Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Thinking about moving from Philly to Miami...

Hi everyone, great to see this forum. I am thinking about a move to Miami/Coral Gables from Philadelphia and I'm just wondering on the pros and cons for a single, 35 yo, professional woman. I would be relocating for work and I have a friend who lives about 30 miles from Miami, but I don't know anyone in the city itself. So, I guess my first concern would be how easy it is to meet new people. Also, I would love any tips on a safe and nice place to live for around $1,500 per month. I would be working in Coral Gables if I do move. Lastly, living in Philly now the quality of life is good (it's not cheap, but not NYC expensive) and the city has a great food scene; however, I am wondering how lively Miami is outside of SoBe. I spent some time working in Miami for brief weekend events and as much as I love the weather I'm not sure how lively the city is outside of the party scene (which I am not so much into now.)
    Any tips or feedback are most appreciated.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Thinking about moving from Philly to Miami...

Thank goodness you are moving WITH a job. Not many people do that. That's already a great start to a successful move!

Coral Gables, The Grove and South Miami are all very walkable, lively areas. Plenty to do, great fitness scene, good bars and great restaurants. It's pretty lively all over Miami! Plus everyone is friendly, and there's running groups, yoga studios, book clubs at Barnes and Noble, a vibrant cafe scene... I think you'll love it.

New User

Ok, great - thanks a lot! I needed to hear a positive response!

I would love to live in the Grove over South Beach at this point. That area is gorgeous, with enough to do to keep you busy.

Hi,

The grove & gables are nice..more of a bustling area than a quiet suburb but it is more houses than apartments.

$1500 will get you something small in the heart of the grove and the same for the gables. Having pets will further complicate matters.

There are some updated units in older buildings in and around the gables that I would highly recommened. Galiano street, area between UM & Miracle Mile, Alhambra St, etc. are all nice quiet areas with lots of green space. Close enough to the center of gables where there is a great food scene. I know Philly has really picked up as a food capital and overall Miami definitely tops it, but since Miami is so spread out, I think Philly beats it based on public transportation and walkability to the different bouroughs. However the weather sucks in philly (i'm originally from there) so I find it much easier to root for the Phillies & Eagles on the beach than in the snow!

I found 2 clients properties simililar to what you are seeking in the gables, so that would be my #1 recommendation. The grove can be hit or miss and for your initial relocation to Miami, you would want it to be a hit!

Good luck in the move!

I'm not sure what Jess means by people being friendly here. I mean, yeah, they're nicer than Philly, but that's kinda like saying we don't have as much crime at Detroit. It's HARD to make friends here, especially if you're going to be living off the Beach as the dominant culture here is not American, and therefore you will be an outsider everywhere you go. People on here say all the time, oh, I'm open minded, I like other cultures, I'll do fine, blah blah blah. But they also have to like YOU. And I have found that typically unless you're on the Beach or in Midtown/Wynwood somewhere, if you're not Hispanic you are generally excluded socially. This is something a lot of people don't think about, and it will likely be the case at your office too. Read this if you haven't, it's painfully accurate...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

The scarce jobs thing you won't have to worry about. But the rest of it.....yeah.

That said the areas Sobespace and Jess recommended are all nice enough. Walkable is a pretty loosely used term as the Grove and Gables have some small, concentrated areas with lots of stuff, but residential areas are spread out a lot. You, yes, you WILL need a car. But I'm guessing you knew that. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

New User

hi everyone, thanks a lot for the feedback. great to know the pros and cons. seems going from walking everywhere to driving everywhere would definitely be a change. the food scene in philly is amazing - glad to hear miami's is great, too. we'll see what happens. thanks again!

New User

Thanks for the post.....It will be very helpful to me.

csshomewardbound.com