Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Miami Commutes - South Beach to Coral Gables

Hey all!

I will be relocating to Miami in the next few months, and although I've previously lived in Miami, can't really seem to gage this particular commute. I'll be working in Coral Gables, and ideally would like to live on the Beach. Is this commute 5 days a week going to make me lose my mind? I've been on MacArthur Causeway during bumper to bumper, and it was horrible. I've just never made this commute during rush hours. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Miami Commutes - South Beach to Coral Gables

Its funny, so many people living in Miami or coming to Miami complain about Causeway traffic, like this is a big detterant for living here.
    The real bumper to bumper traffic is I-95, US-1, the horrific 826 & 836, etc. Never once has the causeway played a part in my decision or my wife's decision to live on the beach and keep living on the beach.
    Just yesterday we were going over the bridge to see some downtown condos and the traffic was really backed up coming to South Beach. So when we left downtown, we took the i-195 (41st street) causeway on the way back and it was a breeze with no stopping and had us back at 17th street in no time. Most times this causeway is faster and if you live past Lincoln Rd, this is the recommened causeway. And on big days like boat show, you would just pay the $1.50 and take the venetian causeway.
    Probably on a handful of times in 3 years has the Mcarthur negatively affected us, and my wife & I worked in Doral for 2+ years while commuting to the beach. Driving to Doral was maddening, especially when we had a 3 or 4PM shift. 8-9am wasn't bad at all going to Doral as the traffic is coming from Doral to Downtown.
    And regarding rush hour, the beach doesn't have one :-) Unless you count a nice day on Sunday which you won't ever deal with living here since you probably wont' be coming home from your job in Coral Gables at 1PM on a Sunday.

Just don't take 395. Why anyone does it beyond me? Traffic, people staring at the cruise ships, about 4 sets of lights... 195 all the way.

On big weekends, getting home will be an absolute nightmare. I'd recommend living further north in the Beach so you can take 195 and have more options for how to get home during peak traffic times. But you won't be driving in the usual flow of traffic, and that's a plus. If you're working in South Gables, though, the stretch of I-95 btw 195 and downtown is miserable, so always take 395 then. If you're in north gables, like Downtown or north of there, take 395 to 836 to get to work. Getting home you're pretty screwed as the interchange to get to I-95 North to get to 195 backs up considerably. Then your other option is 395, which can be pretty miserable at rush hour. But it can also be completely clear. It's a crapshoot.

The only guarantee is boat show, Memorial Day, Art Basel and the entire month of March you will absolutely dread driving home.

Thank you guys so much! Very helpful info.