Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Move to Miami - Looking for a family neighborhood

Hi All,

I've been having talks with a business in Miami and am considering this opportunity as a potential move. Since I'm from up north, I know this will be a big change for me and my family.

The business is located in the Kendall area. Can anyone suggest some areas near there where we could look at for housing? I'm just not familiar enough with the neighborhoods to do this. We have a couple of kids and are looking for a “nice” family neighborhood. I don't want to do a long commute.

Thanks!

Greg

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Greg, thanks for posting. Yes, moving to Miami will be a big change for you and your family. I moved here when I was 13 years old, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. My family moved from San Diego, CA to Kendall, FL in 1981. It lasted 6 months. The new film "Cocaine Cowboys" explains some of the reasons why we left... but I digress.

As far as family-friendly neighborhoods in Miami, Kendall is a nice place. What I like about Kendall is: many of the homes have larger lots. Kendall also has some lush, tree-lined streets. You don't see tall tree-lined streets so much in Miami.

Keep in mind, some areas of Kendall are not so nice. Kendall is also considered to be located way in the suburds. Most of the families that live in Kendall are Latin, and for the most part, established, having lived through the "Cocaine Cowbous" days.

Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Morningside, and Miami Shores have nice homes too.

How old are your kids?
    Will they attend public or private school?
    What city are you moving from?
    How much would you like to spend on a home?

I agree with Gus. It is important to know what price range Greg is working with to see if he could consider an area like Pinecrest or south of Baptist. I helped my doctor find his home in the Baptist area. We did a lot of research and found it to be great for a family. Pincrest is great too. Great schools in Pinecrest.

New User

If your business is in the Kendall area then it is safe to say that you can live near by. We relocated a year ago and have been renting in the Kendall area. The schools are good in this area. Someone mentioned pinecrest and Palmetto Bay which are on the east side of US one but they are very expensive. The only thing with being in Kendall particularly around Kendall drive area is the Traffic !! Bad traffic very busy and will only get worse with the condos going up around Dadeland. The further west you will get a better deal on a house. Good luck

New User

I enjoy the South Miami & High Pines area. It's really beautiful and still conveniently located. Miami Shores is nice as well.