Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Default Re: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Well, as I tell everyone, read this thing first...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

It's ALL true. And you might "like" Latin culture and women, but when it's all you've got and you're forced to live by those rules day in and day out and don't have a choice, well, it gets pretty frustrating. This isn't like a fun weeklong trip to South America where you bang some senoritas, eat some cheap steak, and go back to America. It's LIVING in South America. Literally. It just geographically happens to be in the United States.

You wanna find a Latin girl here that likes your middle class lifestyle? That's great, but the chances of her 20-years-younger ass bolting as soon as she's got that paperwork is, well, pretty good. I'm sure you're a nice, good looking guy who makes a good living and all. But dating foreigners here is highly inadvisable as the vast majority are in it for paperwork. I could write a series of books detailing the real-life cases I know. It's quite sad really. Why I will only date white girls.

That said, yeah, the traffic's not in LA's league. Marc pretty much hit the nail on the head. Avoid rush hour, don't go to the Beach on weekends or during major events and it's for the most part tolerable. Especially if you live east (Which it sounds like you plan to). Living west is when it gets brutal and intolerable.
    LIVING in South America is actually quite appealing to me. If I could find a good paying professional job in So.America I would love to give it a shot. And although I am white (non-Hispanic) I have lots of Latino friends in LA and routinely spend time at parties or clubs/bars where the vast majority is Latino. Living in Miami would have the exotic Latin flavor without the danger that goes with travel to Latin America. Granted with proper care one can be safe south of the border.

You say you only date white girls....to each their own. But plenty of Latinas in Miami (or the USA) already have paperwork. You just seem to have a strong dislike for Latin culture in general.

The studies I have seen show more long-term success for marriages between American men and foreign brides than purely domestic based ones. No doubt we can all point to the horror story of the nerd/loser who goes overseas and brings back a 9 or 10. That is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-06-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Matt's a special case. Even though Don Francisco advertised him as having a Cuban girlfriend and several latinas with benefits, he had to correct the record at the end ... "Classic White Dade."

Well, Matt and I might have different tastes in women but his espanol is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Miami Shores is a great single family neighborhood with good schools. A nice 2/2 in the 'real' miami shores area will run you about $500,000 now. The outlying areas (El Portal, West Shores) will run you about $350k.

Biscayne park is a nice little Enclave North of Miami Shores. Pricing is about the same.

Various Parts of Coral Gables can be $350k (little gables) to $600k+ for actual coral gables and a nice home (not a run down one that is sprinkled in these areas).

Coconut grove is similar, but most properties are Townhomes in this area. A decent one will be $350k but expect a nice 3/2 townhome with or without a garage to start at $400k in the Grove (South of US-1 in the good parts).

Surfside is a good community in the Northern part of Miami Beach. A+ schools and a real sense of community with nice tropical landscaping. $450k+ starts the homes there but really $550k to get something nice that doesn't require a lot of work.

For me, when I compare Cali to Miami, the fact that you can't swim in the ocean year round because its too cold is a factor I can't get over. Plus the taxes out there suck, everything is more expensive, but it is a more progressive state and we still have a lot of back-woods laws and politics thanks to our residents to the North & West in FL.
    All of the areas Marc mentioned are interesting. I'd even throw in Brickell if I wanted to stay in an urban high-rise.

I found this listing on Marc's website:
    35 Veragua Ave, Coral Gables, FL 33134
    2 bed/1 Bath, Single-family, 1,035 square feet
    Asking price: $409,900

http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1817220/

The listing says its priced to sell. Yeah, I know one bath, very small house. But really the bones of the house look decent and the interior looks quite nice. This is sticker shock in a good way.

Of course, I want to ask you locals about the location?
    -I see that it is in the very far northeastern corner of Coral Gables, so a small pocket of CG surrounded on three sides by city of Miami (i think). A google street view indicates the surrounding is nice (or at least decent)? The location is only about one mile north of the Miracle Mile section of Coral Gables. That has to be a plus.

-Any thoughts/comments on the northern part of Coral Gables?
    -Other than the small size and only one bath this looks like heaven to a guy from LA. If this was in a comparable area of LA it would easily go for $650,000 or so.
    -Are homes like this getting bid up in price before they sell?

Thanks for any insight.
    Marc Middleton likes this.

Ok, here is another listing a bit further south not too far from the Granada Golf course:

-500 Zamora Ave, Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Asking price: $449,000
    2 bedrooms/1 bathroom, 1,040 sq ft

http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1908409/

I assume a better location ?? as the house looks about the same or a bit worse. Still a bargain by Los Angeles standards.
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-06-2014 at 08:15 PM.

