we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Relocating from NYC to Miami

New User

Default Relocating from NYC to Miami

Hi all, This is my first post and I am desperately in need of help. I am relocating to Miami because of a fantastic job opp. I am most likely starting on July 15 and looking for a good place to live. Would like to keep my rent between 800 and 1300, would go up to 1500 for an incredible apt. Anyway where would you suggest - I am thinking Brickell or Coral Gables. The office is in Downtown Miami and I am bringing my car so I don't mind a short drive (I heard traffic is a nightmare at times)

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Relocating from NYC to Miami

Yo, welcome to Miami.

I believe I hear a few incompatible requests in your posting. "Good place to live" and "800-1300" seems not to go together, and combined with "Brickell" and "Coral Gables" it becomes really a Problem. Then, "Downtown Miami" and "car", which also is a Problem. However there is that Metrorail+Metromover thing that goes from Coral Gables via Brickell to Downtown, and likely will solve the issue.

Interesting request, this. I look forward to what the rest of the crew thinks. Is 1500 really your absolute last offer?

Hoppie

At your budget I think a 1 BR is probably only going to be an option in an older building in South or mid-Beach, Coconut Grove or Little Havana. The Gables you can prob find something near downtown Gables that's, again older, but the drive to work is gonna be a bitch.

Your best bet I think is to look in South Beach. Again, you're not gonna find anything amazing, but it's a fun area and you can a small 1 BR in an older building and the commute won't be bad.

Brickell would probably be ideal, or maybe somewhere downtown. But you're not finding much in that range in those areas.

Brickell is Miami's most expensive area for apartments (not including the islands with the mansions). I doubt your budget will work there, so have a think about South Beach or Midtown. Does your new job have parking? If so, South Beach would work, as residential parking is less than $50 for the year, and you could drive to work.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCExecMiami View Post
    Hi all, This is my first post and I am desperately in need of help. I am relocating to Miami because of a fantastic job opp. I am most likely starting on July 15 and looking for a good place to live. Would like to keep my rent between 800 and 1300, would go up to 1500 for an incredible apt. Anyway where would you suggest - I am thinking Brickell or Coral Gables. The office is in Downtown Miami and I am bringing my car so I don't mind a short drive (I heard traffic is a nightmare at times)
    Welcome..

I'm currently helping another person from this forum find a 1 bedroom in Coconut Grove / Coral Gables. There are some lofts in the grove for $1500-$1600 and some updated apartments in older buildings in the grove for $1400-$1500. Not much in the gables in that price.

$800-$1200 forget about it..have to go south to Dadeland for $1200 for an older 1 Bedroom or to North Beach like Matt said for a 1 bedroom. (North Beach is 71st & Collins area, not North Miami Beach which is over the bridge).

South beach will get you a decent 1 bedroom for $1400-$1500 as well. I live in Sobe and highly recommend it and its a short drive over the bridge to your job.

Unfortunately nothing 'Spectacular' for $1500 in any of these areas sadly. The market here is just too expensive.
    You can get a 1 bedroom at 101 E Flagler at the Flagler First building (Gym but no pool or doorman) in downtown for around $1400-$1500. And possibly a loft at the Loft II building in downtown (rooftop pool ,doorman, gym) for around $1400-$1500. Keep in mind that lofts dont' have walls, they have exposed concrete floors, piping above, etc.

Hope this helps!!

Damn. Sobespace, what about the nicer buildings in Little Havana?

There are nice buildings in Little Havana? :-)

I saw a 2/2 loft at Havana Lofts for $1600..so if they have 1 bedrooms, I'm assuming it would be $1200-$1300.

I know you recommend that area a lot to people but anything in and around the Marlins stadium, I wouldn't place anyone. If they were familiar with Miami and chose that area, then that's fine.

Yeah, I mean once you're home you're home. And there are some nice buildings over there. If you know the area, you don't even think about it. But I see how one might be hesitant to place a new resident there. That said, maybe it would scare them away. A definite plus.

When I think of Little havana, I think of the side nearer downtown and Brickell, not the marlins... which, quite frankly, is a no go area unless you're just off the boat from Cuba.

I highly recommend the bay side of SOBE. I love being able to walk or bike everywhere, especially the beach. Convenient to everything you'd need, great restaurants, tons of markets, and you can walk to Lincoln. It's far enough away from the beach that you don't get the tourist traffic or the tourist trap businesses, but close enough that you can go there as often as you want. Get a Deco bike membership and you can go anywhere on the beach, they've got docking stations everywhere. They've also been developing Sunset Harbor and have added a ton of new retail space, and most of the businesses there have that cool, NYC feel to them, so you'll probably feel at home there. You can find something decent there in the higher end of your price range for sure.

Who wants a "cool NYC feel?"
    Jess, Marc Middleton and GandJ like this.

Sunset Harbor is looking awesome! My new favorite area of SoBe

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Sunset Harbor is looking awesome! My new favorite area of SoBe
    I know, its almost built up finally...area has been a mess for so long now. Pubbelly people brought some good attention to the area and the recent housing boom is bringing more condos where Mark's cleaner's use to be. Not to mention the opening of the Fresh Market.

The real catalyst for the area was Tremont getting their new tow yard on Bay Rd after the road work was done..Its so nice there and the yellow trucks are just beautiful. I'm so thankful that J. Lo produced that TV show about the good side of Towing :-)

(Obvious sarcasm)
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

All great cities are judged by their tow lots.

New User

I've been looking to buy a condo for a vacation rental and family vacations for our family. What are some areas/buildings in Miami that would be a great investment? We have been considering Coconut Grove? Sounds like we would be able to rent out for a decent price?

The Grove is nice, but not particularly near the beach. It's a little more family-friendly I guess than midtown or Brickell. But if you have kids you probably want to be closer to the Beach, so there's more for them to do. I'd recommend looking south of 5th in South Beach so you have quick access to the sand, South Pointe Park and the like.

The Grove is great, just far from the beach.

Townhomes go for $350-$700k, condos in new buildings by Cocowalk go from $300k-$600k. Maintenance fees aren't that bad in the grove compared to the beach.

Either option will rent just fine as rents are insane anywhere in Miami.

I recommend something that has easy rental options as a lot of these buildings require 1 year leases and then you and your family would never get to use it. Even a 6 month lease is good and leaves it open for you, but really a 30 day lease term is ideal if you plan to use it all throughout the year.

The Akoya building is amazing in North Beach and has 30 day rental options. The Flamingo allows monthly rentals in South Beach and despite its party reputation, the new pools are amazing and people pay high prices ($2000+) for small furnished 1 bedroom rentals with balconies and $3000+ for 2 bedrooms. Maint fees are high though, about $1000/month for larger units.

There was a small 2/1 on Collins for $350k that had very high rankings on Homeaway that would be a good option. You can make $20k or so after expenses while still having a vacation rental for you and your family to use whenever as they allowed weekly rentals. That way you can make big amounts during high season events like Boat Show, New Years Even, Food&Wine, Ultra, etc. and then use it for yourself in the downtime.

Hope this helps! Contact me if you have questions or want me to send you something....
    rk likes this.