Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoppie

Thread: What to do if unable to legally work?

New User

Default What to do if unable to legally work?

Hi guys

I'm David and I work in South beach, legally.

Unfortunately my wife is forbidden to work. Any recomendations on what she can do in Miami Beach? Volunteer, study?

Thanks

Default Re: What to do if unable to legally work?

Hi David! Welcome to 411!

If you are able to work legally in the USA, how is it that your wife is not? I figured once she married a resident or citizen, then she also would get legal status to work.

If she chooses to study, she will probably have to attend Miami Dade College. But if she isn't a Florida resident, she will pay very high tuition fees.

Volunteering is always a good option, and also for a good cause. This is definitely something I'd choose.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

It's actually an extremely common situation. Many of my colleagues and myself are here on a H1-B worker visa, which includes H4 visa for spouse and children, under the explicit provision that they are not allowed to work. They can study and volunteer, but not work. Period. Since many of these (often) women themselves have a higher education, a large group of so-called "H1-B widows" exists that runs up the wall trying to stay sane.

Add to this that many schools simply prohibit volunteer work by people not already in the system, "out of security concerns", and you have the recipe of bright women withering away inside nice houses without a car and without much to do. Waiting for their husband to return from work. To go to Starbucks.

Hoppie

Sounds like the American Dream to me, Hoppie.

And they wonder why prescription drug abuse is so high in this state.

He he he -- it's Miami. South American Dream
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Holy crap, I had no idea! That sucks! Why can't spouses work too? And studying is very expensive, so they are just trying to make money with that one. That visa sounds like BS to me.

The problem is pretty much well known:

http://hrmarriedwidow.blogspot.com/

About 95% of what is written there is true, according to my experience and that of my colleagues.

I presume the whole idea is that these foreign workers are by the grace of God allowed to work here until true American people learn the same skills and can take over their jobs. The H-1B and H4 are clearly made to make you feel not welcome except as a non-resident alien (that is my official title). Come here to do our dirty work, in a sense. Then get out.

Hoppie
    Last edited by Hoppie; 05-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I think it is time for these women to put their minds together an figure out some entrepreneurial venture to keep them busy and make them a profit. I am sure they could figure something out. I do not think its fair that they are forced to not work, nor volunteer, but then again those are the restrictions our system imposes. There are places in Miami that allow people to work with out their work visas. Or private cosmetology, or assistant work is also a way to get around the system.

But these no work visa jobs are not as stimulating for a highly educated person as the more official jobs. Until right now I guess that is just one of the downside in regards to migrating to the USA.