Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: NYC To Miami?

New User

Default NYC To Miami?

My wife and i live in New York City and we were thinking about Moving to either MiaMI OR Lawrenceville ,Ga?

Any Suggestions ?
    Also I currently work at UPS and my wife and i do freelance Music Production/Songwriting,photography & she's a makeup artist .

We've been to South Beach and Loooooved it , but we only stayed for 3 days.

Default Re: NYC TO MIAMI ?

Quote Originally Posted by KAE510 View Post
    We've been to South Beach and Loooooved it

Miami versus Lawrenceville, GA. I think you answered your own question!

Glenn

New User

LoL . My only worries are employment and living in a nice, decent, affordable area .

Well, I have a little article you should read....

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

Past that, if you're concerned about being able to afford to live and living in a decent area, Miami may not be the place for you. It's not as expensive as NYC, but rents outpace salaries here by a LOT.

My recommendation to you would be try and see where UPS can put you and go with that. Living here is absolutely, 100% nothing like visiting.
    Jess, dylan and PinkFlaming0 like this.

New User

Wow . Thanks guys . Kinda heartbroken cause Miami seems like a really nice place to live and i'm also tired of the cold weather up here & dirty streets & beaches. Also, UPS does not transfer . That article and the comments were wild .
    Last edited by KAE510; 03-19-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

Living here is absolutely, 100% nothing like visiting.
    I love that article. Having lived here for 5 years now, I agree completely. Miami is not for the faint hearted. Also, please do not make the mistake thinking that it's New York with palm trees. I laugh my ass off everytime someone says that. It's usually in a whiny sentence, "I thought Miami was gonna be just like New York, but with palm trees!"... No. No it's not.
    PinkFlaming0 likes this.

Default Re: NYC To Miami?

Anytime someone uses the phrase "Sixth Borough" I want to punch them in the face
    PinkFlaming0 likes this.

I know plenty of people who have come from New York and loved Miami, but I know just as many who have turned around and gone right back to New York. I mean our opinions may be skewed since we live here, and take some things for granted, but I do believe Miami is slightly overrated by tourists, and under-appreciated by residents. You could always come and try to spend a year here and if it does not work out for you look northward.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    I do believe Miami is slightly overrated by tourists, and under-appreciated by residents.
    Haha sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I love that article. Having lived here for 5 years now, I agree completely. Miami is not for the faint hearted. Also, please do not make the mistake thinking that it's New York with palm trees. I laugh my ass off everytime someone says that. It's usually in a whiny sentence, "I thought Miami was gonna be just like New York, but with palm trees!"... No. No it's not.
    That article was CLASSIC !
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    I know plenty of people who have come from New York and loved Miami, but I know just as many who have turned around and gone right back to New York. I mean our opinions may be skewed since we live here, and take some things for granted, but I do believe Miami is slightly overrated by tourists, and under-appreciated by residents. You could always come and try to spend a year here and if it does not work out for you look northward.
    Sounds good. Thank you.

Miami is nothing like NYC. Whoever came up with calling it "sixth burough," something is seriously wrong with them. I moved back to NYC almost three years ago. Except for the warm winters there really is nothing I miss about it. You can't walk to the store to get a soda, buy groceries, eat at a restaurant, and go to your local dry cleaners. Believe it or not I lived there for fifteen years. There's no turning back for me, nor is there any desire to visit in the near future. I'm here to stay.

As a tourist, Miami is not what it's cracked up to be when you live there. It's very transient and people don't stay for a prolonged period of time. The average is one to three years and that's about it.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

Past that, if you're concerned about being able to afford to live and living in a decent area, Miami may not be the place for you. It's not as expensive as NYC, but rents outpace salaries here by a LOT.

My recommendation to you would be try and see where UPS can put you and go with that. Living here is absolutely, 100% nothing like visiting.

Oh my.. hahaha!

Best laugh I've had in a long, long time.

The comments were absolutely hilarious!!

It depends where you live in Miami. Miami Beach is very walkable. You can walk everywhere, no need for a car at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiRentsAlot View Post
    Miami is nothing like NYC. Whoever came up with calling it "sixth burough," something is seriously wrong with them. I moved back to NYC almost three years ago. Except for the warm winters there really is nothing I miss about it. You can't walk to the store to get a soda, buy groceries, eat at a restaurant, and go to your local dry cleaners. Believe it or not I lived there for fifteen years. There's no turning back for me, nor is there any desire to visit in the near future. I'm here to stay.

As a tourist, Miami is not what it's cracked up to be when you live there. It's very transient and people don't stay for a prolonged period of time. The average is one to three years and that's about it.
    I guess you didn't live in Miami Beach or Brickell...

We live in Miami Beach and we actually walk to my office to get a check, then walk to the bank on Lincoln road to deposit, then to a restaurant for happy hour on Lincoln, catch a movie on Lincoln, walk by CVS on the way home for some ice cream, through the awesome park, and back home...

Hop on Swoop for a free ride or take your 90mpg scooter and go to publix if you don't live right by one of the 3 in South Beach for groceries..while you are there you can go upstairs for office supplies or pick up some clothes at one of the 2 stores, then scooter/swoop/taxi home (always lots of taxis by the Publix's)

Oh yeh, and walk to the Ocean whenever you feel like it while people load up their cars with tons of stuff, drive 30 minutes, sit in traffic, pay $20 to park, and walk all that stuff to the beach..

The thing is, Sobespace, South Florida is completely regionalized. So, yeah, if you WANT to stay in your little bubble and only be on the Beach or in Brickell or wherever, you can do that. BUT if you really want to take advantage of the area and see it, it's not a walkable place at all. There's great things to do in Coral Gables and Ft. Lauderdale that are completely inaccessible without a car. Similarly, if you live in Brickell, you can't get to the beach without a car (or a seriosuly unpleasant mover/bus ride). And things like government offices and, dare I say, FRIENDS often live in other parts of South Florida.

This city is by no means a "walkable" place. We just have pockets that are.
    Satieheart26 likes this.

Yes Miami must rank number one on US cities with worst public transportation service/commutes that I have ever visited. And don't forget that making full use of Miami's public transportation often leads you through the more unsavory parts of the city.

You may be able to walk to places in Sobe and Brickell, but come summer time walking in that brutal heat is murder.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Yup. In August, you will find me draped over my AC, eating an Edy's fruit bar.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KAE510 View Post
    Wow . Thanks guys . Kinda heartbroken cause Miami seems like a really nice place to live and i'm also tired of the cold weather up here & dirty streets & beaches. Also, UPS does not transfer . That article and the comments were wild .
    There are other parts of Florida that are still warm in the winter, have economies, and are great places to live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast