Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Question Apartment to rent near Jackson Memorial Hospital

Hi there,

I will start to work at Jackson memorial hospital in July and looking for a decent apartment close to the campus. I do not have a car and not planning to buy one soon as I will be at Jackson memorial for one year only.

I found two apartment west of the campus that seems very nice and highly amenitised. But not sure about the immediate area. Can any one provide some info for the area around There- west of NW 14th avenue between NW17th street and NW14th street? There are two brand new apartments there Somerset Tower and Oak Plaza.

Thanks a lot!

Grace

Default Re: Apartment to rent near Jackson Memorial Hospital

Hi Grace, welcome to the forums! I personally don't know those areas or apartment buildings, but hopefully others will. If you have other Miami questions, I will try and help you out. I do know that Miami without a car is tough though, so you will not be able to get to all reas, unless you're happy to sit on the bus.

Yeah that is NOT a good part of town. Especially if you are female, especially walking around alone at night. I strongly advise against moving into that neighborhood. While there are some nice buildings, and the relative safety can go street by street, it's not somewhere I'd recommend.

The good news for you is that you're working right near the Metrorail, so even without a car (BAD idea, but if you must, you must) you can look in Brickell or downtown, which are both considerable safer. I wouldn't suggest looking anywhere that's going to require a bus tranfer to the Metrorail or Metromover, though, as the bus system here is pretty awful unless you're in SOuth Beach.

The rents in those areas can be very high, though. You can also look in East little Havana, which is only a short walk to the Government Center Metrorail station. Again not an area I'd advise a single female to walk around alone at night, but safer than the area around Jackson. But if your hours don't require that it might be a cost-effective option.

Not having a car is going to seriously limit where you can live. That cost will be made up by the increased rent you're going to have to pay to live in Brickell or downtown so you can take the Metrorail. So if you can you may want to look into getting one. What's your monthly rent budget?

Can you survive in those complexes? Sure. Will you enjoy the amenities and building? Probably. But is there a higher risk there than say Brickell or South Beach? Absolutely. Its the Miami River & Hospital district so its lower rents with some unsavory people surrounded by you.

If the metrorail takes you right to work, then you can take the metrorail to a better neighborhood. Look at the Metro rail map online and see the areas that it stops near. (UM, Coconut Grove, Dadeland) - Im' sure you'd find a better, inexpensive apartment in that area. Or do Brickell like Matt said and live in a full service, secure building for $1600-$1800/month for a 1 bedroom that includes Cable, Internet, Parking, Pool/Gym/Spa, etc.

South Miami might not be a bad, more-affordable options either.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Grace,

If you're coming from Ohio like your nickname suggests, you're in for a treat...

The Metrorail is by far the most recommended means of transport if you need to go to Jackson Memorial or anything within 10-15 minutes walking distance off the Civic Center metrorail station (look at the map). http://goo.gl/maps/NUjQE

I happened to take the Metrorail from Dadeland North (the one-but-Southernmost station on both the Orange and Green lines) to Jackson Memorial recently. During the day it is perfectly OK. I understood that in rush hour it is full of Jackson commuters. If you have off-business hour shifts, it will be a different picture though.

The Metrorail basically limits your residential options to East Kendall around the two Dadeland stations, and then up US1 from station to station through Coral Gables, sort of Coconut Grove, Brickell. I think we should not recommend Overtown.

Keep in mind that walking 1/4 mile in Miami Summer Heat feels like 4 miles. You really don't want to live more than 1/4 mile from a metrorail station.

Concerning living without a car: that is exceedingly difficult. I am from a country (Holland) that is very pro-bicycle and walking, but the near-total lack of acceptable public transport in Miami is really stopping you off. Without a car, you are stuck between where you live, the nearest supermarket and/or strip mall, and where the Metrorail takes you. That isn't a lot and you will miss out on 99% of what Miami has to offer. Never mind trying to get furniture or a vacuum cleaner home.

However, for Jackson Memorial you most definitely will NOT want to drive a car. Drive to the nearest Metrorail, park for $4 or something like that a day, and enjoy the ride. It may be that staff parking at Jackson is okay but for patients, forget it. Take the Metrorail.

Hoppie
    Last edited by Hoppie; 04-21-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: more info

I saw the title of this thread and instantly thought "this person needs to be warned..." seems like some other beat me to it. In you are near Jackson hospital, you are near the jail. And it is always a little sketchy seeing the mobs of people released (seemingly always some time after dark has fallen) wearing the plastic grey and black flip flops walking around. I would highly suggest you look at a few other areas, or simply drive around the Jackson Memorial Hospital at night.

New User

Thanks you guys for all the good tips!!! The area looks sketchy but I thought might not be that bad...but now I know more. Start to look in Brickell or Coconut Grove.

What is your budget?