Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Wanting to move to Sobe from NYC... HELP?

New User

Default Wanting to move to Sobe from NYC... HELP?

How's it going guys?

My name is Danielle and I am a 24 yr old female. I'm from Brooklyn, NY.... and just graduated the top cosmetology school in Manhattan last year. Since then, I've worked only half a year at a pretty known place with a famous Stylist. I was looking to get into the high-end sector of the hair industry as it's pretty easy and attainable if you already live in NY and come from the best schools that are linked in this industry. Anyway, I'm just sick of this weather, sick of the subways and traveling an hour each way to the city, and just living in NY in general.

I've been considering Miami for a long time now. I've visited SoBe twice, during the WMC times. I've been in the NY underground club scene for a good 10 years now, networking with the biggest DJs and promoters. So I do have all my connects in NY, and I notice the nightlife scene and afterhours is similar in Miami and that's another reason I want to live in SoBe. I don't want to leave the underground scene.

Now as far as moving there, how should I plan and look out for?
    I don't really have money now, but I have a car that I'd be willing to sell to make my move, as I doubt I'd even need a vehicle in South Beach...
    I also noticed the rent here is relatively low when looking for roommates. $500 for a room is fine with me. But coming there, I wouldn't have a job off the bat, let alone in my own field. I don't know how salons work out there, and if they are high end and offer education, work with celebs, and are recognized at all like in NY. But that's the kind of salons I am looking to work in. So coming to SoBe right away, I probably wouldn't find the right salon right away to work with, what kind of job can I get easy to keep myself on my feet? And I'm not like these 120 lb. model life-sized plastic barbie bimbos coming to Miami so I don't know how easy it would be for me to get a job here. I'm a little on the chunky side, and I have a more rocker look to me than superficial, european prada-eating bimbo. If you get what I mean. Is everything here superficial and judged by looks? I mean I obviously worked out fine in the nightlife industry and Salons in NY... but I just don't know where to start and how much I should even have with me before making the move and where to start looking because I won't work in a salon there right away. I'd need to transfer my license from NY to FL anyway so that's out of question. Anybody can help? I would really appreciate the tips!
    Thank you!!

Default Re: Wanting to move to Sobe from NYC... HELP?

Hi Danielle

You seem to have your move all planned out. I don't know of the salons you'd like to work in, I'd assume they'd be in the hotels as that's where the high end salons are, other than say Vidal Sassoon and Sean Donaldson in Miami Beach. But I don't even know how celeb those places really are, they're just expensive.

I don't think it matters if you're not 120lb model if you aren't going to be modeling. Not everyone here is thin and gorgeous.

And about that underground club scene... I mean, unless you're doing Space on a Saturday night and that area, there isn't really an underground scene. It's South Beach clubs and that's it. And SoBe clubs are glamorous, not underground.

When you move, you're going to have to have at least 6k saved, if not more. If you're going the roommate route, it won't be as expensive, but the cost of living here is $$$, don't underestimate it!

Yeah $500 for a room isn't really realistic in South Beach. More like $800, if you have a roommate. You may see stuff advertised, but remember not the entire city is SOuth Beach. Not even all of Miami Beach is South Beach. And if you want to try and live here without a car (NOT recommended) then you're going to have to live near where you work. Public transportation isn't really an option.

Jess' 6k figure is a bit on the low side, but is enough. I say 8k, especially since you're moving with no job and trying to get a job in a highly, highly competitive field.

Miami salons, bars, restaurants, clubs, spas, banks, fruit stands, janitorial services companies and pretty much every other business you can name here care exactly zero where anyone worked in New York. If you had worked at a known place in Miami, great. Saying you come from New York here may actually work against you, as we are saturated with New Yorkers (and other northerners) trying to move here, and tend to try and hire locally when we can. Point is, def play up your experience and the actual work you've done. Don't stress that it was in New York as that's nails on the chalkboard to most of us.

I'd recommend finding work in some sort of salon and working your way up to the bigger ones. You can find jobs here doing that, but much like bartending or any other service industry a lot is in who you know. Start small and network, and in a year or two you can put yourself in a good spot. That said, if you know anyone here, abuse that contact as best you can.

New User

Well thanks for the advice guys...

I mean from my searches on craigslist though I've found a lot of rooms around Alton Rd out for like $5-650, some even under 500... My friend moved to Miami for a year and she lives in these little art deco houses and she had a studio for like 900..

But saving up 8gs, that actually sounds reasonable and makes sense. I probably should do that. Now I know my industry is competitive, but the reason I want to bring up NYC in MY field is because it is respected anywhere in the country in the salon business. When you worked at major top salons in the world, that are in NY, and say you apprenticed with celebrities, people know you got the top of the line education and experience in this field. I wouldn't expect anything less coming to Miami. I can't just go to some random lower salon in Miami because I already came from a renowned Salon with really good training under my belt, why would I start at the bottom again there? If anything my skills are more valuable than what they usually get...
    So me coming there with 8g saved up, should I even go into salons or start with bartending or waitressing since that's where the most money is at first? Like until I settle in?

And what do you mean I need a car in South Beach? I'd obviously look to work in salons in south beach, I've seen quite a few known ones and respected ones on Lincoln, and areas near by... like the Red Market Salon... look it up. I'd just walk into a place like that with my resume and portfolio, that's the kind of place I'd be interested in. Do I really need a car if I'll be living in South Beach and looking for work there??

