Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do you love or hate living in Miami?

Default Re: Do you love or hate living in Miami?

Great post Barbie! The problem with Miami is the people. Plain and simple. I probably have another year left before I move to real America.
    laurab and Matt Meltzer like this.

Thats exactly it. Its the people in Miami that ruin it.

People and businesses are so rude here. Everyone has a hustle. You can't trust anyone and things run like crap. If someone says they will be there at 1pm they will be there at 5. No consideration for anyone else's time or or money.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

I know this is an old thread, but need to put my 2 cents in. I lived in Miami for 12 years and moving was the best thing I ever did in my life. People are super rude. It got to the point where I had trouble even leaving the house because of rude people and rude drivers. You need to have nerves of steel to live there, and since I am a very nice, ethical person, I couldn't handle it. People have absolutely no consideration for anyone else on the road, none at all. I lost count how many times people would approach me speaking Spanish and get physically pissed because I didn't speak it. I feel like I'm almost going through pdsd and I've been gone for a year now.
    Marc Middleton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Great post Barbie! The problem with Miami is the people. Plain and simple. I probably have another year left before I move to real America.
    ahemm...3 years later.....
    Matt Meltzer and jwisdom789 like this.

Yeah we've all said that at least once in the last three years.

I know! 2013! Damn though, I still feel that way. Where is nice to live but commutable to get here?

I know! 2013! Damn though, I still feel that way. Where is nice to live but commutable to get here?
    Miami Shores is great but pricey. ($400k-$550k average). Biscayne park is great (just north of Miami Shores) and a little bit cheaper.

The Roads & Shenandoah is great if you don't want a townhome in the Grove or can't afford a single family grove house.
    Ives Estates west of 95 off Ives Dairy is fine and in the $300k range.

North Bay Village would be great and its a Miami Beach zip code, but still in the $400k-$500k range, same with Surfside.

Let's face it, the median home price in Miami is $300k, not $215k like most of the country. For $215k, you'd be getting a decent home or a nice townhome in Pembroke Pines/Miramar areas which is a long commute to South Beach.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Downtown/Las Olas part of Fort Lauderdale will be when the Brightline train starts in June. It is scheduled to begin trial runs in December.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Downtown/Las Olas part of Fort Lauderdale will be when the Brightline train starts in June. It is scheduled to begin trial runs in December.
    That will be nice! I didn't realize the train was going to that stop by Broward & US-1/Las Olas. I thought they were using the Tri-Rail stations west of 95.

This location would be more convenient to those living on Las Olas/ Victoria Park

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    That will be nice! I didn't realize the train was going to that stop by Broward & US-1/Las Olas. I thought they were using the Tri-Rail stations west of 95.

This location would be more convenient to those living on Las Olas/ Victoria Park
    The Brightline will be on a different set of tracks than what the current Tri Rail runs on.

The train station (it is about 75% finished) will be at the corner of Broward and 3rd which is a block west of US1. You can walk to Las Olas from there. The Tri Rail station is two miles west of that.

Yes, very convenient for Victoria Park, Colee Hammock, Fat Village, Flagler Village, Himmarshee Village, Las Olas, and Rio Vista. Downtown Fort Lauderdale to downtown Miami will be 19 minutes.

Tri Rail will also use the line and have stops in Aventura, Wynwood, downtown, etc. Places where the Tri Rail now can't access.
    Last edited by FredTheCatTravels; 10-12-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post

Tri Rail will also use the line and have stops in Aventura, Wynwood, downtown, etc. Places where the Tri Rail now can't access.
    Yes, and that's important because the current stations are all West of 95 in not so nice areas and you don't want to walk from new Brightline in Ft. Lauderdale to the Tri-Rail station either. The North/South will be nice in Aventura!

This site is deicated to Miami Beach, a sliver of dredged sand concocted by a mad man from Indianopolis. Is that the Miaimi you and everyone here talks about, or the real Miami ?

