Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoppie

Thread: Miami insurance companies tighten their discount requirements

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Miami insurance companies tighten their discount requirements

It is well known that in the Miami area, car insurance rates are triple those elsewhere. Apparently there are so many bad drivers and fraudulent claims over here that the insurance companies had to (or better, could) increase the monthly payments to ridiculous levels. Of course there is stiff competition but this does not at all lead to lower rates. Most insurance companies even don't want to accept us as customers since we have not been living here for more than two years yet.

Their latest invention to claim that they actually offer safe drivers discounts also borders on the ridiculous. I know the technology has been available for a while, but installing these things just to prove it was not your fault that a SUV driven by a telephoning person took off the rear end of your car goes a bit far.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hoppie; 05-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Default Re: Miami insurance companies tighten their discount requirements

What is that, hoppie? A surveillance system?

And people ask me why I don't have insurance. If they're gonna be so unreasonable when I'm trying to bet against myself, I'll bet ON myself instead.

I have had a great driving record and no moving violations and I pay (what is deemed in Miami) a reasonable insurance rate for my age and sports coupes, or Sport edition sedans. My girlfriend just the same model year trim car as me, with the only difference being she does not have a sun roof and she pays more than double what I pay because mine is white and hers is red... I have head that red cars are more expensive to insure but that seems a little absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    I have had a great driving record and no moving violations and I pay (what is deemed in Miami) a reasonable insurance rate for my age and sports coupes, or Sport edition sedans. My girlfriend just the same model year trim car as me, with the only difference being she does not have a sun roof and she pays more than double what I pay because mine is white and hers is red... I have head that red cars are more expensive to insure but that seems a little absurd.
    That seems weird on the premium difference because of car color. Does your girlfriend have a similar driving record as you? Similar age? Similar amount of driving experience? Same insurance company? Same amount of coverage? Maybe she chose higher liability limits, such as 1 million liability per person, and yours might be 250K per person? ... I'm just brainstorming, and trying to figure why the rates would be so different. If anything, typically males pay higher rates, because we do more crazy stuff when we drive.
    Last edited by GandJ; 05-06-2013 at 04:24 PM.

rk

Hoppie, you raise some good points, but what is that photo supposed to illustrate?

Last year I moved to Miami Beach .. called my insurance company to change my address and my 6 month premium went down by $600 !!! Later in the year, I called to find out "as if I was moving" to Miami .. and the price would go up by $500 for 6 months. Needless to say, I have my insurance registered to Miami Beach.

Wow. So Miami is worse than Miami Beach??

Ironically, when I lived in South Beach, my girlfriends car was broken into.... INSIDE the parking garage for my building.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

I hoped that people would recognize these boxes.

They are genuine airliner black boxes. One Flight Data Recorder and one Cockpit Voice Recorder, exactly as you can find them in the tail of all aircraft large enough to carry more than a handful of passengers.

I needed them for a Career Day presentation at my daughter's elementary school, and on the way back to work I cooked up this photo plan. Unfortunately it dropped dead as most people don't recognize these things unless they are presented on a press conference table with a few seriously looking people around.

Hoppie
    rk likes this.