Before you move, do what Matt said..Try applying first to see if they are interested. Walk in to those salons and see if your theory is right before committing to a move.

Miami Beach is full of people who worked in famous places and get stuck working some place they wish they hadn't. The average owner is saturated with qualified people looking for work.

Sounds like you have a sweet gig where you are in NYC which is also a great place to live. As much as Miami is awesome and the next "NYC", its still not NYC so 9 times out of 10, you will end up at that 'random lower salon' you mentioned. If you worked with celebrities, I would have them reach out to some famous salons on your behalf to verify this. But just saying you worked with this person and no way to verify, you'll sound like every other typical Miami 'I've done this or I know this person' yada yada yada. Everyone here is famous or wants to be famous and you'll get lost in the shuffle saying you are from NYC with all these great talents and experience.

I was showing a property in N Bay Village and there was a guy trying to get up the elevator without a Key Fob and he was saying he was Flo Rida's barber and even had pictures..Lol, the $10/hr guard didn't give a crap who he was...I showed a semi-famous rapper some apartments around the city and all the money didn't matter to the association that denied him because of his credit or to the owner who just wanted a good tenant. Miami is over saturated with celebrities and wanna be celebrities so like Matt said, I wouldn't advertise it too much unless you have some hard proof or they are willing to speak on your behalf.

If I were you, I'd seriously re-think that career move & giving up a good thing in a big city to take a chance (and your savings) on a city that could end up giving 2 sh*ts about you and send you back broke & scorned.

And a $500 Room share in South Beach is going to be 2-3 girls living in an open space studio with no separate bedrooms.. so if you like dorm life, it could work. If 1 Bedrooms start at $1200 now, you figure your room share is atleast $700 to help cover a utility. Anything less than that is going to be: Scam, Shady, Drug/Sex/Weird setup/Very Tiny/No privacy, Or outside of South Beach. (Miami Beach goes all the way up to 88th street, but South Beach goes to 23rd and the places on Harding/Carlyle/Byron ave are NOT south Beach and not walking distance to it.)
    Now that season is over, you can find an efficiency (think hotel) around 30-40th for around $800/month including utilities in an older building with your usual pot smoking neighbors and no amenities. Aldon Hotel, Continental, 3710 Collins are 3 that come to mind that usually have openings in May/June/July. I can email you them as they come available if it interests you and could be a good short term option while you find work.

Good luck with all this!
    Jess, GandJ and Matt Meltzer like this.

Great advice SoBe!

Danielle, have you thought about coming down for a week and trying to get a job? That's a really good idea. It's what I did, luckily I got one and was back six weeks later to start work with two suitcases in hand...

Oh, and it's true about the celeb thing. There are sooo many celebs here that everyone knows someone, that knows so and so. Heck, even I actually know some celebs as such after living here for a few years. Doesn't really help you in Miami.

Ps, the red market salon you speak of... That is NOT nearby lol. It's in Bal Harbor, an entirely different city to Miami Beach! That's a half hour drive from South Beach without traffic. With traffic, I dread to think.

New User

Wow great insight guys... I might just consider coming for a week then and applying at all these salons while on a vacation, and if I get hired I'll come the next week lol. That sounds perfect. But I'd still need 8gs saved up???

New User

So my Mother lived in Hallandale and suggested I looked there because it's not as touristy, and she lived in a gorgeous huge 1 bedroom apartment for $800... and that it's only a 20 min drive to Miami Beach anyway.... anybody have any suggestions on this?

When was this? early 2000s? 2009/10? Rental market isn' what it use to be and $800 for a huge apartment seems low if its in a good area near the beach. If its West Hallandale, its definitely possible.

And Hallandale Beach (east of 95) or just Hallandale? (West of 95)

New User

right by the beach

If you can live on the beach in Hallandale Beach in a huge 1 BR for $800 / month, I'd move into that place that your mother lived in, if I were you. Any reason not to? -- Glenn

I'd break my lease in Sobe and move tomorrow...

New User

Yeah it was only like 2 years ago honestly....

Hallandale isn't even a 20 minute drive from South Beach at 3 a.m. on a weeknight. I'd say 30 minutes with no traffic, more like 45 typically, depending how you go, During rush hour, you're looking at an hour plus.

Now, if you can get that deal, get yourself a car and do it. But I'm not overly familiar with the Hallandale rental market so go with what Sobespace says on that one.

And yes, 8k is about what you need to have saved up, and that's assuming you can find work quickly. Mega-dittos on what Sobespace said, this really is a place where nobody gives 2 shits who you are or what you did somewhere else.

Though I would NOT say we're the "next" NYC. You have to have some sort of viable, consistent industry to get to be even the next San Francisco. Tourism, construction and real estate are definitely NOT those industries. But that's another conversation for another thread. I will say once I can't see the sky here anymore, I'm out. As I always say, if I wanted to live in New York, I would.
    PinkFlaming0 likes this.

Isn't Hallandale in Broward County?

Yes, Hallandale / Aventura are what separates the 2 counties at I-95 & the beach.

2 years is a long time ago and rents have gone up 25-35% in those 2 years plus there is a huge lack of inventory in affordable housing east of I-95.