Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Jobs that sponsor a visa

Are there any companies in Miami that are willing to help get one a workers visa??? I want to live in Miami for a few years but I can't with my EU passport. I didn't win the diversity visa this year and I don't want to marry just yet.

I have already replied to a few ads on craigslist but I doubt they will sponsor a visa.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Jobs that sponsor a visa

As everywhere else, yes there are companies that would sponsor an H-1B visa in Miami, but you have to bring something they need and cannot get from affordable US people. Don't forget that sponsoring costs about $3000 overall and that they hire a person with a built-in return ticket after a few years.

So you must have bachelor or better papers, a skill/experience actually needed by a company, and little competition from USA people. Science and technology always is a good bet. Most Western countries are woefully short in young people that go science & technology; it is predominantly Far East where they still do.

Which professional area do you want to be in? What background do you have?

Hoppie

An O-1 visa is for extraordinary ability. That's what my friends here are on, but it's hard to get. Other than that, you have to have a good skill, that will make the Americans want to give out visas. The hotel industry grants them also, for guest services, like if you work in guest sales in a Hilton, you can transfer etc.

Yeah I don't have any extraordinary ability (yet) or a bachelors/masters degree. Was thinking of just working in sales but I doubt companies will hire a foreigner who they have to pay to sponsor when they could hire a local.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by twofiveone View Post
    Yeah I don't have any extraordinary ability (yet) or a bachelors/masters degree. Was thinking of just working in sales but I doubt companies will hire a foreigner who they have to pay to sponsor when they could hire a local.
    You're correct, in addition to the cost, jobs like sales don't qualify for H or O visas. There are other visas that allow working. Take a look here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

If you are smart, and a good test taker you can apply to the US military select jobs are still in high demand but to qualify you would need to demolish the ASVAB (military entrance exam). For example the Navy's NUC program is hard to qualify for, and one of the requirements is being a US citizen. However I know a NUC who had the citizenship waived and they are in, are now Citizens of the US, and make a six figure salary a year. That is something to consider.

PS NUCs are Nuclear operators for Nuclear Submarine, or Aircraft Carriers, and require a 6 year minimum contract. Or 8 year (Active Duty) minimum if you are pushing for the Citizenship waiver.