Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Moving from LA to MIA

New User

Default Moving from LA to MIA

Hi guys! Does anybodody have an experience of living in both cities LA and MIA
    I've been living here in LA for 9 months and I assume that my Hollywood dream is broke apart)
    Originally I'm from Russia so I have certain difficulties in language, please take this into consideration and make a discount)
    Here are things that forced me to move out LA:
    - Horrible traffic. If you commuting not at night or early morning you're doomed to creep at 5 mile per hour all the way long and distances from point A to point B are really huge.
    - People concentrated on themselves, don't oriented to get together and become friends.
    - Overpriced real estate. You can afford a regular 1 bd apart in descent area at least at $1600
    - Crime. I was robed twice during my short term stay
    - Ocean only for veiw. Cold water doesn't let you swim at any time of a year
    Actualy LA has a very few nice places to stay, the rest part of the city has a very poor landscape.
    I don't want to hurt Angelino's fellings, but that's what I noticed/ May be it's because of my higher expectations, but with all prosps of the city I found it not comfortable for living not to say raising children.
    I 've been 2 times in MIA as a tourist and overal impression of the city is possitive.
    I read "25 reasons not to come to MIA" or how it called/ But still I hope that with all its issues life in MIA would be better than in LA.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Moving from LA to MIA

Hi Max,

Sorry to hear that the West Coast Hollywood didn't work out for you.
    However the East Coast Hollywood isn't much better. Well, let's call it Miami.

Horrible traffic: check.
    People focused on themselves, or a very small circle: check.
    Overpriced real estate: check.
    Crime: check.
    Cold water: nope. More like 80F/27C today.

Everything, and I mean everything, hinges on you finding a job here that pays the bills. And that chance isn't good, at this moment.

Success, nonetheless.

Hoppie

Of all the reasons you stated, the only one I agreed with was our ocean temperature. On your other points, It's actually more positive in LA.

I also believe this city will break you quicker than LA. The nicer more popular places to live are restrictive due to available geography. Everyone wants to be East of the 95 which is relatively close to the coast. West of the 95 your landscape is Rialto.

Miami is a very fun city. When you visit as a tourist, you tend to only get one impression. The main question is if you can find a good scarce job here and if it will allow you to enjoy Miami.

That's just an opinion from a native Angelino who left LA after 42 years.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Not to sound negative, but Miami isn't much better. In fact, as Matt says, other than the ocean, you just described Miami.

I only say that so as not to give you an illusion that life is so much better here, cos it's not. Rent for a nice 1 BR on the beach is easily $1600. You can rent for cheaper, but it won't be in Miami Beach. And most newbies to town want to live in Miami Beach.

People here are rude and self centered. Not everyone, but the majority. You can also assume the crime rate is the same. People get robbed and mugged here all the time. Any place that attracts tourists with money attracts scum bags too.

Miami for a vacation is amazing. Living here is no vacation, it's general real life, and with that comes rain, problems and worries. If you don't mind living in an expensive city where nothing runs on time and nothing works properly, then you may be okay.

Another insight is you want to mind is LA at it's core is 40% Hispanic. Double that if you're in Miami. Not that I'm profiling you, I used to play plenty of tennis at Plummer Park which is now an area of on the eastern edge of West Hollywood and now a Russian enclave. I recall the animosity that neighborhood has against Hispanics. Again, I'm not saying that it's your case. but you can consider major parts of Miami more Latin America then North America.

We've recently have had many from LA come to this site seeking answers and advice about moving to Miami. There is no doubt there is an exodus from CA. Last I read, the trend is CA is experiencing a negative population growth. More people are moving out than coming in. It first started from the hippie crowd moving in droves to the Pacific NW. The later wave has to do with how unfriendly the state has become to business. Both CA & FL governments have made terrible decisions. Right now, FL is the state that has corrected itself and as had some growth at least.

In my case, I saw signs very early that the housing bubble was going to burst and before I crapped in my pants, I sold out and dummied down on the cheap.

So far, FL has been good to us but I'd rather be in LA - but I'm not complaining. I love the humidity - another issue all together for most.

