Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Talking Greek moving to Miami

Hello there!

I am thinking of moving to Miami from Greece and there are so many questions to be answered!

I am looking for a job at a hospital or a birth center as a midwife. As I searched an annual income is around 84,000-94,000 dollars. Is this valid?

Is this amount of money capable of providing me a nice apartment/studio in a nice and safe area including power, gas, internet, laundry facilities, air-condotion?
    And of course all the necessary extras? Like cell phone, insurance, night life etc?

I have more questions about taxies. What is going on on that area? Which are the obligations of a foreign worker with a degree?

That's it for now!

Default Re: Greek moving to Miami

Welcome to the forums! 90k a year will buy you everything you want, and then some. That is a very good salary.

As for taxes, which is what I think you meant, everyone pays taxes if you live and work in America.

New User

Thank you Jess! Yes, "taxes" is what I meant! I just wonder what is left from 90k to use!

And just because I was surprised with the particular amount of money ( ) , is there anyone who can give me more concrete information about a nurse's/midwife's salary?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Hello, $90k seems on the high side but you likely will get excellent health insurance and believe me, THAT is worth a lot. The ultra-most important question is whether you will get a written job offer and whether your future employer will petition and pay your work visa. You must absolutely have this work visa, full stop period. Without a work visa you are not welcome in the USA (and the same holds for USA people wanting to work in the EU). There are some special cases for some medical staff positions, which may help you, but you still must get that visa first. Hoppie

New User

Thank you for the respond Hoppie!
    I am aware of the "must have" visa! I did not know that my employer has to pay my work visa. I know about the written job offer as it is necessary presuppotion to have a work visa.
    Though I am realy interesting on that special cases for medical staff positions! Could you give me some more info about that?
    And do you have any idea of the real salary of a nurse/midwife?

Usually the employer has to offer you a job for you to get the work visa. You cannot go and get one yourself.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Here's a start for the visa stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa

Interesting notice:
    For FY2014, USCIS announced on 2013 April 5 that enough petitions were received to reach the year's quota any time between April 1 and April 5.
    In other words, you already have no chance to get in for fiscal year 2014. This is a dramatic departure from the previous years in which it took months to reach the cap.

You will want to look over the other visa classes to determine whether you can apply for one of the special categories, including medical:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

I have no clue about medical salaries -- I am in a completely different area of work.

Hoppie

New User

Oh my god Hoppie! Very interesting information, I have to be very compentitive to have a chance to your country and have at least two years to prepare myself....!Maybe I should seek for an other way too, an extra bachelor or something would be nice