north of the Dade Broward line.

Pensacola does suck, either would be an improvement. Hell, Jacksonville would be an improvement. But worst city in Florida?!! P-Cola is at least near a beach. You ever been to Lakeland?!

Zac
    New User

Never been. Did any of y'all move down without a job lined up?

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    Never been. Did any of y'all move down without a job lined up?
    Elderly and Retired?? Not hardly.

You definitely need to stay for a week or two in both places before you decide on living & working. I think your vision on Miami is not reality, same with Ft. Lauderdale. Miami can be paradise or hell, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach will never be either or.

Venture over to Las Olas Blvd at restaurants like Rocco's Tacos and see how many retired people you see on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday night :-) Even the women there rival south beach...go over to the beach area and its a completely different atmosphere than Ocean Drive beach area....at least everyone speaks English!

Lots of boutique real estate offices in Ft. Lauderdale Beach / Las Olas area and its a boater's heaven with all the canals & Intercoastal.

Zac
    New User

It's crazy how Ft. Lauderdale and Miami can be so different from each other and be so close in distance. Everyone seems to talk it up so much and it makes me wonder why y'all dont move there? I guess I will just have to visit both. I'm sure Ft. Lauderdale will be much better than Pensacola.

I frequent both areas, and I live right at the division of the two, and they really are very different each has its pros, and cons. I think both are great over all, and if you are near the beach I think it is hard to go wrong with either one.

Fort Lauderdale just feels like a nice American city. It is the opposite of how Miami feels. It just depends which suits you and your tastes.

I think Mobile might be an improvement over Pensacola. That's not saying much.

Zac
    New User

Mobile is a "slight" improvement, but its still in Alabama. I used to live 20 min from Atlanta, and while being in the south, it was way more open-minded than Pensacola. In Pensacola there are some hipsters, but mainly bible belt maniacs! Nothing against religion, but I'm talking about people standing on street corners with a bible in their hands and screaming at the cars that drive by. I've been harassed on the beach before by protestors asking if I know where I'm going when I die.

<<..."I've been harassed on the beach before by protestors asking if I know where I'm going when I die."...>>

When they ask where you're going when you die, look at 'em with a straight face, and yell, "I'm going to Disney World!" The reaction could be priceless!

Mobile can't be that bad, could it? After all, it did give the world Jimmy Buffett. Mobile was his first "Beachin' and Boatin' " stomping grounds, long before he "adopted" the Keys persona. Ya, he was born just over the line in Mississippi, but he grew up in the Mobile area. Mobile also gave the U.S. it's first Mardi Gras celebration, before NOLa adopted it.

Glenn

Zac
    New User

Glenn, I live in Pensacola which is where I was harassed lol. I don't get to Mobile very much, so I don't have much to say about it. I do have some friends from there and they all want to leave.

I was in Mobile a couple of years ago. Can't say I found a redeeming feature.