Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess

Thread: Recently moved to Miami, looking for a server job.

New User

Default Recently moved to Miami, looking for a server job.

Hi Guys,

My name is Demi and I moved to Miami about two months ago for school. I have been currently looking for a restaurant serving job and can't seem to snag an interview. I have over three years of experience in fine dining and fast paced restaurant environment and I believe I'm a good looking girl (even though I was quite shocked by how many job listings asked for my picture). I started excessively job hunting two weeks ago. Is it easier to get a job in a hotel or a restaurant? Does anyone have suggestions on how I get a job? I am currently looking for a job in Downtown Miami and South Beach.

Thank you,

Demi

Default Re: Recently moved to Miami, looking for a server job.

Hi Demi,

Unfortunately in Miami, it does matter how you look. It's not fair, but that's Miami. They are sizing you up as soon as you walk in with your resume. So definitely go out in full make up with your hair done to look for work. Go door to door, dressed professionally with 50 resumes and keep trying. If you like one place, go back. And go in the slow time, between meals. Your best bet is to keep trying, as people are so flaky here in Sobe, that you might get lucky and walk in just as someone is fired, and they need someone new.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Thank you, good advice! Where do you suggest I look? I'm not big into nightclubs but I will work at a bar. Honestly, I would like to work at a semi-casual restaurant.

The 50 Eggs people, who run Khong River House and Yardbird, were having a hiring fair last week. You may want to hit them up to see if you can still apply.

Past that, Jess is right, it's all about timing and who you know. Turnover in the service industry is lightning fast, so chances are somewhere you go just had someone no-call, no-show and needs a new person. Also, if you are dependable in thsi city it goes a LOOOOONG way. I talk to restaurant and bar owners every day and the #1 complaint they have is flaky, undependable staff. So if you can stress to them that you show up, on time, every day, the rest will take care of itself.

Are you American?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
    Thank you, good advice! Where do you suggest I look? I'm not big into nightclubs but I will work at a bar. Honestly, I would like to work at a semi-casual restaurant.
    Try HCareers.com as well for submitting resumes. Everything is done online now for the major hotels and decent restaurants (Sushi Ra, Ale House, etc.). Only the small chains do walk in interviews/applications like Burger n Beer Joint (casual place with tatoo'ed people serving great food in Jeans), Doraku sushi on Lincoln Rd (always busy, they wear all black outfits), etc.

Micheal's Genuine is ramping up for season and the servers there are very loyal, but are always looking.

Ask for the GM, Shannon, and tell her Marc Middleton (the handsome gentleman she interviewed for a management position recently) said her restaurant is always looking for dependable, qualified help for lunch & dinner :-) Don't know if it'll work, but its worth a shot to get in with a good company. They are in Design District and very highly rated.

The high end places like Barton G, Prime 112, Joe's, Nobu, etc. you have to know someone or have a ton of verified experience. Visit Fontainebleu's website and apply for what they have. If you get Scarpetta you are set for life as far as a restuarant job but its not casual, very fine dining and 10+ year servers make $100k+/year. But they do well at Gotham Steak and Hakkasan as well.

Good luck!

New User

Hi Matt!

Yes I am American and I relocated here from West Palm Beach. Miami is full of Spanish people so being bilingual is a plus. I am learning Spanish but I am nowhere near fluent. I am also an African American so sometimes I think that holds me back from FOH positions. (Honestly there where only three black FOH staff at the last restaurant where I worked, out of over 30 FOH staff lol) we joked about it all the time. I worked at a semi-causal restaurant before relocating and my mangers were pretty fond of me because of my "smile and work ethnic" direct quote. I never showed up late nor did I call out. Honestly whenever someone called out or didn't show I want being called in. My managers knew I wouldn't say no because I'll be letting down the team and my friends. It's nothing worse then a busy understaffed restaurant but overtime was my best friend. I'm looking for places in downtown Miami and South beach hopefully I can come across one by the end of the year.

Thank you!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Try HCareers.com as well for submitting resumes. Everything is done online now for the major hotels and decent restaurants (Sushi Ra, Ale House, etc.). Only the small chains do walk in interviews/applications like Burger n Beer Joint (casual place with tatoo'ed people serving great food in Jeans), Doraku sushi on Lincoln Rd (always busy, they wear all black outfits), etc.

Micheal's Genuine is ramping up for season and the servers there are very loyal, but are always looking.

Ask for the GM, Shannon, and tell her Marc Middleton (the handsome gentleman she interviewed for a management position recently) said her restaurant is always looking for dependable, qualified help for lunch & dinner :-) Don't know if it'll work, but its worth a shot to get in with a good company. They are in Design District and very highly rated.

The high end places like Barton G, Prime 112, Joe's, Nobu, etc. you have to know someone or have a ton of verified experience. Visit Fontainebleu's website and apply for what they have. If you get Scarpetta you are set for life as far as a restuarant job but its not casual, very fine dining and 10+ year servers make $100k+/year. But they do well at Gotham Steak and Hakkasan as well.

Good luck!
    Hi Marc!

Thank you for the advice and the inside hookup, you're funny and really nice. I will defiantly go to Micheal's Genuine, check it out and tell you if I have any luck.

Have a great one!
    Last edited by Lovel; 10-29-2013 at 08:31 PM.

If you're actually that dependable you'll do well. Miami can be a pretty racist place (ok, hands down THE most racist place I've ever been in the US) BUT I don't know how much that affects hiring in the service industry. God help you if you get a Cuban manager interviewing you, but otherwise I think your dependability and work ethic should win out.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.