SC, in that price range you might also want to check out what's available in The Roads area. It's a nice old quiet neighborhood just a bit E of Brickell.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Ok, here is another listing a bit further south not too far from the Granada Golf course:

-500 Zamora Ave, Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Asking price: $449,000
    2 bedrooms/1 bathroom, 1,040 sq ft

http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1908409/

I assume a better location ?? as the house looks about the same or a bit worse. Still a bargain by Los Angeles standards.
    Glad you are doing your research!

Zamora Ave is a 'Tear down', not something you move in to and live for awhile. Its a large lot in a very nice area. But you are paying for the lot and you have to bear the expense of knocking the home down and clearing the land.

The Veragua is a MUCH nicer home and its CBS Construction (the other is wood frame, 1 reason its a tear down). Its a bit of a hike to Miracle Mile shops.

Do you have to have a single family with a yard? 400 Valencia Ave has a townhome for sale (3 story) for $315,000 for 2bed/2bath. I Sold a unit next door and we are currently doing a gut renovation. Another just sold for $315k in that complex as well.
    Only issue with this one is that its leased until March of next year (unless you agreed to pay the tenant to leave). But something like that would give you excellent walkability and low maintenance.

If a house is a must, this is a much better option as its closer to Miracle Mile, has a 2nd possible bathroom and is larger with a functioning garage: http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...ntial/A1916037

http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1911229/ - A few blocks North from the one above gives you much more space and a nice backyard.

It will just depend on how close you want to be to Miracle Mile. I wouldn't go North of SW 8th street for those prices ($400k+ for a 2/1).

Do you have to have a single family with a yard? 400 Valencia Ave has a townhome for sale (3 story) for $315,000 for 2bed/2bath. I Sold a unit next door and we are currently doing a gut renovation. Another just sold for $315k in that complex as well.
    Only issue with this one is that its leased until March of next year (unless you agreed to pay the tenant to leave). But something like that would give you excellent walkability and low maintenance.

If a house is a must, this is a much better option as its closer to Miracle Mile, has a 2nd possible bathroom and is larger with a functioning garage: http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...ntial/A1916037

http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1911229/ - A few blocks North from the one above gives you much more space and a nice backyard.

It will just depend on how close you want to be to Miracle Mile. I wouldn't go North of SW 8th street for those prices ($400k+ for a 2/1).
    Wow, thanks Marc. Both those houses look great! I notice the second (and larger) one has a Miami city address though it must be right on the edge of CG's. Is that a major drawback ? Better schools in Coral Gables than Miami I assume (no kids here but thinking of long-term resale value, etc)?

No a single-family home is not a must but if I were to find the right candidate that would be the first choice. Currently live in an urban, high-rise condo so I am not a stranger to that.

These prices really blow me away. Thanks again.

New User

There's only one way to find out if Miami and the women here is right for you .......

SoCal..... Has your Tica sold you on the idea of moving to Costa Rica ? Gave it a try in 94 and it still remains my escape hatch if this country starts to tank.

On that note, POTUSA is on campus tonight - ugh ! Plan accordingly.#FightOn.

won't tank unless we put another Bush in the White House....then I'll be seeking Brazilian citizenship.

The tica is a nice girl but I don't want anything serious with her. Don't get me wrong, I love Latin ladies but she is just not the one I want long-term.

Costa Rica, I hear it is nice but expensive these days. Medellin, Colombia is a city I'd like to live in. The only drawback is there is no beach close to Medellin.

Medellin is a nice city--lots of mountains....not a fan at all of Cartagena--beaches suck, lots of jiniteros on the beach trying to sell you stuff you don't want or need (human mosquitos), and Colombians don't understand tourism. Have not been to Barranquilla or Santa Marta but I hear they are nice. I liken Medellin to the Denver of Colombia (minus the snow...well, maybe a different type of snow).
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    The tica is a nice girl but I don't want anything serious with her. Don't get me wrong, I love Latin ladies but she is just not the one I want long-term.

Costa Rica, I hear it is nice but expensive these days. Medellin, Colombia is a city I'd like to live in. The only drawback is there is no beach close to Medellin.

It's expensive if you want to live near Mel Gibson's beach or any other. If you go the Marlon Brando route; he lived in my small town at that time (Paraiso de Cartago), it's cheap. A good 20 mi from San Jose.

