• 1 Post By dylan
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 3 Post By dylan
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Seattle to Miami

New User

Default Seattle to Miami

Hey all,

New to the forum. I discovered this place while doing some searching and I was able to read some good responses. So I decided to post my situation. I'm trying to decide if I should get involved in pursuing a position in Medley, FL. First a little background about me and my family. I grew up in Jersey and my wife in WA. I am black, she is white. We have 4 children. 2 are grown. 2 living with us. Lived mostly in Portland, moved to Houston for work and now I work for Starbucks in Seattle. My wife works from home so she can essentially work anywhere as long as she has access to certain stores. I'm an accountant and have the opportunity to pursue a position in Medley. I'm not at all familiar with the area so I need to know some things. While in Houston I worked in Pasadena which is largely Hispanic but lived further out in a very nice community. I currently live outside of the city of Seattle, and a nice neighborhood in a decent area. I rent now because I own a house in Vancouver where I have renters in and I see no need to sell right now. I would rent there as well. Not sure where though! In Houston, Seattle we pay about 2k a month in rent for some pretty nice houses. What would be the going rate for a rental in an area that's safe, good schools, daughters are into gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, shopping...you know, the typical suburban lifestyle. My commute takes me an hour now, it took me an hour in Houston, and an hour back in Portland. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Seattle to Miami

If you're working in Medley, I'd recommend moving near Miami Shores. Great family area. The public schools are shit there (but they are in most of Miami. Seattle is exceptional when it comes to Public Schools being decent, I'm a Roosevelt grad myself) but there area few good private schools nearby and your commute will be small. You'll pay more than 2k a month to rent, but if you want anything cheaper in this area you're either in for a bad commute or a bad neighborhood. What's your SEA commute now? I can tell you what would be comparable to move to in Miami in terms of drive time.

That said Miami is 180 degrees from Seattle. I mean you could not have 2 cities in the same country be more different. It's flat. Recreational opportunities that don't involve the beach are very limited. Its sunny all the time. English is limited. Hell, just read this and you'll get what I mean...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

I will also say Miami is hands down the most racist city I've ever been to. Because Hispanics are the majority, and for some reason it's much more acceptable for them to be blatantly racist than white people, the racism here is almost tangible. If you're not Cuban, you're immediately stuffed into a lower tier, with a few exceptions for anglos. I'm not sure how much you'll feel it or not, but just a heads up.

You can get a nice home in Miami Shores for $2500/month, same for Biscayne Park. You can get a good high rise close to Aventura for $2000/month.

Not sure about the Drive to Medley, but I know people that moved from Seattle because they hated the awful weather :-)

Here you get better weather, for far worse traffic. I would recommend trying to keep your commute as short as possible, because a long rush hours commute can make you wish you never came here to begin with.

New User

[QUOTE=dylan;123677]Here you get better weather, for far worse traffic. I would recommend trying to keep your commute as short as possible, because a long rush hours commute can make you wish you never came here to begin with.[/QUO
    My commutes have always taken me somewhere near an hour, except for one position while I lived in Vancouver, WA. I decided against pursuing the position in Medley. But what about Ft Lauderdale? What is that area like? Less, more expensive? Nice, not so nice?

Thanks!

Actually, Dylan, I'd say traffic in Seattle is about on par with Miami. The distances aren't as far, but the streets are narrower, there's really ony one freeway. The density is pretty awful.

THAT SAID....Lauderdale is much nicer than Miami. It's cleaner. It's better run. People speak English. It's basically all the good things about Miami without any of the bad. I guess the downside is for big events and that you have to drive, but other than that, I think it's a much more livable place. As far as cost, for desirable areas it's comparable. There's some nasty areas up there, so just be careful where you end up. But as a whole I"d say Broward is much nicer than Miami.

New User

Funny that you are going from Seattle to Miami, we are going to be moving from Miami to Seattle this summer. We are from the Midwest originally.

Knowing where Medley is and where you are from, I would avoid this position. What you consider "good" in Seattle is not what we consider "good" in Miami or even the "nicer" Ft. Lauderdale suburbs. I was just in Seattle a few weeks ago and it was paradise. It is possible to find something that you are looking for here, but those areas are going to be the exception rather than the norm. Unless you would be getting a significant pay raise, it isn't worth it. I find it highly unlikely that this move would benefit your career or your family in any way. Especially if you don't speak Spanish. Although I know plenty of people who do speak Spanish and still hate it here.

That being said, if you are going to do it, follow the other advice here and live in the Broward suburbs and commute on I-75 to the turnpike. That is one of the easiest long distance commutes in South Florida. Don't do anything without coming down here first and seeing it for yourself. Miami worked out fine for us but it was very, very hard and took a long time.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Well I stand corrected, I guess it was just my friend's commute, she told me commuting in Seattle was better, except for when snow came into play. I think Ft. Lauderdale is great, I live right on the border of Dade and Broward county and yes Ft. Lauderdale is cheaper in my opinion, and there is a lot to do. I feel Miami is geared more towards the night life, and pleasing hipsters, while Ft. Lauderdale seems to offer more of the outdoorsy adventure scene.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

joejoezz hit the nail on the head...South Florida is not a place you move to improve your career or family. Or if those two things are really priorities for you. Move here is sunshine is a priority for you. And, like, pretty much the ONLY priority.

That's not true Matt, You can also prioritize speaking both poor Spanish, and Poor English, and Bottle service. lmao
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I moved here for sunshine and the beach. That's it. I actually moved here from the UK, cos I wanted to live in America.

I keep telling my boyfriend, I still want to move to America, I haven't lived there yet.

Miami is NOT America.
    PinkFlaming0 likes this.

Miami is more a transition from Central, South America, and the Carribean, that an actual piece of the USA. I feel like North and South Korea's demilitarization zone, we live in the dehispanicization zone.

But I still love it here, but once I am older and have slowed down I would like to move a little further north.

"Dehispaniciazation zone"

Can we have it labeled as such on maps from now on? The DHZ
    PinkFlaming0 likes this.