Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By dylan
  • 2 Post By Adam from Vegas

Thread: Got a job in South Miami. Overwhelmed with housing options!

New User

Default Got a job in South Miami. Overwhelmed with housing options!

Hi everyone!

I just found this forum and have been reading it almost non-stop for the past day! It is exactly what I've been looking for!! The information I've learned from reading many the threads has both terrified me (thanks Matt ) and made me excited for my move next month. My biggest concern now is finding a good place to live before I start my new job in July.

Briefly, let me explain a little about me and my situation. I'm a 31 year old, single, white male. I just finished school in Las Vegas and have a job lined up in South Miami. I'm very worried about finding housing because the soonest I can make it to Miami is June 15th. I am also moving with no furniture. I've read in this forum that some rental places can take weeks to get into with the application process. Because of these factors, i'm thinking about finding something that is furnished and has a shorter lease (~4-8 months). I'm also convinced after reading this forum that i'll need a real estate agent if I want any chance of finding somewhere quickly when I arrive.

I ultimately want to find a townhouse or house with a fenced backyard for my dog since i'll be living in Miami for at least 4 years. But I don't want to rush finding the perfect house in the perfect area for me. Until then, maybe just find a short lease that's furnished, allows small dogs, and is in a nice area. I still don't have a good grasp on the neighborhoods but it seems that Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove or SoBe may be a good option??

What do you guys think? Would it be difficult to find a furnished place with shorter lease that allows pets in one of those areas for around $1500/mo? I have found many listings online, but am beyond frustrated with how many are fake or no longer available. I feel lucky when I actually get a reply at all!

Am I completely crazy to think I could be moved into a place within a few days of arriving on the 15th if I start working with an agent now? I'm almost at the point of signing sight unseen, which I know is not a good idea.

Would the commute from SoBe to South Miami be ridiculous?

Sorry for so many questions! It's just a bit unnerving to drive across the whole country to a place you know little about and try to find a descent place to live. If I had more time or was able to fly out before to explore I would.

Anyways, thanks for reading and thanks for any suggestions!!
    Last edited by Adam from Vegas; 05-19-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: Got a job in South Miami. Overwhelmed with housing options!

Welcome to the forums..

1 reason you might be seeing so many fake listings is that $1500 isn't going to get you what you are looking for in those areas. You'd have to go way south to Cutler Bay or possibly homestead for a $1500 house with a yard. Or further North to Miami Lakes / Hialeah area. I rented a nice 2/2.5 townhome in Miami Lakes for $1500 but had a patio, no yard.

$1500 will get you a 1 bedroom (possibly a small 2) in Coconut Grove / Coral Gables / South Beach (most Sobe 2BRs are tiny with no yard/amenities so figure on $2k+). If you want a home with a yard near the beach, you'd have to go up to Surfside and plan on $2800-$3200/month or further west in North Bay Village for $2500-$3000. Otherwise, a South Beach house is $7000+ and a Mid Beach house is $4000+. I have a client that got lucky and rented a 4Br home in Mid Beach (45th & Pinetree area) that was a fixxer upper for $3000 but he put $2k in to it.

When I relocated from Orlando, I commuted from Sobe to Doral and my wife commuted from Sobe to Homestead.....
    why you might ask?? Because who the hell wants to live in Doral, Kendall, or Homestead??? When you move to Miami, you move here to be on or near the beach. That's why we pay higher gas prices, higher insurance premiums, etc. So we sacrificed the drive (30-40 mins to Doral, 40-50minutes to Homestead) so we could live in South Beach and enjoy what this city has to offer on our time away from work. We didn't want to get off work and go to Chilis every Friday night or Bike night at Hooters Doral and then go back home afterwards (there is nothing else in Doral besides the mall and golf course).

The Gables and Grove are nice and have their positives (outdoor dining places, shops, proximity to Metrorail) but again, a house is going to be over $2000/month. Most decent 2 Bedrooms in the nice part of the Grove or Coral Gables are $2k+ now.

