Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Nice Apartments in South Miami

Greetings,

I'm going to be moving to Miami this summer and I'm trying to find a nice apartment complex in the South Miami area. So far, my search has only turned up apartments with poor ratings and many complaints. The Red Road Commons seem to be the exception, but they are out of my price range. I'm going to be a grad student at FIU living alone, so I'm looking for a relatively quiet 1br or studio for under 1200/mo. The Valencia apartments are not an option, they have no free units until September. I'm from the northeast originally, so I'm not too familiar with Miami, other than a few short visits and the research I've done online. Does anyone know of any apartments in this area that may be a good fit for me?

Thanks in advance!

New User

Default Re: Nice Apartments in South Miami

I'm also a grad student at FIU. I assume you are going to have a car. The apartment complexes are bad news down here, especially for someone on a graduate student budget. They have very high up front fees and you need to have $3000 cash if you want to move after 1 year when they inevitably jack up your rent. South Miami is nice but isn't a very popular place for FIU grad students. Most FIU grad students tend to live in Kendall or Doral. The area around the campus is bad. Someone in my office lives alone in a 1BR in Kings Colony in Kendall (142nd ave) and she is happy there. The downside to Kendall and Doral is that they are very suburban with lots of traffic. Doral is nicer than Kendall overall. I do like South Miami though but you'll probably have to come in person to find a decent place there.

As I mentioned in another thread, there are also older apartments available in Coral Gables around the Segovia St. area, you can probably get a nice 1BR there for $1100 or so. However, the listings won't appear online so you would have to come down here and look yourself or have someone look for you, usually about 3 weeks before you plan to move in. That area is quiet and the commute to FIU is about 20-25 minutes on Coral Way. I have recommended the Coral Gables area to countless people but because it takes a little extra effort to find an apartment and sign a lease with an independent landlord (vs. an apartment complex) they never seem to follow through. Later they complain to me how they hate living in Kendall and how they wish they could afford Coral Gables--and then I tell them I am paying less rent than they are to live next door to multi-million dollar condos!

JohnGalt - Why do you want to live in South Miami if you're going to FIU? That might make sense for UM, but that's not a short drive up to the Main campus. And if you go at the wrong times it can be pretty brutal. You might want to look in like West Miami (north on Red Road near 8th St or so) or in the Coral Way Corridor there on Coral Way between 12th and 32nd Aves. North of Coral Way in that range isn't bad either, and offers easy access to the 836 Expressway, which gets you to FIU "relatively" fast.

If you're dead set on South Miami for some reason, Mayan Towers isn't bad. Or at least it wasn't 4 years ago the last time I was there. Not the nicest, but not the worst. And it's fairly affordable.

New User

Joe - Yes, I'll have a car. Thanks for the advice on Coral Gables, I'll look into that a bit more.

Matt - According to google maps, South Miami is about 20 mins away from FIU's campus. South Miami's proximity to the Palmetto Expressway allows for a relatively easy trip out to Sweetwater. I don't want to live in complete suburbia, I like having at least a few restaurants / bars within walking distance. South Miami seems to fit that bill, with the shops at sunset place and whatnot. I really like the Downtown/Brickell area, and South Miami has a metrorail stop that would allow me to get back and forth without too much trouble. Since the area surrounding FIU isn't very nice, I'm going to be facing a commute no matter where in Miami I live, so I'd like to be somewhere central. Thank you for your suggestions, I'll be doing some research on those areas.

Also - while I certainly want to maintain a reasonable budget, I have a little bit of freedom in this regard because I'm attending on the G.I. bill and I get a monthly housing stipend. I want to keep it low, but not broken AC / rabid dogs type of low.
    Last edited by JohnGalt; 03-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.

New User

I do like South Miami and it does make sense for the reasons that you suggested. Especially if you want to stay away from suburbia. I like walking around foot around the Sunset mall area: the Barnes & Noble, Whole Foods, and AMC theatre are all nice to have there. It's easy to run or bike down to Old Cutler road from there. The population is younger and a better fit for you than in downtown Coral Gables. But the general Coral Gables - South Miami area is probably the nicest within a 30 minute commute of FIU. It sounds like you have done good research so you should be able to find something that works.

The one thing about Sunset Mall is that Dadeland has definitely taken away some of its business and a few stores have recently closed. I sort of like it that way because it's never very busy, but it could be a problem a few years down the road if the trend continues. For some reason they insist on charging $6 for parking (although as the sign says, it's free with a $500 shopiing bill--only in Miami).

Spend 500 to save 6. Awesome.

Your reasoning makes sense, I'd just advise you to A) Try and find a place walking distance to the Metrorail and B) try to avoid drigin TO school before 9 am and coming home from school between 5-7.