we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By fake_sunglasses
  • 1 Post By moltobene
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: The unemployment picture

Default The unemployment picture

One of the most common inquiries on this site are from persons seeking the move to Miami and the subesquent need for employment.

I don't contribute to those threads but read the respones. They may seem cruel and might appear as an attempt to waterdown someone's aspirations. The fact is; those who have contributed the dire news are spot on.

This morning, I read an WSJ article ( http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000....html?mod=e2tw ) which captured my attention....especially the item about how 23% of USC grads ( fighton) with MBA degrees can't find work three months into post graduation. This was unheard 15 years ago. Reading this coincided with an experience I had yesterday that really honed in the situation.

As it was cold yesterday, I decided to go to the indoor pool and swim a mi. on consecutive days. Shortly after I started, I noticed a gal just entered the lane next to me and smoked past me a few times. As I swim with a snorkel head set, I sneaked a peak as she blew by me. When she switched to breast-stroke mode, I had a great view of her lower body movements and calculated she must be around 30ish. Anyways.... we concluded our swim at the same time. When her face was disclosed, it defied the age of her body. She in fact was 52. That obviuosly led me to talk about her conditiong and how she does it. That eventually lead to her telling me her brief story that she's been living with her parents last threee weeks and is currently unemployed. She's seeking a teaching job. We jived well and I asked if she wanted to come over to the house later as my HS counselor sister would be coming over.

So she arrived bearing me a gift of a hefty jar of Grey Poupon wrapped in ribbons. I snuck a hint it was my birthday.
    Eventually we got to know her better and wasn't suprised she was well decorated with degrees from fine institutions.
    You can catch the drift here .... http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge...#axzz2MbFEtqU4

To speed forward a bit..... she was giving my sister advise about my neice who's distraught at college and confused about her career path. Strange, as my sister does this for a living, and she was on point, all the while giving my ailing feet massage at the same time ( it'll make sense if you read the link ). She wooed everyone in the room on every subject touched on. There is no reason this woman can't find a job and now scavenge for scraps.

The bottom line is that there is no way in our society this woman should be unemployed and bustle now to seek a minimum wage job. You just don't expect that from someone with a Harvard degree.

I suppose the moral lof the story is directed to those seeking relocation and employment in Miami or elsewhere. If you're searching for a simple service industry job...you are now competing now with the highly educated for even menial work. Persons out of college and $200G in debt will scrub toilets and bide for time.

For an owner of a street cafe in MB, it's a feather in his cap when he can brag his new waiter went to Brandeis.

After Dara left, we were confounded on her situation and highlighting how impressive an individual she is......even saddened about. We all agreed to each seek how each could to help her out.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 03-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Default Re: The unemployment picture

That's a very touching story Blackford. We don't kid when we tell people, it is very hard to find a job here.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    That's a very touching story Blackford. We don't kid when we tell people, it is very hard to find a job here.
    I just joined this forum this evening and I guess I got my answer.

It's all networking, I think. Networking or doing something shady.

It really is a sad state of affairs these days. I'm currently unemployed, and not that I am the most qualified person for every job, hold a master's degree, bilingual, and have ample international work experience. I can't quote the article verbatim, but I recently saw in the New York Times that 9 out of every 10 jobs lost from 2008-present have been mid-career, professional jobs. The article went on to say the jobs that have been added to the economy have been manual labor, or jobs where degrees aren't necessary. I am currently trying to relocate back to Miami, but given the economy, it is more of a pipe dream than anything else.

The scariest thing now is a generation of educated people who have no possible way of repaying hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt. Here comes a new bubble...
    Matt Meltzer and e.artist like this.

Wow!

Thanks for sharing this IMPORTANT story!

As per that last response, it seems higher education has lost it's value. For profit educational colleges aside. the internet is close to admitting tens of thousands in a class room setting meant for 60 in a theatrical setting.

As an example: My university today has ~38,000 students enrolled. In general, that's a large student body. Via classes through the internet, enrollment in that college can easily reach 500G. What are these people then going to do with their degrees ? Where are the jobs ?

If I was young, and after surveying the pusuits of aspiring students and their lofty ambitions, I'd go old schoo. Pursue getting matriculated at Texas A&M and study agriculture. No matter how this world changes, people will always have the need to eat. Vegetarians aside- BEEF. It's for dinner.

I'd rather be elbow deep in a cow's ass while hordes figure out their higher education is useless.

We are almost at that point in our history.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 03-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.

New User

I agree. Either everything is going to come full circle and go back to agriculture or other trades or this, I fear...is it.