Regarding sight un-seen, it is not frowned upon actually. I do about 1-2 of these a month for clients. People from Europe, North East, South America, etc. all want to live here and can't be here to drive around all week shopping for an apartment that they'll just move out of in a year anyways. Internet Research, photos, videos, recommendations and the client signs the paper work, wires a deposit, and brings the rest at walk through. When you get a good Realtor, you can rely on their judgment given a set of parameters. Sure there are lots of scammers and people who don't follow through, but if you want a good Realtor, where do you look for them?? Certainly not Craigslist (though 80% of my business comes from there). If you are worried about being scammed by a bad Realtor, then you just call the major companies in the area and ask to be put in touch with one (Keyes, Keller Williams, ReMax, etc.) These national companies aren't going to hire scammers (or at least they shouldn't be, but as we say here, it's Miami).

Regarding furnished, that will be a big challenge. 90% of furnished places don't allow dogs..and the ones that do jack up the rental price, especially for a short lease. If you need a furnished place that allows dogs for 4-6 months, expect to pay $2000/month just about anywhere in Miami / Miami Beach. Thus, if you get something much cheaper, then you know its a deal not to pass up (unless its a scam, so do your research).

To your point about a Realtor, I can't stress this enough to everyone that comes here: Miami is not a place for the average person to relocate to and think they can do it on their own or for someone who wants to move and find it by themselves. There are too many scams, rip-offs, bad situations (foreclosed properties), etc. out there and you need someone to protect your interest.

Hope this helps you in your search and you end up finding a great place for you and your dog. Remember, you are going to need 1st/Last/Security (3 full months) + application fee and dog deposits-fees....so $1500 place should budget $5,000+.
    Jess and Adam from Vegas like this.

I always strognyl adivse against a commute here that is that long. I've done SoBe to UM and it's ok if you only have to go 2-3 times a week. Having to deal with US-1 every day, both directions, for that long will ruin your experience here. And there's no "reverse commute" on US-1 anymore. It pretty much only sucks a LITTLE worse going the directions you wanna go. Plus you'll hit nastiness on 95 when you change over, PLUS all the assorted beach traffic. Seriously I advise only living in South Beach if you work like East of 95 or close to it.

SoBespace's guidelines are right on though. I think Coconut Grove is your best bet.
    Adam from Vegas likes this.

New User

Thank you so much for the replies! I should clarify. I'm not looking for a house with a yard right now. There is a 1 bedroom condo at Valencia in South Miami listed at $1500 that is exactly what I'm looking for. MLS is A1757144. I don't know much about that area but have read its in or next to a sketchy area.

Anyone know about Valencia or that part of South Miami? It might be perfect for me since its across the street from the hospital ill be working at.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!!

That isn't considered a bad area by Miami terms.

North Miami, Little Haiti, parts of North Miami Beach, parts of Hialeah, North of US-1 Coconut Grove, 'Design District/Upper East Side' would be considered sketchy areas.

That is right between UM and Dadeland. Its also walking distance to the Metrorail which will take you to Downtown/Brickell as well as the Dadeland Mall and now the Miami Airport.

The unit has been on the market since March, are you sure its still available? It has a lot of photos and looks like the patio faces the pool. With it being across from your job, I highly recommend it.
    Whenever someone relocates anywhere, its best to move to where it makes your life the easiest (i.e. walking distance to your job). That way you aren't miserable each day and can spend your free time exploring the new area rather than cursing it through traffic jams like Matt said.

Send me a Private Message if you want me to contact this agent for you and get the details. I could go take a video of the building/unit as well if you need to so you feel more comfortable with your decision.

Yea I think that is a fine area, and if you are comfortable with the price I say jump into it. You can always take your time finding your dream home with a yard later on.

New User

Sobespace, I sent you a PM, thank you!

Question for everyone. Is Kendall an okay area to live in? From what I've read in other threads, it has bad traffic and little nightlife. Any other cons to living there?

Here's a listing for a rental in Snapper Village which is about 5 miles from South Miami. Anyone know how a 5 mile commute on Sunset Dr. would be? Google says 15 min.

