Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: MBA needs to move back to Miami

New User

Default MBA needs to move back to Miami

I am from Ohio looking to move back to Miami, but I am not having any luck. No job yet, not sure what to do about a place or hotel. Just looking for some good edvice on what or how to do this. I have a BA in Finance and an MBA with a concentration in Accounting. I have been on a lot of job sites and nothing yet.

Thank you for the help.

Default Re: MBA needs to move back to Miami

You say you want to move 'back' to Miami. Have you lived here before? School? Do you know people here already who may have contacts?

I know Ohio sucks. I mean it SUCKS. But Miami is no picnic...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

NONE of this is in the least bit inaccurate.

That said, Miami is like 150% about WHO you know. So if you have any contacts here from (presumably) when you used to live here, abuse them as best you can. Companies don't tend to hire from out of state as we still have relatively high unemployment, and jobs are hard to find.

Have you looked into expanding your search to Broward and Palm Beach Counties? There are jobs there too, and the necessity of being bilingual isn't quite as frequent.

You should be able to find a decent Accounting job here...Miami isn't exactly a city of 'Math Whizzes' (Realtors can't calculate their own 5% commission on a rental sometimes)

You checked Monster & Careerbuilder?

What about working in the accounting Dept of a hotel? I know non-degree type jobs can pay $18-$22/hour at the Ritz Carlton & St. Regis so a MBA should be able to land an Account Manager job of $60-70k at a nice hotel. You get the hotel perks but work mon-fri 9 to 5 with holidays off but can stay in hotels for $39-$59/night for you & your immediate family without you..

Try: Marriott.com, Starwood.com, Hilton.com, etc., even HCareers.com - I'm sure the Conrad Hilton downtown, JW Marquis, Ritz, etc. have some openings in these areas...And you'll work with normal people like yourself (educated, speak proper English, etc.) rather than the shady's of the service industry :-)

New User

Hi Jess,

When I was young my family and I lived there for about 5 years. We then moved back to Ohio so that my Mother could be close to her family. I wished I would have gone to school down there, lol. Some of the contacts are from my Dad's side of the family, but we are not close, and I have not talk to in years. So pretty much not a real contact for me.

Stephen

New User

Matt,

I know what you mean, Ohio does suck. I would have been gone along time ago if it wasn't for my gf at the time. Now that's over with, time to relocate down south. I have thought about other places, but close to Miami would be okay as well.

New User

Hi,

I have thought about that, but forgot so I am glad you reminded me about this idea. Thank you for your help and ideas on where to apply.

Stephen

Sobespace has a great idea (realtors SERIOUSLY can't calculate 5%? Speaks volumes for the people in that line of work, eh?) and again, if you broaden your search to areas around Miami you'll up your chances considerable. So take all the advice together, maybe you can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Sobespace has a great idea (realtors SERIOUSLY can't calculate 5%? Speaks volumes for the people in that line of work, eh?) and again, if you broaden your search to areas around Miami you'll up your chances considerable. So take all the advice together, maybe you can make it work.
    Matt has become such a friendly, cordial individual on here lately, We're gonna have to stir the pot with him soon...

Talk about why Miami is so amazing and how everyone should move here :-)
    Matt Meltzer and ssaenz13 like this.