Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GandJ

Thread: Pet Question: Moving to SoBe

New User

Default Pet Question: Moving to SoBe

My FI has the opportunity to relocate to SoBe for work we live on the West Coast now. We're both in F&B and we love the area! We actually looked at condos there a year ago so we know what we're getting into as far high rents in the SoBE area as well as having been in some of the individual properties. We have a budget of $2000-$2500 (maybe $3,000) and would prefer to be SoFi. While we're definitely finding some condos available there's not as many as we would hope and here's where I start having issues.

We have two cats and I'm finding most of the properties in our price range with our must haves (W/D in unit and more than 650 square feet) say no pets. How strict are properties in SoBe (especially those South of Fifth) usually when it comes to pet issues? We lived in a luxury high rise condo for 2 years and now in a upscale condo community and neither time did we disclosed that we had pets but both properties allowed pets so we always figured we'd just pay the deposit if they found out we had pets (no judgement, I know that's not the most above board notion but we've never had problems since they're not destructive or make messes). We're not going to give up our pets and I would prefer to rent somewhere they are allowed but I'm not finding options. When we looked at properties last year, our rental agent said to just not say anything about them but he was very inexperienced and I'd prefer some more opinions. When it comes to cats is it mostly a "don't ask, don't tell" policy or are there more horror stories? I don't want to be evicted and living in my car with the two furry friends.

I've been looking at the forums for awhile and I know SobeSpace is a realtor, so I would love his opinion. As well as any others if there are properties we might have missed. We prefer SoFi since we thinking about only having one car and we really like the Cosmopolitan and Yacht Club at Portofino properties.

Default Re: Pet Question: Moving to SoBe

With that amount to play with, I'd go NoBe and triple my living place.

New User

The catch-22 is the only way we have that kind of budget is by living where we're living. He's working SoFi so we can only have one car if we live in the area but if we moved to NoBe and kept two cars we're back looking in the $1500 to $1800 range. I'll admit I'm not as familiar with NoBe or even mid-beach; is that called MiBe or am I just making things up? (LOL) I don't know those areas as far as what's safe or what's even available in that range. Also, from the one time I did drive from NoBe down to SoBe I remember the traffic being a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by sincitygirl View Post
    My FI has the opportunity to relocate to SoBe for work we live on the West Coast now. We're both in F&B and we love the area! We actually looked at condos there a year ago so we know what we're getting into as far high rents in the SoBE area as well as having been in some of the individual properties. We have a budget of $2000-$2500 (maybe $3,000) and would prefer to be SoFi. While we're definitely finding some condos available there's not as many as we would hope and here's where I start having issues.

We have two cats and I'm finding most of the properties in our price range with our must haves (W/D in unit and more than 650 square feet) say no pets. How strict are properties in SoBe (especially those South of Fifth) usually when it comes to pet issues? We lived in a luxury high rise condo for 2 years and now in a upscale condo community and neither time did we disclosed that we had pets but both properties allowed pets so we always figured we'd just pay the deposit if they found out we had pets (no judgement, I know that's not the most above board notion but we've never had problems since they're not destructive or make messes). We're not going to give up our pets and I would prefer to rent somewhere they are allowed but I'm not finding options. When we looked at properties last year, our rental agent said to just not say anything about them but he was very inexperienced and I'd prefer some more opinions. When it comes to cats is it mostly a "don't ask, don't tell" policy or are there more horror stories? I don't want to be evicted and living in my car with the two furry friends.

I've been looking at the forums for awhile and I know SobeSpace is a realtor, so I would love his opinion. As well as any others if there are properties we might have missed. We prefer SoFi since we thinking about only having one car and we really like the Cosmopolitan and Yacht Club at Portofino properties.

A significant percentage of people are very allergic to cats. Some are so so allergic that it can send them to the hospital with respiratory issues if they were to move into an apartment that was previously occupied by a cat. A cat living there will embed quite a bit of cat dander into the carpet over time. It can't all be cleaned out. The only way it can be resolves is to remove and replace the carpet. An owner of a condo that you rent might have severe allergy issues, and might be renting out that condo for a while, and later plans to return to live it.
    Some commercial apartments have separate pet and non-pet units so that people who ae very allergic don't end up in a unit that had pets with the previous tenant. If you don't disclose the cats, and the next person living there ends up ill ... or worse, .. you could have a serious lawsuit on your hands.

If the Realtor Association or State Licensing Board found out what he told you. that rental agent who told you not to disclose that you have cats could face serious discipliary action ranging from a warning up to license suspension.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 03-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    rk and Matt Meltzer like this.

The only way you're sneaking a pet in is by living in a building that is not very regulated. So... you may get your pets in for free, but you take with that noisy neighbors, an un kept building, and whatever else comes with a building whose condo board doesn't give a s**t. So it's up to you.

Plus, if you do that, you take the risk of another neighbor telling on you.

If you do take this route, look for the older art deco buildings in SoFi. You are not going to get a washer dryer. You probably won't get over 650 feet. But you will have your cats.

I lived in SoFi for 3 yrs,and in 2 different apartments. If you want a nicer building, and by the sounds of it you seem to, you're going to have to be honest about the cats.

rk

Lying about pets is what I would call a really bad idea, for reasons GandJ mentioned, plus others. You should be able to find someplace that allows pets in your price range, prob a 1-br. Don't give up too soon, keep looking. Walk around and look for rental signs as well.

Looking for rental signs is a bad idea and for the most part, you aren't going to find a nice 1 or 2 bedroom in the $2500 on a rental sign.

Those signs are mainly cheap apartments where the owner doesn't want to pay a Realtor. usually for $1000 studios and some $1500 1 bedrooms.

If you tell a Realtor, like myself, you have a pet then legally I can't keep it from the other agent or landlord. Most of the time if it says NO PETs it means No Dogs. Cats are usually easily to negotiate in.

No pet buildings usually mean no dogs as well. Often the building allows pets and the owner just asks that his/her tenant doesn't have a pet. Buildings like The Decoplage are No Pet buildings...and buildings like Flamingo/Roney/Mirador are Pro-pet buildings. Most high rises allow pets (about 90%) of them and most art-deco buildings allow all kinds of animals.

I tell my clients all the time that if they lie to me about pets and they get caught, they can be evicted and you'll never rent again with an eviction and its not me that will be out anything. Better to be upfront with someone.

When viewing properties that say 'No Pets', avoid those with carpet (automatic NO usually) and contact those that have tile floors.

Your best bet is to get a REAL Miami Beach Realtor to do all this for you. I'm not sure why people today still try do all this on their own in the worst possible city for Real Estate. It doesn't cost anything and you can dump them at any time if you aren't getting good service or find something on your own (of course that's bad Karma, but people don't seem to mind every day). Realtors know the buildings, know whats on the market, what someone will say yes to, how to properly negotiate, etc. so don't waste another minute on fake sites like Zillow/Hot Pads/Trulia/Craigslist, sit back, and wait for someone else to do all the work so you can have an easy move in process.
    If you ask for the available properties and they are either way over budget or you don't receive anything within 24 hours, move on to the next Realtor. Someone out there will fight for your business and deliver as promised!

Good luck!

Great advice SobeSpace! I think I am gonna need your services soon also!

You can still live in SoBe and not be in SoFi, you might be able to move about 7 blocks north and 2 blocks west and get you pets and SoBe too. I would recommend against sneaking pets in, I have done it before, but then your neighbors have something to hold over your head if they find out.