Also, you think this listing is legit? I searched the address and the unit appears to be for sale. Seems like a pretty big red flag.

MLS ID is A1787637.

Many rentals on the market are also for sale. The owners do that to test the market and have a back up plan in case it doesn't sell. Or they want you to cooperate with showings.

I like that listing better, but its further than the other unit and isn't an amenity community. But its much larger with a way nicer bathroom!

They want you to pay $39 for the background and credit check as well as provide paystubs/bank-statements to prove income (which is standard in Miami).

Kendall isn't bad, just like you said - no nightlife, lots of traffic and its very suburban. Plus you aren't walking distance to the Metrorail anymore.

KENDALL. SUCKS.

I could write a book on the cons. Yeah, shitty traffic. Chain everything. Trashy people. Teenage hoodlums stealing your stuff (happened to my friend at Snapper Village). No diversity at all as it's pretty exclusively hispanic there. Trashy people. No character. Like Orlando without the good parts (exactly.). Kendall is, in short, the worst of everything.

I lived at Snapper Village. Very nice community but in the AM that drive down Sunset is BRUTAL. 15 minutes is about how long it will take you just to sit in the traffic at the light at Galloway Road.

Under not conditions should you ever, EVER move to Kendall. Add on top of that if you ever wanna go to the Beach or downtown, it's 45 minutes to an hour. If you wanna live that far, move north. It absolutely is the worst. DON'T DO IT!!!

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    KENDALL. SUCKS.
    Under not conditions should you ever, EVER move to Kendall. Add on top of that if you ever wanna go to the Beach or downtown, it's 45 minutes to an hour. If you wanna live that far, move north. It absolutely is the worst. DON'T DO IT!!!
    Unless, of course, your work makes Kendall or any other area South of South Miami the best option. If you don't need to take any expressway North, and can avoid the arteries flowing into the expressways in the morning and the other way in the evening, it's okay. It's 30-45 minutes from nightlife and beach etc. but when working you don't do any of that except in weekends and that only three times per year. I'd rather go Bahia Honda anyway.

The other things -- all true. Chain everything, absolutely. But isn't this the case for 90% of all of the States? With as possible exceptions some inner cities and many 'colourful' areas where small shops can still thrive in some way? Are Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay, Cutler etc. so much better than Kendall?

Now, if you selected Miami because of Miami, then Kendall sucks, period. That Miami is a very, very small area really.

Hoppie

New User

Matt, how long did you live at Snapper Village? Besides being in Kendall, how did you like it? How long do you think the commute would be to South Miami? It's 5 miles, all on Sunset.

I'm looking at Coconut Grove too. Where are the bad areas in the grove?

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Adam from Vegas View Post
    I'm looking at Coconut Grove too. Where are the bad areas in the grove?
    Check this map for neighborhood quality in the grove and the rest of Miami-Dade:

http://tinyurl.com/cpfbb2b

(credit: not my map, put together by JacobMax and others at city-data)

I lived there for about 6 months. Aside from being in Kendall, it was great. But that's kinda like saying aside from it being cold, Alaska is awesome.

If you're going during rush hour in the AM you're looking at half an hour to 40 minutes getting down Sunset. At a normal time it's like 10-15, so if you work off hours it'll be fine.

New User

I ended up getting a place in Coconut Grove. Thank you to Marc/Sobespace for helping me find a great place sight-unseen. I love the area and couldn't be happier.

Matt, I got a chance to drive through Kendall. All I can say is.. Thank you.

So glad you found a good place through this website! Congratulations and welcome to Miami.

I ended up getting a place in Coconut Grove. Thank you to Marc/Sobespace for helping me find a great place sight-unseen. I love the area and couldn't be happier.

So glad you are enjoying the place!

I had a buyer today that was really trying to get in to the 2 bedroom unit there all weekend but they wouldn't cooperate..i was going to ask you to go knock on their door :-) Seems like a great building for young professionals.
    They ended up doing an offer on a townhome near by..

Enjoy your new life in the grove! :-)

Literally laughed out loud at that one.

YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!