we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By moltobene
  • 1 Post By Jess

Thread: Moving from Canada to attend Miami Ad School

New User

Unhappy Moving from Canada to attend Miami Ad School

Hey everyone!

I am planning to study at Miami Ad School this coming fall (October 2013) and I need help with some questions.
    Just wondering what are some good and reliable websites to look for room/apartment rentals? I am a young female with limited budget for what I can pay in terms of rental, so my maximum is about $600/month.

As far as needs go, I am pretty simple. Just need a clean and comfy room, bathroom and utilities like Water and electricity. I don't mind homestays or sharing a room with others (although I prefer not to).

Does anyone know if good places that aren't past the $1000 mark near Miami Ad School?
    Also, are transportations around that area reliable?

Thanks in advance!

Preferred Member

Default Re: Moving to Miami from Canada for 2 years (School) Need help please D:

Stay away from Craig's list. Also might want to get a roommate,cause for $600 you might need one..

Best to check with the miami beach411 locals for for better tips.. Good luck..
    vlingstar likes this.

Default Re: Moving to Miami from Canada for 2 years (School) Need help please D:

Is this the ad school on 9th and Alton in South Beach?

New User

Hi Jess,

Yes, that's the school!
    Preferrably, I don't mind staying a little further away because I do know that residence around the school will be more costly, so I don't mind travelling by bus to get to school. Not sure how transportation is over there though. Do they have a fixed schedule or do you happen to know how often do the buses come by?

New User

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I was ready to resort to craigs'list if all fails, but hopefully I won't have to

Ohhhh, you do NOT want to be messing around with taking the bus to the Beach. Public transportation here is a joke, unless you're one of the lucky few who can take the Metrorail somewhere useful. People who live or work on the beach are not among those lucky few. The busses are good for getting around South Beach, and maybe to downtown. Past that, it's Hell.

The thing is, in any area where you could afford $600 a month, even WITH a roommate, you're going to be far. Like too far to be taking public transportation that will take you less than an hour each way.

The only exception might be Little Havana, but if you end up having late classes or something that's def NOT an area I'd recommend a single female walk around at night.

If you can bump your rent expense to, say, $800 a month you can find something in the Beach (if you don't have a car, really, that's your only option) with a roommate. That is probably your best bet. Have you asked around the school to see if they offer any placement services or roommate matching?

The ad school is by bus route S, which travels from Aventura down to Onmi station. So you could live in North Beach, Mid Beach, Sunny Isles, Surfside and still commute by one bus in under an hour.
    vlingstar likes this.

Default Re: Moving from Canada to attend Miami Ad School

sites like Roommates.com can sometimes have people in similar situations. The school should have people like yourself looking for a place. I helped people out there before find a place and it was 2 strangers living together basically. Same as college.

Ask the school if there is anything posted on the school bullentin board about looking for a roommate.

$600 wont' get you anything and you might get an efficiency on 40th & colllins for around $800-$900/month including furniture & utilities. If you want an acutal apartment, there are people looking for roommates on Craigslist who share large studios for your budget...BUT BE VERY CAREFUL! And if its too good to be true.....

IT IS!

New User

Thanks for the detailed reply! I went on a cruise trip in January this year and we deported from Miami. I saw the Metrorail and was quite surprised to see it running within such a small area. Now that you mentioned it, I googled and realize they don't travel to South Beach at all

I actually contacted the school and the Head of Admissions told me that they are planning to relocate, so I will know of a physical location in about a month's time to make living arrangements.

New User

Default Re: Moving from Canada to attend Miami Ad School

Thanks! I actually did check out craigslist at the beginning haha (Desperate). But yea, I agree that it's probably too good to be true. I will be checking out for room-mates/housemates when I get accepted into the school

New User

Thanks for your help with that! It's really helpful to know which area I should be looking around

New User

hi! Im also going to start on october 7th in Miami Ad and Im looking for a roomate! My budget its also a lil bit limited so maybe we can find something together? My name is melisa if you like we can talk via skype. mine:melisa1314