Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Family with Teens Moving to Miami-Is Beach Living out of Question?

New User

Default Family with Teens Moving to Miami-Is Beach Living out of Question?

We may be relocating to Miami for work on the beach. We are Floridians, get the beach scene and want to live as close to the water as possible.. but have never lived in a city as large or diverse as Miami. I am seeing affordable homes in North Beach areas and places such as Sunset Island, Surfside, Normandy Isle, etc. Miami Beach High school doesn't look horrible, but I really don't know. We have two attractive, smart daughters who would both be in high school. I would love to hear from families raising teens on Miami Beach who have managed keep the hedonism from ruining thier lives.

Default Re: Family with Teens Moving to Miami-Is Beach Living out of Question?

I think the lack of replies here is because no one has raised their teens here. I think Miami Beach is not a great place for teens, and if you can choose to live elsewhere and commute to the beach, that would be a far safer option.

I was in charge of a bunch of teenage girls in Miami Beach for a couple years, and if I have one piece of advice it's DON'T RAISE TEENAGE GIRLS ON THE BEACH. There are just levels of trouble they can get in here that they can't even in other parts of Miami. People on vacation don't necessarily care about laws, and even if you have good kids the level of temptation is unlike anything you'll find outside of maybe Las Vegas. I had to go pick girls up at Penthouses South of Fifth when parties went bad. Some got in all kinds of trouble on Fisher Island because it seems so glamorous. Just don't so it. Flat out.

With a family, I'd recommend maybe Miami Shores. It's not a bad drive to the Beach and easier to keep your kids away from what can happen in South Beach. Really, with girls, it's a no-brainer. Stay the F away from the Beach.
    Jess likes this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

What about Key Biscayne? My husband's bestie and his wife are raising their three teen girls there and seem very happy. They have a gorgeous house on the water.

I know girls who were raised in Key Biscayne and they are all doing well for the most part. I think Key Biscayne is a much better option than Miami Beach.

I've known some Key Rats over the years, much better place to grow up than the Beach in terms of safety and what you get exposed to. Also, I see kids walking around there ALL the time, so I'm guessing raising families there must not be so bad.

I see a lot of nannies walking kids about there... rich neighborhood.

I know mostly from going to school with the but as Mat stated the Key Rats seem to do well, the real issue is affording to live in Key Biscayne and dealing with the annoying toll and the seclusion from the rest of the city. Oh and the wretched traffic for 1-2 weeks a year from the Sony Erickson Open tennis match.

The traffic just getting on and off the island on a regular day during rush hour can be pretty brutal too. Remember it's one, four lanes road on and off, no back roads or anything. And now that bridge at Bear Cut is cut down to two lanes I can only assume it's even worse. So much like all the suburban areas where your teen daughters won't be subjected to massive amounts of sex, drugs and partying, you're going to have to deal with long trips in horrendous traffic on a daily basis.

True but I will say I have attended some pretty impressive house parties hosted by Key Rats when their parents were out of town so don't let you guard down too much.

Key Biscayne is a wholesome place though. I'd live there with kids. Although it's pretty insular.

If you are lucky enough to live in Key Biscayne, why live anywhere else?

Its an island paradise with amazing views and multi-million dollar homes & yachts..and you can drive around in a golf cart!

True story. One time we ran a 5k in the state park, and our car was parked miles away in CVS. This super nice lady picked us up in her golf cart and drove us back to our car. People are nicer in Key Biscayne.