Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Jay
    New User

Default I have a job opportunity in Miami.

I currently live in Atlanta Ga. I have a job opportunity in the city of Doral. This is a 60k a year job, much higher than my current salary in Atlanta. I have three small children, only one old enough to be in school. I have done a lot of research on this forum and decided that living "in the city of Miami" is not for me, but I know a commute from some of the areas my wife and I like may be too much. These areas are mostly in Palm Beach. Schools and a safe area are important to me and I was wondering if anyone could provide some areas that I might be overlooking.

I've considered Boca, Coral Springs, maybe Weston.

Default Re: I have a job opportunity in Miami.

Welcome! The good news is commuting to Doral is going to be easy as it is right off the turnpike. Is it a 9-5 or shift work? That may make a difference to the commute, although not sure how busy the turnpike is.

As for areas, Boca is FAR! Look along the turnpike and see what areas are in easy reach. I don't know where to suggest really as all the places you said are far. What about going South? Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest are great for families.

Pembroke Pines would probably be ideal for you and your family. Its a good commute down the turnpike but a more family friendly area.

Doral is very industrial in my opinion. Lots of shipping companies, trucking, industrial etc. Outside of the golf course and Mall, there isn't much there except overpriced rentals and a lack of English speaking population.

Aventura would be a great option for you as well. A+ schools, some affordable rentals, 3rd biggest mall in the country, close to the beach, close to gulf stream to watch the horses race in a classy place, lots of restaurants, good parks, etc. It is off exit 16 from I-95 and you can hop on the 826 and take it directly to the back end of Doral at the 41st street exit which is 1 of two main roads that go through Doral.

$60k/year is about $5k'month and a wife and kids, that's going to be tough if she isn't working. A decent 2 bedroom rental will run you $1600-$2000 in Aventura and $2000-$2500 for a 3 Bedroom. Possibly a bit cheaper in Pembroke Pines. You could also rent a townhome or house for $2300 or less in Doral and be close to work. Also factor your current car insurance will double and pray your new job offers you affordable health care on a family plan.

Remember you need 3 months + application fees to move in anywhere so figure on $6500-$7500 just to get in to a place unless you find a decent apartment complex (they usually do 1st and about a $1000 deposit and a few hundred in move fees).

Oh, and commuting to Palm Beach County is a definite NO. That drive will wear on you quickly and the tolls & gas will kill you. If you were living in Homestead, you could get a 3-4 bedroom house for $1600-$1800/month but West Boca / Palm Beach will still cost you about Miami prices.

I think if you have a family and can afford it, move to Weston. You can jump right on I-75 and be in Doral pretty quickly. Aventura has the disadvantage of having to deal with Miami street traffic before you even get to the freeway, which if you work at normal times will be unbearably jammed.

Also, the schools in West Broward are actually decent, because they have money there. And if your wife works and has a comparable salary, you can probably afford to rent in Weston.

Pinecrest at P. Bay are nice aread but that drive to Doral in the AM is a killer.

The Pines seems to get a little trashier every time I go there. Davie is pretty nice though, and again not a terrible drive to Doral.

But Weston, definitely your best bet for a family.

What perk about Davie is lots of gun ranges and archery ranges, rodeos and all sorts of fun outdoor activities depending on what part of Davie you stay in.

Honestly, none of those things like gun ranges or archery would appeal if I was a parent! Way to injure your kids or what?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Honestly, none of those things like gun ranges or archery would appeal if I was a parent! Way to injure your kids or what?!
    It's not super unusual for American kids to get involved in the shooting sports. ... And, they're statistically more likely to get injured or killed during the car ride on the way to the range. Ranges are strictly monitored. I can't say the same for the wild show that goes on out on the roads.

New User

Hey everyone! I am a newbie to the forum and wanted to say hello. I live in Doral so thought I would jump in. Doral is a nice area and is not all warehouses (although we do have our fair share). I live in a great gated community and the malls, golf, and communities are great. I enjoy being 20 minutes from South Beach or Downtown but being far enough away to not be in the middle of it all. Doral is a extremely Venezuelan community so if you do live here you have to get used to being spoken to in Spanish and not English. In saying that I speak very little Spanish and am not Venezuelan and I still like Doral. The commute coming up the turnpike from the South would be miserable so I agree with the previous poster about Weston/Broward/Pembroke Pines area. I like Pembroke Pines and I think you could find something decent in your price range. I commute South from Doral each day and have absolutely no traffic. Totally agree that 60k here will not at all be the same as if you were making it in Atlanta. Everything here is just so much more expensive then anywhere I have lived. I suggest coming for a visit if you have not done so already as this place (Miami) is so much different then most people think. I have been here about a year so this is just my 2 cents. Don't do Palm Beach!!! WAY TOO FAR AWAY. Don't count out Doral either..at least take a look although I think North may be more your speed. :-) I look forward to chatting with everyone more soon!

You can't be 20 minutes from Dtowntown and South Beach if you're coming West. That's my #1 pet peeve about when people describe locations in Miami, they cut the transit time to South Beach by about half. I have friends in Brickell who say they're "5 minutes from South Beach."

Maybe in a tricked out police car at 4 a.m.

Sorry, Satieheart26, you make some good points about Doral. But 20 minutes from South Beach is the 3 a.m. drive time when you're flooring it. Assuming you live right next to a freeway onramp.

New User

I do live right next to the freeway so it is exactly 18-25 minutes to Downtown or South Beach from my house...now this has been at some ungodly hours not RUSH hour but I don't go downtown/beach in RUSH hour because I hate Miami traffic (why I live in Doral due to work location). I also normally only go downtown on weekends or nights. I literally get on the freeway go like two exits and am by the airport. That is the longest part of the drive and then 8-12 miles of open freeway I am at the beach. Now if you want to count sitting on Collins then that could take forever depending on the night but I generally park at a friends and off we go.

I just want people to realize that sometimes it is best to work close to where you live. I go out late at night with no traffic or on weekends if I want to go to downtown or South Beach. 20-25 minutes is for real for me but not for real during RUSH times for the average Joe. I in no way want anyone to think that the work day commute into South Beach or Miami would be 20-25 minutes. Watch, I am going jinx myself by putting times and the next time I go east I will be in a pile up. It is nice to meet you Matt.

I think the worst rush hour traffic times to SoBe IS weekends and late nights. That's when everyone comes in to eat, drink, and party.

Yes I absolutely agree people need to live near where they work here. A bad commute will ruin your life in Miami.