Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    MAB
    New User

Default Moving to Brickell from NYC - self employed & I don't know anyone

Hi Folks!

I finally pulled the trigger and decided to move to Brickell from NYC and I'm very excited (living in Icon). I will be arriving next week.

I'm worried about meeting new people because I'm a bit of a quiet person and I'm self employed (so I don't have any office to go to or new co-workers to meet). I'm a single, 28 year old white male - I'm not so into clubs but I'm okay with bars/divebars. I don't know anyone​ in the Miami area

Does anyone have recommendations for what to do on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday night? Any suggestions on how I can make friends around my age?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Moving to Brickell from NYC - self employed & I don't know anyone

Hi,

Welcome to Miami!

Brickell has an abundance of bars/restaurants in your area as well as countless things to do as far as events go in Brickell & Downtown.

TMSSC.com is the Sports & Social club and an easy way to meet people. They have brickell soccer leagues, beach volleyball played downtown on Bayshore & 17th, Softball/Kickball in the Grove & South Beach, etc.

If you are self-employed, you could join the local chamber of commerce group and meet with them weekly/monthly to promote yourself and meet business contacts.

And for meeting girls, well they will be everywhere down there. Either exercising by the bay or at happy hours at Blue Martini and the like.

Good luck!

Best thing to do is get out there. I also recommend to people to befriend a bar tender, easy to do, and a great way for that bartender to introduce you to other customers. I have worked behind a bar before and have seen other bartenders play match maker, or friend finder.

I moved here and didn't know anyone too. It isn't too bad making friends here, as a lot of people are new to the area. I don't know the Brickell scene very well though, I'm a beach girl. I met people just going out and about. The first six months are tough, but after that, you'll be fine, and have a huge social life.

You sir moved to the WRONG part of town if you don't know anyone. Brickell is quite possibly the worst part of Miami to move to if you are a new American as the overwhleming of the majority of the area is comprised of wealthy South Americans who don't particularly like or respect anyone who is not from the top 1% of their country. Even the ones who aren't arrogant don't speak a lot of English, so your interaction with your neighbors will be less than minimal. As will interaction at businesses as, again, you're very much an outsider. I would never recommend this area (I live there now) to anyone new, as it's about as exclusionary a social scene as you'll find in Miami.

You can take the suggestions others here gave you, they're all good. You may also want to look into finding a part-time job as a server or bartender or something in South Beach if you have time. That's an area where it's VERY easy to meet people as it's super transient, so everyone is always looking to make friends. That, and you'll find other Americans there. In Brickell, we're kind of a novelty.

I've lived here 14 years, so I'm not going on some sort of racist rant here because I don't like people. I'm just telling you what I've seen time and time again. Perhaps your experience will be different, but my advice would be to finish up your lease and if you haven't decided you hate this place yet (most Americans do within a couple years) move to the Beach, Midtown or Coconut Grove. And for the love of God read this...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

I am in the exact same situation as you.

I got here about 2 months ago. I do programming so I just sit by myself most of the day and work.

I have meet some people here, but finding some with the same interests as myself seem very hard.
    Most of the people I have meet is "party people" which are fun to be around at night when going out, but there is not much more to it than that.

If I go out it is usually for dinner or taking a walk around the Beach before I go to sleep.

I have looked at Meetup.com to find some relevant events. But never attended.

If you want, feel free to write me and we can go out and try to meet people and socialize.

I will tell you that living in Miami versus living in other Major US cities ... (I moved here 5 years ago from Atlanta) People in Miami are very strange. It's actually difficult to meet genuine and "good" people here. Most people in miami are only interested in what they can get out of you .. it's kind of sad really. My only advice to you is, be weary on who you befriend, because alot of people are only looking for what they can milk you for ... Make true friends in Miami is tough ... especially in Brickell / SoBe like Matt said.