I've been saying for the last few years...America's had a "good run." When I see pictures of major cities all across Europe and how modernized they all are nowadays, it gets me wondering..shouldn't OUR cities look like that by now? Google Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It will stagger your mind to see how those two cities bounced back from utter destruction.

I would like to be as optimistic as possible, but I firmly believe that there is simply no incentive for companies to stay here. They go abroad because it's cheaper and they escape high taxes. The companies that are doing extremely well like Google, Facebook, GE, and others get huge bonuses and Facebook for example, avoids taxes. I wanted to post the link to that story but I'm not allowed yet.
    As much as I love Miami, I'm scared to relocate there and take the risk. I'm 46 and currently living in Pennsylvania and I have a part-time job in retail. It's not the worst job I've ever had, but it's such a dead-end position. I've asked for full time, but they refuse to give it to me.

Yes...the new bubble will be the Student Loan Debt bubble. I've been hearing about that for the last two years, but nothing so far. I think it's building up. I've also heard stories about the retirement age dropping to 55. Which I think is sad and funny being that I'm 46 now and my brother is 52 and only can find part-time work as well. I guess by dropping the retirement age it will allow everyone to "move up" in way? So many companies are forcing people to retire early too. Like JcPenney's for example; They are going through a total restructuring of their brand.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by e.artist View Post
    I agree. Either everything is going to come full circle and go back to agriculture or other trades or this, I fear...is it.

I've been saying for the last few years...America's had a "good run." When I see pictures of major cities all across Europe and how modernized they all are nowadays, it gets me wondering..shouldn't OUR cities look like that by now? Google Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It will stagger your mind to see how those two cities bounced back from utter destruction.

I would like to be as optimistic as possible, but I firmly believe that there is simply no incentive for companies to stay here. They go abroad because it's cheaper and they escape high taxes. The companies that are doing extremely well like Google, Facebook, GE, and others get huge bonuses and Facebook for example, avoids taxes. I wanted to post the link to that story but I'm not allowed yet.
    As much as I love Miami, I'm scared to relocate there and take the risk. I'm 46 and currently living in Pennsylvania and I have a part-time job in retail. It's not the worst job I've ever had, but it's such a dead-end position. I've asked for full time, but they refuse to give it to me.

Yes...the new bubble will be the Student Loan Debt bubble. I've been hearing about that for the last two years, but nothing so far. I think it's building up. I've also heard stories about the retirement age dropping to 55. Which I think is sad and funny being that I'm 46 now and my brother is 52 and only can find part-time work as well. I guess by dropping the retirement age it will allow everyone to "move up" in way? So many companies are forcing people to retire early too. Like JcPenney's for example; They are going through a total restructuring of their brand.
    Companies are also developing expensive technology to replace many workers here in U.S. ..
    For starters I can say I currently work for a major potato chip company as a HR manager.By 2015 hundreds of workers will be let go or forced into permanent part - time positions ,without benefits.. This process will affect plants all over the country ,including ,Orlando F.L., and where I presently work in Connecticut..
    e.artist likes this.

This is like the most cheerful thread EVER!!!!

You know my solution: Population control.

Planet's overpopulated, I think we all know that. And modern medicine is allowing people to live longer. And prosperity in countries that still value large families because they have an agricultural or religious mentality means they are. AND major wars (bad as they are) and diseases don't take near the tolls they used to. So what do we get?

Too many people, not enough jobs.

I've always said I'm doing my "act locally" part by never having children. Preach all you want about the environment and going green and creating jobs, but it's probably the best thing most of us can do for mankind.
    PinkFlaming0 likes this.

New User

Oh people are living longer nowadays compared to the days of yesteryear when the common cold would kill, but there are also more cases of different forms of cancer appearing. And yes..."most cheerful thread EVER!" I concur. LOL

What were we talking about anyways? Oh yeah....jobs in Miami. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I've always said I'm doing my "act locally" part by never having children. Preach all you want about the environment and going green and creating jobs, but it's probably the best thing most of us can do for mankind.
    Amen to that!

Wow. Most cheerful thread EVER is right! But I am glad we are writing this, as I find it so interesting.

I actually recently went back to school, I'm paying it for myself and I'm enjoying it. I am going part time and online. But there is a niggle in the back of my mind that says, what am I going to do with this degree? So I am going for now for the pleasure of learning, and not for the hope of a better job as I don't think it leads to that anymore.

Well I think the number one reason that things are so tough for the employment scene is because of outsourcing. We started to outsource, and drove prices down, and robbed jobs to the point, that I fear we will permanently be an outsourcing production country we can not afford the shift in that market that would accompany self-sufficient production.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    As per that last response, it seems higher education has lost it's value. For profit educational colleges aside. the internet is close to admitting tens of thousands in a class room setting meant for 60 in a theatrical setting.

As an example: My university today has ~38,000 students enrolled. In general, that's a large student body. Via classes through the internet, enrollment in that college can easily reach 500G. What are these people then going to do with their degrees ? Where are the jobs ?

If I was young, and after surveying the pursuits of aspiring students and their lofty ambitions, I'd go old school. Pursue getting matriculated at Texas A&M and study agriculture. No matter how this world changes, people will always have the need to eat. Vegetarians aside- BEEF. It's for dinner.

I'd rather be elbow deep in a cow's ass while hordes figure out their higher education is useless.

We are almost at that point in our history.

Excellent point. I read recently how the government has been buying up land hand over fist, wonder why that is? If you have money invested in 401k's I would take it out and buy farmland some where in the Midwest and set up shop. Look at commodity prices.

My other question is, why is college so expensive and is it necessary for professors to have tenure? I read recently a professor at UNC Chapel Hill (who was arrested for drug smuggling in S.America) requested a raise doubling his salary. What the ...!?!?!

New User

I believe outsourcing is just the tip of the iceberg in America. There's other variables that are also playing a part in the destruction of this country's work eithics and opportunity. One big thing is the lobbyists. Now that coporations are considered "people" they can contribute unlimited cash to candidates and current lawmakers that hold office. This is a powerful tool that sways how things are done and changes the playing field in this country. Representatives NO LONGER represent who puts them in office, but rather the corporation that "takes care of them." We have corruption at EVERY LEVEL in this country. Until the citizens of this country ban together and actually organize we will never see change. The Occupy movement was a great start, only who really can afford getting arrested all the time? What happened to the RIGHT TO ASSEMBLE in America? That's practically gone now as well.

You cannot have a country that operates soley on the service industry. Not everyone can or WANTS to do those type of jobs. Americans NEED to create and build things as well. Not just wait on one another with a "may I help you?" Consumerism is pushed down our throats every day in the United States. TV, Radio, the Internet. How can we keep buying things if we have no jobs to make money to purchase products? (most of the time it's stuff we don't really need, anyhow.)

In reality it's not the government's responsibilty to create jobs. That has to come from the private sector. It is, however, the private sector's responsibility to no betray America and BELIEVE in America's vision to keep the jobs HERE. (LOL...I sound like I'm running for office) I can understand partially WHY coporations are going ovrseas, but hey...if they have the influence to lobby Washington, then they should AT LEAST keep their base of operations here in America and give people JOBS. Another "old way of thinking" that needs to die is the "training an employee costs me money" mentality. An unskilled worker should be able to recieve free training once the interview process is complete. Maybe even make it like an apprenticeship where they earn only a small amount of money in the beginning and then gradually get a raise. I know some companies have probabtionary periods, but I mean there should be some type of testing before and after the final interview. They better come up with some idea because now we have millions of untrained people with college degrees that can't find a job in the field that they went to school for. Maybe schools and the private sector need to work closer with the curriculum and create some sort of system where potential employees rotate through the business before they actually graduate? We better start thinking outside the box very, very soon. America is being left in the dust.

Education is expensive because there's money to spend on it, simple supply and demand. Loans have created more money that people can pay, so schools charge more. While they cut BACK on tenured favulty as now something like 2/3 of classes are taught by grad students (who literally make nothing) and adjuncts (who figuratively make nothing) Where is all this money going? That's an excellent question. I'm gonna say landscaping.
    GandJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFlaming0 View Post
    Excellent point. I read recently how the government has been buying up land hand over fist, wonder why that is? If you have money invested in 401k's I would take it out and buy farmland some where in the Midwest and set up shop. Look at commodity prices.
    Like ........ Farmland in Iowa as doubled in value the last five years.

Spinning off a bit: I can't wait till hispanics, most of whom support amnesty start bitching their wages are pushed down or can't find work after 11M lurk out of the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Education is expensive because there's money to spend on it, simple supply and demand. Loans have created more money that people can pay, so schools charge more. While they cut BACK on tenured favulty as now something like 2/3 of classes are taught by grad students (who literally make nothing) and adjuncts (who figuratively make nothing) Where is all this money going? That's an excellent question. I'm gonna say landscaping.

Yup. More educational loans have actually pushed costs higher. It's a sad, but true irony. The more available money the students have/borrow, the more the colleges can charge.

Glenn

The economy is a viscous cycle, it drives prices higher and higher, while people do not make more at the same rate. The education system is a great example of that. Time to buy a farm make a bunker and hunker down.