I need my heat. I'm from out West.
    - Michael Franks

New User

Thank you for your responses! I tell you why I prefer Miami more than LA. I'll consider it as part time living, I'm going to spend summer in my native city Ekaterinburg - I have business there and housing. So my main income would be provided from there. Miami I see as a winter home and I believe that it fits much better for this purpose than LA. In Miami I would like to work on my further English improvement - find a job in a hotel bar ( I'm ready to start as a bar back, now I'm receiving a certificate in LA bar school) Moreover I would like to deal with hotel management and going to enroll MIU in a year when my state residency will be valid. And then I hope to find job in a nice hotel and this will help me in pursuing my dream - own hotel. Thats about it. I'm not believe in fairy tales about paradise on the Earth. Theres no perfect place of course if you not at vacations somewhere at Bora Bora or Fiji) All negative reviewer about Miami, I can tell you everything is relative. The place were I was born and raised has 7 months of cold days, and they are really cold with snow and iced roads. And people are much more aggressive and rude, we have the worst corrupted government that focused on their own enrichment without giving a s**t about country and its people. But I have my soul there - my relatives and my friends who make me happy. Have you ever been to Indian or African cities, in what conditions people live there? Common guys you're living in one of the best place in the world let's appreciate it!
    Last edited by Max2212; 07-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max2212 View Post
    Thank you for your responses! I tell you why I prefer Miami more than LA. I'll consider it as part time living, I'm going to spend summer in my native city Ekaterinburg - I have business there and housing. So my main income would be provided from there. Miami I see as a winter home and I believe that it fits much better for this purpose than LA. In Miami I would like to work on my further English improvement - find a job in a hotel bar ( I'm ready to start as a bar back, now I'm receiving a certificate in LA bar school) Moreover I would like to deal with hotel management and going to enroll MIU in a year when my state residency will be valid. And then I hope to find job in a nice hotel and this will help me in pursuing my dream - own hotel. Thats about it. I'm not believe in fairy tales about paradise on the Earth. Theres no perfect place of course if you not at vacations somewhere at Bora Bora or Fiji) All negative reviewer about Miami, I can tell you everything is relative. The place were I was born and raised has 7 months of cold days, and they are really cold with snow and iced roads. And people are much more aggressive and rude, we have the worst corrupted government that focused on their own enrichment without giving a s**t about country and its people. But I have my soul there - my relatives and my friends who make me happy. Have you ever been to Indian or African cities, in what conditions people live there? Common guys you're living in one of the best place in the world let's appreciate it!

I agree with everyone else, your problems with LA are the same here except the swimming temperature. I'm a 3 year resident and a successful real estate agent and I struggle every day.

Very flaky people, I schedule a volleyball game with 8 people on Friday and by Saturday atleast 4 will cancel on me in the morning. Its so aggravating!

Traffic sucks, Crime is a problem (people stole my trash from the dumpster as I put it inside) and Real estate is more expensive here than LA. A high rise 1 bedroom will be $1600-$2200 in a luxury building. We were going to rent a 1 bedroom with a den for $1900 at Marina blue on Biscayne but decided not to after dealing with the shady owner.

Parking sucks, the city lacks many little conveniences (no parking lots for your favorite places, terrible flooding, few drive through restaurants, etc.)

And 80% of the people speak Spanish and look down on you instead of apologizing for not speaking English.

Good Luck!

rk

Of course, if you compare Miami with cities in foreign countries, than Miami is better in most ways, but the list you gave us (reasons why you don't like LA) applies at Miami as well, probably more. Traffic, low-paying jobs, crime, unfriendly people etc. are more in Miami than most US cities. That is what everyone is replying to.

In the end, you have to decide what is important for you. Maybe you don't care about low paying jobs because you already have money, or you don't care about rude people because you can swim in the ocean, etc. What everyone is saying is, of the five criteria you listed, Miami is better in only one out of five. There may be other reasons to live ion Miami, only you can decide.
    Doug likes this.

Warning: Unlike these other folks, I've only lived here for a week, so this could be bad advice. But my experience so far is, if you are willing to make sacrifices, take risks, and deal with challenges without getting stressed out, it can be different from some of your LA experiences.

I found an apartment right on the ocean beach for $1200 a month with all utilities covered except electricity - but instead of a 1 bedroom, it's a furnished studio with a full kitchen (it's basically a hotel room with full kitchen I'm renting for a year). And there is no laundry in the building, you have to go a few blocks away to the nearest coin-op laundromat. And because I'm living in the center of the tourist district, most of what I need is in walking distance, so I don't have to drive long distances (in fact, I don't have my car yet - I'm liking local public transit). This isn't one of the big crime districts, I'd assume most criminals wandering the beach streets will be the touristy type - you know, pickpockets. Of course, being a tourist area, parking is going to be hell (I assume...I don't have my car yet, but there really isn't a lot of available parking around, and tons of competition for spots).

Of course, living where tourists stay means meeting people to become friends is gonna be even harder than LA, because so many people you meet won't live here.

New User

On the picture you look like pretty happy) I'm ready to join you at the volleyball contest) Put me on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwriter View Post
    Warning: Unlike these other folks, I've only lived here for a week, so this could be bad advice. But my experience so far is, if you are willing to make sacrifices, take risks, and deal with challenges without getting stressed out, it can be different from some of your LA experiences.

I found an apartment right on the ocean beach for $1200 a month with all utilities covered except electricity - but instead of a 1 bedroom, it's a furnished studio with a full kitchen (it's basically a hotel room with full kitchen I'm renting for a year). And there is no laundry in the building, you have to go a few blocks away to the nearest coin-op laundromat. And because I'm living in the center of the tourist district, most of what I need is in walking distance, so I don't have to drive long distances (in fact, I don't have my car yet - I'm liking local public transit). This isn't one of the big crime districts, I'd assume most criminals wandering the beach streets will be the touristy type - you know, pickpockets. Of course, being a tourist area, parking is going to be hell (I assume...I don't have my car yet, but there really isn't a lot of available parking around, and tons of competition for spots).

Of course, living where tourists stay means meeting people to become friends is gonna be even harder than LA, because so many people you meet won't live here.

So basically what he's saying is that for $1200 month you can live on noisy ocean drive with no laundry and no space and no where to park..Sound better than LA yet?

Miami, Specifically downtown or Miami Beach, is a great place to live if you have money, a flexible job, and a good group of friends. For loners who have to work a lot, you'll become miserable and end up dating your co-workers and being friends with co-workers and then when that job goes away, they'll be gone. Sorry to be a downer, but we see it every day with our clients as well as our personal experiences when we left the hospitality industry. People we thought were our friends and always wanted to hang out, play sports, etc. now never call back, do things with other people and basically moved on (for both of us). I joined the sports & social club so I can play volleyball with people but even them are really people I hang out with. Most of our 'going out people' are just clients that we clicked with and we are fortunate to meet new people on a daily basis and once in a while, they are really nice, friendly people like us.

I'm lucky as I have my wife and we do everything together so even when I'm bored, I have a beach partner, dinner date, movie date, shopping buddy, etc.

And yes, that is a happy photo. I love South Beach, the ocean, the beautiful people, the various things to do, the climate (terrible storms in Doral, clear skies in South Beach), accessibility to travel (Airports, cheap flights, cheap cruises), etc. I lived in Orlando for over 20 years and it was very boring and couldn't wait to leave. We lived in North Palm Beach for a bit and that was very nice, laid back, with intelligent people who spoke English....

New User

I saw prices on 1 bd in Hallandale, for example, they range from $1000 to 1300. For this price you could't even find a studio in Compton! In nice neighborhoods like Santa Monica or Westwood you can rent only a room in shared apartment for for this money.

I saw prices on 1 bd in Hallandale, for example, they range from $1000 to 1300. For this price you could't even find a studio in Compton! In nice neighborhoods like Santa Monica or Westwood you can rent only a room in shared apartment for for this money.

hahahaha !

I used to tell people back then, if they had a south central bungalow, the proceeds of the sale would get them a beautiful place/masion in Florida and maybe even Miami. This was in 02.

Hallandale isn't Miami, not even close. And Hallandale is different than Hallandale Beach.

For $1300 you can get a 3 bedroom in Homestead...but its not Miami..You can get a mansion in Kissimmee near Disney World for $1300-$1400.

Apples to Apples, LA and Miami aren't different for real estate. A luxury high rise will still be $1800-$2200 for 1 Bedroom and a small Art Deco apartment in South Beach with a washer dryer will be $1400-$1500..Is that cheap? Because places I've lived/have family in think those prices are insane (Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Naples). Even North Palm Beach / Juno Beach is cheaper and that has ocean like Sobe & beautiful people & boater's dream.

Miami has more modern developments and closer to the water's edge. That in itself has a premium value over LA. If the type of construction you have in SoBe was allowed near LA beaches, the prices would be astronomically higher than Miami.

The most comparable to SoBe as far as a condo scene is Marina Del Rey. In 01 my gf was paying $1600 for a 1BR in Mariners Village w/no water view.

In many cases, rent pays for it self if you live in a city that offers you advantages with good jobs and offerings from the city itself.

Name:  Lion King.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  77.5 KB

No back to your thought about landscape. From my favorite perch in the city: I have the coast to west, the valley behind me, snow caped madres east of me and the desert beyond. In Fl, you'll suffer a bout of agoraphobia. It took me two years to get over it.

Advantage:LA

I'll await Matt's response rebuking me.

In full disclosure, I have a condo on Brickell Key but spend most of my time at home in the sticks of Central Florida. That alone is hint a what I think of Miami living or I'm just an old dude who's earned his wilderness & golf after years of city life.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 07-21-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    Doug likes this.

Do you even have a work visa? I mean first thing's first, if you don't have one of those, you probably shouldn't move here.

I lived in Orange County, CA, and spent a lot of time in LA, and I've lived here a long time too. LA sucks, like out and out sucks. Far and away my least favorite place I've ever lived. The traffic here is bad, but avoidable. unlike in LA. People here are extremely self-absorbed, but unlike in LA don't care or judge you by your job, or that job's relative position in a certain industry. (In LA, you are where you work in entertainment. If you don't work in entertainment, you may as well not exist). People in Miami pretty much all think they're better than you, even if they live at home and work part time at Boost Mobile.

The weather here is warmer. And if you're a foreigner already you won't be nearly so infuriated by the lack of American culture.

But if you're moving here to work on your English, FORGET IT. Now, if you wanna work on your Spanish.....

I like it here better than LA. And, yeah, it beats the pants off Calcutta on Kinshasa. But when you set the bar that low...
    Doug likes this.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Do you even have a work visa? I mean first thing's first, if you don't have one of those, you probably shouldn't move here.

I lived in Orange County, CA, and spent a lot of time in LA, and I've lived here a long time too. LA sucks, like out and out sucks. Far and away my least favorite place I've ever lived. The traffic here is bad, but avoidable. unlike in LA. People here are extremely self-absorbed, but unlike in LA don't care or judge you by your job, or that job's relative position in a certain industry. (In LA, you are where you work in entertainment. If you don't work in entertainment, you may as well not exist). People in Miami pretty much all think they're better than you, even if they live at home and work part time at Boost Mobile.

The weather here is warmer. And if you're a foreigner already you won't be nearly so infuriated by the lack of American culture.

But if you're moving here to work on your English, FORGET IT. Now, if you wanna work on your Spanish.....

I like it here better than LA. And, yeah, it beats the pants off Calcutta on Kinshasa. But when you set the bar that low...

Yes I do have a work permit. And I have a business in travel industry in Russia and I would like to develop in that area.
    Do you mean that Spanish in Miami is much more spoken than in LA?

I can't speak for LA, but Spanish is the first language in Miami. Seriously.

Way more spoken. It's spoken here more than English. You will find it easier to be fluent in Spanish and not English and living here than the other way around.
    Jess likes this.

Do you mean that Spanish in Miami is much more spoken than in LA?
    End of this story .......
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast