Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Living in downtown or Coral Gables without a car?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Living in downtown or Coral Gables without a car?

Don't be fooled -- those places may provide you with "everything you need" during the week, but if you don't work and grocery-shop and sleep, you will be stranded. There is no practical public transport here that takes you to the places you want to go in a reasonable time at a reasonable time.

"In the city" = just 10 miles to travel.

You may be a citylover, but Miami just isn't that.

Hoppie
    suburb dweller -- by necessity
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Thanks for the reply.

I would just go to school in Dade College and go to work. I will look for a job that can be reached comfortably via walking, biking or public trans.

That's what I will be doing most of the time. Apart from that, obviously comfortable access to groceries and/or bodegas, library, I think I read the biggest and best one is in downtown so that's good and that's pretty much it.

I don't care for clubs at the moment. I might want to stroll around and go to parks, pretty much anything that is free. A might go to a bar every once in a while. Right now, I'm just focused in school, income and saving money. I'm thinking long term.

According to some people who supposedly live there, they've said for what I describe, living in little Havana, downtown, Brickell, the beach or the area of gables right next to the city will fulfill all that.

Maybe having a car would make getting around more comfortable or easy, although traffic is supposedly horrible, but that is just something I don't want. I have no problem taking 30 minutes-an hour to get to work and the same for going to school.

I live in Broward btw.

Miami isn't a whole lot better than, say, downtown Lauderdale in terms of walkability. Just bigger is all.

You MAY be able to do all that, but those areas you mentioned are expensive. Little Havana, as I've told you in other threads, isn't really "urban" per se, and not somewhere all your needs will be met. That's an area, you'll NEED a car, especially in the lower-rent areas. Past that, it's gonna be impossible to find anything in the other areas you mentioned. I can't stress enough THIS IS NOT A WALKABLE CITY. Nor does it have public transportation. What you save in car costs you'll triple in increased rent so it's going to end up being a net loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Miami isn't a whole lot better than, say, downtown Lauderdale in terms of walkability. Just bigger is all.

You MAY be able to do all that, but those areas you mentioned are expensive. Little Havana, as I've told you in other threads, isn't really "urban" per se, and not somewhere all your needs will be met. That's an area, you'll NEED a car, especially in the lower-rent areas. Past that, it's gonna be impossible to find anything in the other areas you mentioned. I can't stress enough THIS IS NOT A WALKABLE CITY. Nor does it have public transportation. What you save in car costs you'll triple in increased rent so it's going to end up being a net loss.
    Really? because i would have said miami has walkable areas, or at least a hell of a lot more walkable than downtown ftl considering downtown ftl is not walkable at all lol.

All i need is to get to dade college, work somewhere in the city or the beach, library, groceries/bodegas and jackson. Ive read one can walk in LH to some of those places, take a bus to some of them, take a bus to downtown and from there one has the mover and metro rail. So, is it possible or not? lol. I have no problems riding the bus 30 minutes to get to downtown.

Which campus at Miami Dade are you attending? It ALL depends on that!

I would attend any. Whichever is best for me to get to.

Not all campuses offer the same courses. You'll need to speak with the college and determine from there where to go. I know the campus in Miami Gardens is like being in prison and the one downtown is pretty nice. The campus out west in Doral is new but doesn't offer all the courses.

Well, for instance, if you attend the Kendall campus, you'd want to live in Kendall. Wolfson for downtown... etc etc. The campuses are REALLY far apart, and you'd need to know where you were attending before choosing a place to live.

Ooh great info. Thanks!

I wish it was easier. Owning a car is just way too expensive here, or at less in Florida. I see why the poverty is as high as it is and has increased in all three counties.

I'm also looking into Orlando because its suppose to be way cheaper than Miami. Plus, its not too far from Broward and I have friends who moved there too. Only thing is that public trans seems to be worse over there so I might need a car. But since things are cheaper maybe owning a car isn't serious business.

Ah...Orlando is like only half an hour closer to Broward than it is to here. You sure you're not thinking of Brevard?

Lol I meant the Miami area in general. It's only around 3-4 hours driving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12