Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Cool Advice on moving to Miami for a family with a 13 yr old

Hello
    I am a US citizen and has been living on the French Riviera for the last 10 years. I am about to move back to the US with my wife and 13 years old daugther and want to settle in the Miami area specifically Miami Beach. I have to travel almost every week for work so I need to be in the Miami area to avoid long commute to the airport. We love MB, the shops, the restaurants, the beach, the colors etc... but have read some discouraging comments on some forums.
    Can anyone suggest some adequate neigborhoods for a family in Miami Beach?
    Which one should we avoid?
    We love walking or biking instead of driving to go out for lunch or dinner
    We intend to first live there and purchase after the first year, is 3000 to 3500 per month a suitable rental budget for a beautiful 2 or 3 bedrooms condo, in a good area? We could even go to 4000 if necessary....
    Our daugther will probably go either to Miami senior High for their international Baccalaureate program or at The International Studies Charter School, any advise?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Advice on moving to Miami

Out of interest, does it have to be Miami? Only because Fort Lauderdale airport is only 25 miles away from here, and it is a much better city for families.

Good neighborhoods for families are not in Miami Beach. Miami Beach is an adult playground. And if you mean Miami Beach High School, that is not a good school. Those kids are wild. I know, cos I know people that go there.

If it has to be Miami airport, then look at the suburbs. South Miami, Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are all walkable neighborhoods, and far less crazy than Miami Beach. Sorry to be a downer on your plans, but this is not a place for a 13 year old girl to grow up in.

Default Re: Advice on moving to Miami for a family with a 13 yr old

I would agree with Jess in every aspect of her answer, all I would add is that if you do a lot of international travels then staying in Miami would be the best option. Ft. Lauderdale while slightly more organized and easier to navigate does not have all the international options that Miami International Airport offers.

New User

Hello Jess and Dylan
    Thanks for your answers
    I will include Coral Gables and Coconut Groves in my search. Brickell seems to have some modern and well designed buildings as well, will that be a good option or not?

Brickell is all high rises and no open green space. It's full of 20-30 hispanics who work in the financial district. Again, not a place for a family in my opinion.

I personally thing Coral Gables or Coconut Grove would be your best bet, although those are two or the more expensive areas as well.

New User

Thanks for all your advise. We have finally decided to settle in Coral Gables

I think the Gables is the best option actually. Not as much to walk to, but better schools & neighbors.

Or Bay Harbor Islands near the beach. Great K-8 School there, walk to the beach, store, restaurants and your budget will get you a nice rental home or condo.

South Beach would have you in the $4,000 range for a 3 Bedroom condo and the schools are just 'ok'. I would advise against 'North Beach' (63rd to 80th).

Hope this helps!