Miami is 70% Hispanic and my sense many here have no clue or are still confused about Miami.

This site tends to brush off that reality to an extent. As for me, I cool beyond the beach but incompetence has no range in the 305. I go down there for five days and want out. Great five days, though.

As for me, it's no secret I avoid Miami Beach but I understand the allure for some.

Just remember, the site is called Miami Beach 411

Most people come for Miami Beach not the real Miami. Who wants a sunny vacation in Kendall? The suburbs? No one. Most want a cocktail on the beach, with Ocean Drive nearby.

Just remember, the site is called Miami Beach 411

Most people come for Miami Beach not the real Miami. Who wants a sunny vacate in Kendall? The suburbs? No one. Most want a cocktail on the beach, with Ocean Drive nearby.
    Just wanteed to clarify how the topic was posted and also make aware MB is no bubble.

True. We used to have a member on here that every time some one would ask where to stay in Miami or what to do, she'd always say do you mean Miami, or Miami Beach? Like ok they are two different cities in Dade county but most people don't know or care.

I actually don't really like Miami, but I like Miami Beach. Some it's the other way round.

That's a fair response, Jess.

It's not that I'm a Miami misanthrope, for me personally Key Biscayne is all I need. We all have our requirements and wantsand needs which are subjective. I do once in a while hit up South Pointe and grab a bite across the causeway. I also appreciate it's history. Aside that, prefer the mainland which is proabably the reason Anthony Bourdain scoffed the beach on his last treatment of Miami. It fascinated me

Sticking to the reason this website exists, I'm curious how the standard MB411 tour is divided between MB and the mainland. I think that a legit question and one I think we should all care about where that van/bus rolls. I've appreciated this site for some time now and like many here, I don't hold back. I'm just a dude when in Miami knows MB is 15 minutes away and can happily survive without it.

So to the question. I love it but can't sustain it to the point of living there year-round. Kudos for those that do.

Damn...19 minutes?? I will never drive to Broward for a media dinner again. So looking forward to that. And I bet it eliminates a miserable drive for a lot of people every day. Holy shit, something in South Florida that makes sense.

As for the other issue...Miami (the city) is becoming a big tourist destination too. 5-10 years ago there was no reason at all to come over onto this side of the causeway if you were a tourist. But now? Wynwood probably leads the way in terms of being a tourist destination, but I find people staying in Brickell and Coconut Grove all the time. And, quite frankly, the best new bar and restaurant concepts are almost ALL on this side of the water. The Beach priced everyone out, so it's rare anything cool that's new opens up over there now. Maybe some stuff north of 24th and that, and the odd restaurant in SoFi. But in terms of Miami nightlife and bars/restaurants now it's all about the city.

Still, yes, people come and want to see the beach. But it's not like Miami Beach is the only draw anymore.

Yeh perhaps I am living in the past. I have lived here coming up to 9 years now, and like you say, 9 years ago there was nothing over the bridge.

Nine years. Wow. I think your next pin comes at 15, if you're still here. Or, more accurately, if Miami Beach is still here.
    Jess likes this.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Hanging on. Passed the 5 year mark.

West Kendall ain't Miami, but it ain't Orlando, either. What is it? Worst of both? Neither the excitement nor the affordability?

I basically just hang on, that's it. My work takes up 99% of my energy and attention. I don't go anywhere, don't see anything, just crawl home and sleep. Vacations? Days off? Hah. I do like the sun, though. It ain't there when I leave in the morning, it's gone when I return in the evening, so at lunch time I do enjoy it for 20 minutes.

And yes, I am getting nervous about the cost of living. There's no way I will ever (ever) be able to afford a house here. Not that I particularly like to own property in South-Florida, but the whole topic simply does not appear on the radar. The health insurance mafia here is a bad joke (likely the whole country, anyway). And if Mr. T wins, I may simply pack up and leave. Or, be booted out. Bad hombre.

Hoppie
    Jess likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast