Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Ang
    New User

Default Chicago to Miami in the fall!

Hi. What a wonderful website and love all the helpful information on here especially the candor regarding Miami life.

I have the opportunity to move to Miami this fall for my job.

About me:
    female, single, 40, no kids, no pets, currently living in Chicago (in the city, River North). I work from home, but I will have to drive around Miami and Fort Lauderdale for meetings.

I have narrowed it down to three living locations (South Beach, Brickell, and Coconut Grove), if you could help me narrow it down to one or two it would be great. I am going to take another Trip down to Miami to check out these areas again.

Here is what I would like to have.

1. Parking
    2. Nice facilities gym, pool, etc.
    3. One bedroom ( i can afford $1,800 - $2,300, of course would like to stay around $2000.00 if possible) Water and/or city view?
    4. Easy drive to MIA by car or taxi, I travel a fair amount. Brickell has a train to MIA right?
    5 Close to the beach/bay, would love to be able to access a running trail on the beach without having to drive. Can I do that in Brickell and Coconut Grove?
    6. Walkable area...coffee, bars, restaurants, yoga/gym, and grocery store. I don't mid driving once in a while to target, etc.
    7. Does Miami have farmers markets in these areas during the summer?

Thank you for your input!

Default Re: Chicago to Miami in the fall!

After reading the Criteria of your search I feel Coconut Grove would be you best option. Parking is easier in the the Grove than in the two other locations, and your price range seems great for that area as well. You can get water and/or city view in the Grove, and it is also the closest to MIA. And I think Coconut Grove is very walk-able and there are farmer's markets there weekly I believe.

SoBe has Farmers Markets weekly too, but getting to the airport is a pain from here via public transport. You will need to find a high rise building for parking, gym etc, so I am actually going to suggest Brickell or Midtown. Mid town is cheaper to live, very close to the airport, no market but a huge target and also gyms, yoga studio etc.

Ang
    New User

Thank you Dylan and Jess, I appreciate the feedback.

Few more questions....

1. Is there access to the waterfront in Brickell, Midtown, or coconut Grove by just walking? I would love to have a access to a path to run on by the water.

2. If I lived in SoBe, how bad is it to take a taxi or drive to MIA?

3. Will I be one of the oldest residents in Brickell/Midtown..is it a 20 something crowd?

Thanks again!

Yeah you can get to parts of the waterfront in Brickell. There's a whole path around Brickell Key that's really nice. BUT Brickell is incredibly unpleasant if you have to drive. It's horrendously overbuilt and driving it often takes longer to get out of Brickell than to get to other parts of the city. The big plus would be a train to the airport, so you never have to deal with parking there or finding a ride. You can also take the Metrorail easily to the 2 other parts of the city it goes to that people might actually want to see.

The Beach is nice, but again if you're driving a lot it's a pain because it's often super-congested getting on and off. Especially during festival weekends like WMC, Boat Show, Basel and the like. Living there is fun, and it's a lot more American feeling than the rest of the city so you won't feel like QUITE the outsider you would in Brickell. The Beach is diverse, but Birckell is pretty much all Hispanic. Take that for what it is. Getting to MIA is a $38 cab ride and isn't too bad unless you go at evening rush hour. Forget taking public transportation. The Flyer is good for tourists who have time. If you live here it's just too time-consuming.

Insofar as age, since you seem to live like a younger person you should be fine. I mean, I'd say the crowd in Brickell/Midtown/The Beach is slightly younger, like 20s and 30s. But it's not like a college town or anything.

Parking is really only an option in South Beach if you live in a highrise or a little north of SoBe. Residential parking there is a crapshoot, and downright infuriating on weekends.

Farmer's markets are pretty common all year. Summer is actually when we have less of them due to rain and it being super hot. I know the one in the Gables doesn't run in the summer, not sure about the one in South Beach. There's one in Brickell too, though it's a lot smaller.

Midtown is a lot nicer than Brickell in that there's space there and you meet a lot more interesting people. not all finance folks or rich south Americans. It IS a lot younger, though, mostly people with their 2nd jobs out of school. Take that also for what it is, you may find you relate better to those folks anyway. It's also more central to driving and doesn't have near the traffic congestion. Short trip to MIA too, shorter than South Beach.

Ang
    New User

Thanks Matt. All of this information is very helpful...When I visit next month I am going to focus on Midtown and SoBe.