Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Change of plans: Hollywood instead of Miami?

Hello all, me and my fiance have been planning our move to Miami for about 6 months now and have been down about 3 times checking out areas, once we thought we were all set we found out about BSL, our furbaby is a pitbull and we were unaware of the law in Miami-Dade county

So upon finding this out we are now considering Hollywood, since it is broward county and our baby will be allowed there. Does anyone have any suggestions on this area? We are in our early 20's and our must have would be atleast a few places in walking distance. We like to party but not all the time and don't need to be in the center of it. We have never been to Hollywood, we always drove right past it. But a grocery store, and a few restaurants/cafe/bars nearby would be nice.

Also my job will be in the Port Of Miami, are we going to be regretting this move because of the commute? I won't be driving around rush hour so thats a plus. I am coming down this Monday for processing and supposedly to be signing our lease in Miami, but now it looks like we're starting from square one in Hollywood.

Any advice will be highly appreciated,
    Rachella

Default Re: Change of plans: Hollywood instead of Miami?

Yes, your commute won't be fun but what choice do you have? Not take the job, live in a scum building that will take the pitbull, or give it away..Otherwise, its off to Broward county like the old Marlins Pitcher did.

Even though Broward allows it, doesn't mean the condo buildings will. Usually in all of South Florida they will have a non-aggressive breed clause in the association application. There are a few great buildings right on Young Circle in Hollywood but I doubt they'll take the dog.

You are better off getting a home nearby on Adams/Monroe/Johnson etc. You should be able to get a 2 or 3 bedroom house for $1800-$2000 and not have the dog worry.

The drive will be about 40 minutes with minor traffic as long as you take the express lanes..Get a Sunpass before you get in those lanes!

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you need any assistance..

Default Re: Change of plans: Hollywood instead of Miami?

Yeah, absolutely make sure you take the Express Lanes for that commute or you'll be in Hell every day. Even not during rush hours (what are your hours, because the time of peak traffic can drag on) it can get sticky. I wouldn't recommend it at all, but it looks like you don't have a choice.

Hollywood is a fun, laid back beach town when you get out that way. I wouldn't say it's the best place for young people's excitement, but if you all like to chill at local bars, stroll the beach, and go to cute little downtown main street-type restaurants, it's great. If you want more of a young people's vibe, look at downtown Ft. Lauderdale or the area around Sailboat bend. You can get houses in there about the same price Marc said and have room for your dogs. And even though it's further north, the commute's almost the same because there's less street driving to do to get to I-95.