Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: 18yr old male looking to move to Brickell area..

New User

Default 18yr old male looking to move to Brickell area..

I'm an 18 year old coming from Arkansas. I've never been really rich, but I've wanted to start over. I've ALWAYS been a city boy at heart. I have those big city dreams, but NYC/Cali is out of my reach at my age. I was looking into Brickell in Miami.

I'm planning on getting a 2br/2ba in a sky rise in Brickell. I looked it up, and the average was 2200 a month. So that's what I'll use. Plus expenses, I'll say 2500. More or less.

So, I'm planning on 3 roomates. Each one has said they will get a job, or try their hardest, and save up some money beforehand so that we can stay there for a while to get a job. We all have been sending in applications and contacting apartments way beforehand. (1 for each room, my gf and i will share a room, one on a couch bed we have)

I'll say around $8 will be the pay for each of us, assuming we all get a full time job.
    I'd say 1000 per person, expenses rounded out. x 4 = $4000/mnth, give or take a few hundred.
    Is that enough to live in brickell? I do realize life will be minimum. Im not looking for everything, just to get out of Arkansas. Out of the money we save up before the move, some will go into emergency. You never know.

I do have a few questions:
    1. Will 4,000 a month (split between 4 loyal roomates) be enough to live in brickell?

2. Is the whole spanish thing as bad as portrayed?

3. Does brickell have a good walking area, where you can walk to stores/parks/just around and sightsee?

4. I want a medium at least apartment. I do want a good view though. Maybe if we can go under 2500/m, would be nice. As long as it has a view of either the city or the bay. Def. a high-rise. I was looking at the Yacht and infinity. But is there any others that are good with good views and have a good walking distance to stores/night life?

5. Do you PERSONALLY think this will work?

Default Re: 18yr old male looking to move to Brickell area..

Brickell has a walkable area but I am surprised you'd leave Arkansas for Miami and not live in South Beach. The beach doesn't appeal as much? South Beach is also less expensive. Not by much, but I'd say that Brickell is one of the most expensive places to live.

if you have four loyal roommates then go for it. But you will need a lot of money saved as Miami landlords usually require three months rent upfront for first, last and security.

Wow. Ok the short answer is, no, absolutely not, this will not work. And here's why....

Jobs here are SCARCE, and we have a lot of people who live here already who can't find work. Further, out-of-town applications are typically ignored UNLESS you possess a special skill that people here don't have. Like, ya know, an education (this is the dumbest large city in America, it's been rated as such many times). But at 18, the only types of jobs you'll be able to find are probably in the service industry. And as guys that's going to be even harder, since you don't know anyone.

If you're planning to have 2 guys each in a 2 BR apartment, you MIGHT find something in Brickell in the $2500 range. But that's going to get uncomfortable and old real fast, and probably end with one or more of you moving home. With job odds that long, the chances of all four of you being able to stick it out are not good.

You don't NEED to know Spanish. But it helps. There are few Americans here, especially in Brickell. Where it's mostly arrogant, wealthy South Americans who typically turn their noses up at anyone from the US (or anywhere else, really) even when they DO have money. If you don't have money, you'll find it very hard to make friends in Brickell. I always say it's probably the worst part of the city to move to if you're new. I live there, but then again I've lived here 15 years.

Rent should be budgeted as one-third of your income at MOST. You combined you all need to be making about 8K a month to even scrape by. But, remember, to do anything that makes living in Miami worth it, it takes money. I'm not saying even going out to clubs. I'm saying just getting lunch is $12. A beer is $6. God forbid you ever try and take a girl out on a date. That's $75 right there even at a chain restaurant.

What I'm saying is that even on the remote chance that 4 guys with no special skills find jobs here, those jobs won't pay enough to live in Brickell because even if you can cover rent you will have no money left for anything fun. At which point why even live here. My advice is to wait until you have a network of people here, can go to school here (probably your best bet) or somehow lined up a job that provides you with enough money to live.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I would shoot a little lower than Brickell. My god son did this at 18 but he and three other roomates lived in a one bedroom in South Beach and it worked out well for them. They divided the living room in half and a gay couple had the bedroom. Paying $300 a month each is a whole lot easier to deal with than $825 plus utilities.

I would also rethink living downtown.

4 people in a 1 BR apartment? That sounds like people here on Work Visas. Or here NOT on work visas.
    Marc Middleton likes this.

When I first met my boyfriend he shared a 400 square foot apt (opposite Teds, can you imagine), with 2 other guys. I mean, it wasn't great, but they just worked at different times and only paid $200 a month each. They would only go home to sleep really. So it is doable. They eventually moved to a 2 br in mid beach, and paid more obviously, but one still slept in the living room. It is an easy way to live cheaply in Miami.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    4 people in a 1 BR apartment? That sounds like people here on Work Visas. Or here NOT on work visas.
    Nah, they were just all 18-23. At one point they had five people living there. They didn't care, all they wanted to do was party and have fun.
    Jess likes this.

Man. Maybe I"m just too old for that shit.
    FredTheCatTravels likes this.

4 people living in a one bedroom? Might consider it lol. I have a friend who wants to move to the city too, do maybe a roomate and I. Also, are jobs really that hard to find? And if so, where exactly?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Jobs? What's that?

What industry are you looking to work in? There ARE jobs here, and yes they've VERY hard to get, especially if you're new in town and don't know anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    What industry are you looking to work in? There ARE jobs here, and yes they've VERY hard to get, especially if you're new in town and don't know anyone.
    Anything as long as it doesnt kill you. Waiter, admin, meaning inputting info no a computer, anything that pays at least 10 an hour. Im a 22 year old student.

Yeah you may be able to find some PT stuff in the service industry. It's always tough. But it is manageable.