Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Moving in Summer

New User

Default Moving in Summer

Hello Everyone,

I am inquiring help with where to live. I am going to be working in the Coral Gables area, so ideally I would like to find a place in that area. I have also been looking in Coconut Grove and Pinecrest online. I looked at Brickell, but I know that it is out of my price range.

I will be moving in June with my wife and looking for a nice 2 bedroom place in a relatively quiet and safe area. Looking to spend around $1400 a month. Is this possible? Also, when should I really start looking at places, keeping in mind I will not be able to go down to Miami and look until May.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Default Re: Moving in Summer

South Miami is actually a really nice place to live, so you should add that to your search.

Yeah, and a little cheaper.....you can find some 2 BRs in Coral Gables in that range, but they are few and far between. That is actually the case for more or less anywhere you'd want to live in the City. Maybe some stuff in Little Havana that's nice, and that commute to the Gables isn't bad. But it's not the BEST area and there's not much to do.

If you all are willing to go the 1 BR route, you'll have a lot more options. But if you want a decent place and you're dead set on 2 BR, Little Havana is going to be your best bet.

2 BR for $1400 in the gables/grove/brickell/downtown is about impossible. And if you see something in those areas, they aren't good parts of the area.

Get a decent 1 BR for $1400 and enjoy the city while you are here. Otherwise, South Miami is a better option (near Dadeland) in an older community but still with some amenities and near the MetroRail.

if you are moving in June, you need to be hitting the streets 1st week of May. The older community option in Dadeland (kings creek) takes about 2-3 weeks for approval and you have to pass a 'Rules & regulations' 100 question test and be interviewed by the board. But that's what cheap but nice gets you unfortunately.

Good luck!
    Matt Meltzer and Satieheart26 like this.

I actually think South Miami is really pretty. It has a great street, with starbucks, a yoga studio, a big Barnes and Nobles and Whole Foods, and a shopping mall with a movie theater. More to do there than in Coral Gables.

New User

Thank you everyone for the responses. Dadeland area looks promising for a 2 bedroom, otherwise I will probably have to go 1 bedroom.

Are you getting a 2 BR for when people stay to visit?

New User

I have a 2BR in Coral Gables for $1,150/month. It's not that hard, there are plenty others near Segovia St, especially in the $1,200-$1,400 range (I have a very cheap apartment, one of the bedrooms doesn't have air conditioning and the appliances are ancient). For $1,300 you can get something decent. Often they are not listed online, you need to physically come here and drive around for signs in May and check Craigslist. I found several by just patrolling the streets that weren't advertised anywhere. Unless you live here you wouldn't know they exist. Look just to the north of the Coral Gables youth center between Le Jeune and Segovia. Mine is on the west side of Segovia near Valencia, there are also some on Caledonia Ave. They are older buildings but the area is shaded with nice sidewalks and very quiet, it's a great area to live. Free street parking. Walking distance to Publix and restaurants. Easy drive to shopping in South Miami. Not for those seeking the "Miami" lifestyle, but we are in our 20s and happy to be away from all that craziness.

I agree with Jess South Miami is no Brickell, or Miami Beach, but is nice, you are within easy access to a lot of places and though you would probably have to drive more in South Miami, I think the drives offer a little bit of scenery.

If I ever live off the beach (and the craziness!) I would live in South Miami.

New User

Thanks Everyone. We Are Getting A Two Bedroom If Possible For office / Spare Bedroom. I think I Will Have To Go Driving Around And Have A Realtor Help When I Go down In May. South Miami Might Be The Way To Go If I Can't Find Anything In The gables. Sorry For The Caps, My Auto Correct Is Acting Strange.

Whats with all the caps?

New User

You have to read the whole post Matt. I was on my phone and for some reason the phone was autocorrecting almost every word to begin with a capital letter.