Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Moving from Istanbul

Hello everyone

İ am 26 yo and have bachelor degree.İ applied FİU for my master degree and wish to attend there.But i am going to pay big amount of money to school coz of that i should find undertable jobs at bars,restaurants or clubs for my monthly costs.İ know that speaking spanish is important there but i should make some money coz with another way that education will be much expensive for me.İ will stay there minimum 1 year.

Please send your advices and also you can send pm.İ wish to meet people who live in there.Please write to me and my post

Default Re: moving to miami from istanbul

Finding and under the table job is manageable but not very easy. Restaurants around Miami Beach and in Downtown Miami would be your best bet, and you would need to apply in person. Also typically those positions reserved for those working under the table is bus person or dishwasher.

And those positions pay very, very little. Maybe look into landscaping and lawn work and the like. How would you not be able to work if you have a student visa?

New User

İ will not have work visa.That is why i am searching for undertable

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Restaurants will not hire illegal aliens. They face HUGE fines for doing so and are watched by homeland security. Most restaurants now eVerify employees.

I know nothing about the landscaping business.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...FQ6qnQodTBYAvA

Yeah....moving here without paperwork is a bad idea in pretty much every way possible. Places with big agricultural industries like California, Texas and the non-desert parts of the Southwest might be better. Miami? Not advisable AT ALL if you can't legally work.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

And, I hate to say it, but Turkey is currently on the wrong side of the Islamic line and you will be intensely tracked on your way here. Difficult to get in and stay under the radar. Without papers, guaranteed trouble.

However, if you get accepted at FIU and have a student visa, aren't you allowed to work on campus? The USCIS web site claims:

F-1 students may accept on campus employment in your university without seeking prior permission from USCIS.

Hoppie
    Last edited by Hoppie; 04-21-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: more info

Working on campus is a great option if it is the only option I have friends working there and they make a pittance compared to what they should make if they were not a student there. For example I know a manager at one of the college books stores who makes decent pay. But her student/worker employees make less than what I would think is fair.

rk

Yes, student visa allows working on-campus, though there are restrictions on how many hours per week, etc. You can also work off-campus if you get approval (not a sure thing).

New User

Yes,working on campus is possible,but find a campus job is quite difficult.Nearly thousand students apply these jobs

Sometimes those jobs come as part of a financial aid package too. Like work study for example.

New User

you mean teaching and research assistantship??

Yeah those typically are offered as a part of a grad school package.

One more thing to consider that may be less severe than the actual visa is that in Moving from Istabbul to Miami you will probably experience a bit of Culture Shock. I have friends who have traveled to Istanbul and stayed there for some time and they thought it was a great trip, and while they were quick to point out how forward thinking and progressive the city is, they gave me the impression it is still different than Miami. Miami is one of the most liberal, or at least anti conservative city's I can think of, for every thing except maybe gun control laws. So you may face a bit of a cultural transition upon arriving here.

Personally I would look forward to the culture shock and see it as a learning experience. But then again my friends may have been full of it, and you might see Miami much more similar to Istanbul than I thought. Either way if you do make it here I would look forward to hearing about how you experienced the change.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah those typically are offered as a part of a grad school package.
    University did not offer me any assistantship and financial aid.İ would pay all school fees unfortunately.İ am not worried about culture shock.İ do not think that would affect me.İ am worried about only money .İt would be 50.000k-60.000k .İs it not big amount of money?

Oh no. That's a big amount of money. And if you can't afford it, don't do it. Because one thing about Miami, everything just seems to cost more than you think it will.

New User

İ have around 60.000 but not sure i should spend it or not.İmportant question,would i find a job after one year education with opt??Miami is only touristic place and not have any industry ,definitely that seems job market is limited in there.Especially,in consruction industry.İs it really difficult to find a job in consruction industry??what do u think about it guys??

Default Re: Moving from Istanbul

Well Miami recently had a set back with construction so many buildings were being constructed and the projects were halted or cancelled and the other buildings that were finished have stayed pretty much empty so construction is not thriving at this moment in Miami.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by bosphorus bull View Post
    İ have around 60.000 but not sure i should spend it or not.İmportant question,would i find a job after one year education with opt??Miami is only touristic place and not have any industry ,definitely that seems job market is limited in there.Especially,in consruction industry.İs it really difficult to find a job in consruction industry??what do u think about it guys??
    That seems like a lot to spend, and there is no assurance you will get a job after the first year. Depends a lot on your field of study also. Probably the best you can hope for is a teaching or research assistantship. If you get into a school with lower tuition, that could be worth looking into. While a student it is difficult to get off-campus jobs unless they are part of some approved internship program in your field of study. After graduating, you will have to get a job where the employer is willing to sponsor you for a visa. Not impossible, but not easy