Ya, Costa Rica was innovative 40 years ago offering retires nice tax free incentives. Today, everyone is doing it.

SoCal - this is a larger 2/2 home in central Coral Gables that was just listed:
    http://www.homepath.com/listing?listingid=38148373

$599k is the asking when you get in to this part of town and for this size. But its a Homepath foreclosure so you only need to put 5% down if you are an owner occupant and 10% down if you are investor/2nd home owner. Plus you can get extra money to rehab the loan all rolled in to 1 mortgage payment with no Mortgage Insurance and no Appraisal required.

SoCal - this is a larger 2/2 home in central Coral Gables that was just listed:
    http://www.homepath.com/listing?listingid=38148373

$599k is the asking when you get in to this part of town and for this size. But its a Homepath foreclosure so you only need to put 5% down if you are an owner occupant and 10% down if you are investor/2nd home owner. Plus you can get extra money to rehab the loan all rolled in to 1 mortgage payment with no Mortgage Insurance and no Appraisal required.
    Marc: Thank you for sharing the listing. Is the list price indicative of the market value? Or are homes trading for a bit less (or more) right now?

If I do make the move, I am probably looking to spend a bit less.

I was surprised this one (which you shared previously) was listed for only $425,000. Granted it is NOT in Coral Gables but a bit north in Miami. Is the area really that much less desirable? Schools, crime or both? Google street view makes it look about as nice as CG.

http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1911229/

I'd be fine with this one (which you also shared before) in Coral Gables (small house only one bath but potential to add a bath later).
    http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...ntial/A1916037

Last edited by SoCal; 05-12-2014 at 07:53 PM.

For your situation and the neighborhood you seek, that last one is a very good option. Good price, room to expand, in the center of the action but still away so its quiet.

I've seen some pretty unique homes in the Grove as well in that price range. I remember a year ago I had someone relocating who wanted a tranquil house with large outdoor space but not a lot of grass (crazy I know) and this was on the market and they passed on it! http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29...43857275_zpid/

It was crushed rocks all around the property with lots of trees, outdoor shower & Firepit, small pond, original clayfoot tub, and very open feeling. It wasn't a big house and I remember they listed it for sale at some outrageous price and it didn't sell.

But something like that could work for you as well. Easy living, low maintenance, trendy area, etc. Just not a property for an expanding family if that is your goal one day.

Thanks Marc, appreciate it. Yes, that location in the Grove looks nice.

Due to amorous reasons , I traveled frequently to Colombia years ago, discounting the many rendezvous in San Andres / Providencia.

My first trip was in 89. Days prior boarding my Avianca flight, Galan was murdered and all hell broke loose in that nation. On tap on that trips itinerary was taking my gf and her mother to Cartagena. We never made it. Days before our plans, a narco bomb exploded at the Cartagena Hilton in the middle of a Dr's convention. The scrapped plan had the three of us going to Bogota instead and subsequently her aunt's compound in the hills of Sopo. Gateway to Jaime Duque Park and the Salt Cathedral of Zapaquira.

It wasn't till years later I eventually got to Cartagena ... and I loved it. I suppose it's not appealing if you're not into the history of the Spanish Main or unread in Garcia Marquez.

Along the lines of Marquez: Santa Marta, Baranquilla, Cartagena. tatata a ferry to Parque Tayrona alone would have made a visit to that region worthwhile.

I regret I never visited Medellin. It wasn't the time, though most of my Colombian friends are paisas and I favor Antioqueno Aguardiente behind Blanco del Valle.

Kind of get SoCal's feel and this thing about transitioning to Latin America. Personally, it only makes sense if you wanted to smooth into Panama City, Panama. It's the closest mimic to Miami. In my experience, the four hour flight time you save is over rated. I don't get the fuss about four hours unless it's constant business travel.

Blackford: Wow, you were in Colombia in tumultuous times! Ahead of me by a good 20 years. Wish I had made the trip as early as 2000. I have to think the 80s or 90's would have been interesting but a little nerve wracking. Interesting.

I also love Cartagena. Great place for the history/architecture.

Yeah, I hear you on the "advantage" of shorter plane flights to So. America.

Thanks to all for the insight and advice! For a variety of reasons, I am now leaning toward staying in So.Calif. (leaning toward San Diego). Turns out I have more equity to play with than I thought. That gives me more housing/neighborhood options in SoCalif.

Miami is not off list...it remains a close second.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast