Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Young professional moving to Miami from Chicago

Hello South Florida,

Well, my week turned out to be quite interesting as I was just offered a job in Miami. I will be moving next month (August 2013) down to Miami and I was hoping you all could help me locate an ideal apartment/roommate situation.

My job is located in Brickell and I would like to live there as well. I am a 26 year old, clean, respectful, easy going male and I would ideally like to find a roommate to move in with.

Can anyone suggest a good place to start looking for a roommate or apartment. Or, if you yourself are looking to save some cash and live in a fun and relaxed Brickell apartment, please feel free to reach out.

Cheers,
    John

Default Re: Young professional moving to Miami from Chicago

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forums and to Miami! We are glad you found us.

I'm not sure about roommates, but if you want to live alone, you should probably work through a realtor. Brickell prices are quite high, but it makes sense to live where you work.

What's your budget, there, Johnny? And what's your furniture situation? And how do you feel about wicker?

I might suggest coming down for a few days next week to look for apartments. Getting something sight unseen can be ESPECIALLY dicey in Miami. And doing it after you've moved makes you pick something you may not be happy with. And a miserable apartment can ruin your experience.

And dear God, have you read this....

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

My suggestion: look up the Metromover. It's an elevated light rail system that's free to ride, and includes a line that runs through Brickell. If you can get to a Metromover station, it's almost the same as living in Brickell, at least in terms of commute.

As for a good place to start looking, miami.craigslist.com, but as these guys said, maybe try working with a realtor. Unlike other cities, almost every ad for a rental is by a realtor, not the owner/property manager, so you might as well get one working for you.
    Last edited by Dreamwriter; 07-22-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwriter View Post
    My suggestion: look up the Metromover. It's an elevated light rail system that's free to ride, and includes a line that runs through Brickell. If you can get to a Metromover station, it's almost the same as living in Brickell, at least in terms of commute.

As for a good place to start looking, miami.craigslist.com, but as these guys said, maybe try working with a realtor. Unlike other cities, almost every ad for a rental is by a realtor, not the owner/property manager, so you might as well get one working for you.
    Plan on atleast $1400-$1500 + utilities, 1st/last/security, and application fees when moving into a place in Downtown. Brickell will be a bit more expensive. You can get an open loft at the Loft II building downtown for $1400-$1450 (includes cable/parking/water) but its about 680-700sq ft. It does have a washer dryer, small balcony, concrete floors, and updated kitchen/bath. Flagler First, which is a few blocks away, has some small 1 bedrooms (with walls) for $1300-$1450 and small 2 bedrooms for $1500-$1650. No pool but it does have a gym.

You can try for a studio at Venetia on 15th & Bayshore (not brickell, but the metro mover is right there and its easy access to South Beach). Full service building and a studio will be $1200 or so. 1 Bedrooms are $1550-$1750 depending on floor height and view. It is a full service building with parking, concierge, pool, gym, restaurant, etc.

For roommates, just go on the various roommate websites and you'll find something. Craigslist as well but I would do a roommates.com type site or even a sublet.com

Hope this helps!