Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Ery
    New User

Default Apartment hunting- suggestions?

Hello everyone! I'm another transplant in search of housing, hoping you cannprovide insight. My apologies if this was previously answered, but I haven't seen these same requirements (goals) in other posts, so I'll give it a shot. I'm looking for a place/neighborhood that can meet the following needs, in descending order of importance:

1) Safety. I work late hours and travel a fair amount, so as a woman, I don't want to have to worry too much about safer coming home late at night. Likewise, building safety is a priority.
    2) Relative quiet (given the long work hours). I need my beauty sleep! Preferably not a bunch of clubs/college students/construction in the immediate vicinity.
    3) Price. Ok, so I may be unrealistic, but I would love to spend 1500-1700 all in, max. Amenities aren't a focus, but certainly a nice bonus. I don't need a high-rise either, but I won't argue if a decently price one comes my way.
    4) Commute. I will work near Brickell and 15th, near the archy roads. No parking at work. I don't mind commuting, as I know Brickell is pricey, but I would like to keep within a 20-30 min commute using public transit. Are late night (10-11) buses/metra rail unsafe?
    5) As a nice to have, I like a teensy bit of quirk or uniqueness in my neighborhood, allowing for #1 above. Decent restaurants/walk ability in the immediate vicinity is a plus, if possible.

Given my list, I'm pondering northeast Coconut Grove, Midtown, and the Roads. I dont think i want to deal with the bridge/traffic for south beach. Feel free to tell me if I'm delusional in my expectations. Any areas and/or buildings or other considerations you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, my realtor is sending me places near sw 37th/32nd ave and 22nd st. The crime maps seem to show a small pocket of crime in that area. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Ery; 04-24-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Default Re: Apartment hunting- suggestions?

Welcome to the forums!

As a Realtor, I can say that YOUR Realtor should be answering these questions, telling what your expecations should be and sending you what's availabe in these areas. If they are not or being lazy/unreachable then its best you seek help elsewhere. There are plenty of lazy Realtors in this city who don't care about rentals and there are plenty more that do care and will give you good service. Stay away from the Renter's Paradise type places, and stick to large companies like Keyes, Keller Williams, Douglas Elliman, etc. Even the Brickell companies like Cervera & Fortune will have reputable agents working for them (hopefully!). If you prefer the gables/grove, then hire a Realtor in that area, the same for South Beach or Midtown. If an agent lives far away from your target area, they won't want to waste the gas/time on a rental and will just be lazy and send out pictures or give you lockbox codes (which is illegal).

Personally I would recommend Edgewater/Bayshore (15th to 36th), or South Beach. Both offer lots of conveinences and are 'quirky' neighborhoods to say the least. There is a 1/1 Loft at Bay Lofts (25th street on the water at the end of a street) for $1600, a larger unit for $1700 in the same building, a 1/1 loft at Uptown Lofts (24th & Biscayne), and a 1/1 at Cite on 20th & Bayshore (Large outdoor area/park, building has pool/gym/security/parking/wifi rooms) for $1650.

No buildings/units will include all utilities so your idea of 'all in' is not realistic. Electricity will run you $75-$95 depending on the building and how much you do inside. These buildings I mentioned all have Washer/Dryer in the unit where as some South Beach units probably won't. A lot of the new buildings include cable and some even include internet, and all will include water & 1 parking spot. Infinity Brickell even includes telephone along with cable/internet/water so its pretty close to all in. But 1 bedrooms there (whether it be small 2 story loft or regular unit), will run you $1700+. Rental rates have sky rocketed everywhere so I would definitely recommend the 1/1 at Cite (2000 Bayshore) over all the ones mentioned because it gives you the best value for the dollar.

Good luck in your search!

Public transportation isn't really going to be an opion for you unless you decide to live in Brickell or Downtown. And Brickell is definitely going to be out of your price range unless you find a roommate. So first off, jus accept you're going o be driving to work and factor in cost of parking with your cost of living.

The crime thing, I mean if you want to be able to walk around as a single female at night, your only options are going to be South Beach, Brickell, Midtown and Coral Gables. But the Gables will be a bitch of a commute, so you can cut that one out.

The Beach to Brickell isn't a bad drive, especially once you learn the routes to take to avoid traffic. Given what you're looking fo, I'd recommend South Beach as A) It's relatively safe B) I's a short drive and C) It's fun. I mean even if you don't party, you'll meet a lot more people there. If you moved to like SW 32nd Ave (still a bitch of a commute) or anywhere in in the CW corridor, you're not going to have near the social interaction. And that's something you definitely need to consider when moving to a new city. The Beach is also pretty diverse, so your chances of meeting other Americans is much better.

You can find quiet parts of South Beach, and it's definitely quirky. SOMETIMES getting on and off he beach can be miserable, like during festival weekends. But you'll find it's less consistently miserable than having to drive from SW into downtown and back on a daily basis. That's the worst commute in the city.

Ery
    New User

Thank you both for your help =D

Finding apartments without a realtor in Miami can be very shady. I reccommend that you stick with Realtor if possible. Alot of people in Miami are foreclosing on apartments .. and they rent them out .. then one day you get a "you have 30 days to vacate your property because bank is taking posession" notice from the Police.

I have a friend who's a realtor and she's always done wonders for me. Look her up "Aixa Nunez"

Quote Originally Posted by duprade View Post
    Finding apartments without a realtor in Miami can be very shady. I reccommend that you stick with Realtor if possible.
    That's what I always tell people...this isn't Orlando or Savannah or Dallas...

Plus Our services are free so I'm not sure why people still don't use them (besides the fact that most in the city are lazy & rude I get that.) I guess some people still think they can do it on their own...

Those are the best clients, when they contact me and just exhausted from searching or tired of the run around...I always say "you shoulda called me first!"