Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Default Re: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

After 27 days here I still see Miami as an exciting change from SoCal. The variety of neighborhoods, unlike San Diego it is an actual city, SoBe beach and a great ocean, international component, I've met many professional and successful people, and more. It started getting warmer this past weekend (even reaching 90) but it was comfortable-- though it did not reach the humidity levels I was told it will shortly.

Would be a noticeable improvement in lifestyle for me. Have not decided yet between Sunset Harbour, Belle Isle, or Brickell Key but it is only a question of when--not if-- I will move to Miami.

SoCal--here is 'vintage' San Diego (and I could add Orange County--not sure about LA since I never lived there)....I'm on another forum replying to a post where the poster asks where do most of the attorneys in San Diego live....ok, not the greatest question, but one of the locals replied most of the attorney's he knows keep it down low so it would be hard to know what your neighbor does for a living....huh?....if and when you meet a neighbor, isn't 'what do you do for a living' one of the first questions you ask that person?....this is but one prime example of why I am looking to relocate--not for the weather, but for the people....I have found the people in Miami to be a bit more open and less aloof as is the case in San Diego (which I have often described as the perfect witness protection city...you could be lying in the middle of the street and nobody would bother you or inquire if there is anything wrong...they would keep on wlaking past you). Others may disagree and/or maybe I have had my fill with SoCal after 30 years and a change will do me good.

San Diego consistently gets rated as best place in the country to live. There must be reason.

I like visiting, especially taking the train to Del Mar. Living there has never entered my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    After 27 days here I still see Miami as an exciting change from SoCal. The variety of neighborhoods, unlike San Diego it is an actual city, SoBe beach and a great ocean, international component, I've met many professional and successful people, and more. It started getting warmer this past weekend (even reaching 90) but it was comfortable-- though it did not reach the humidity levels I was told it will shortly.

Would be a noticeable improvement in lifestyle for me. Have not decided yet between Sunset Harbour, Belle Isle, or Brickell Key but it is only a question of when--not if-- I will move to Miami.
    Hey Elchevere: Thanks for giving me your impressions. I will say the very limited number "urban" districts in San Diego are one of the primary reasons I have doubts about it. But given I grew up in LA and have family in So. Calif. a move to SD would be pretty easy and I could always jump ship if i decided it was not for me.....

SoCal--here is 'vintage' San Diego (and I could add Orange County--not sure about LA since I never lived there)....I'm on another forum replying to a post where the poster asks where do most of the attorneys in San Diego live....ok, not the greatest question, but one of the locals replied most of the attorney's he knows keep it down low so it would be hard to know what your neighbor does for a living....huh?....if and when you meet a neighbor, isn't 'what do you do for a living' one of the first questions you ask that person?....this is but one prime example of why I am looking to relocate--not for the weather, but for the people....I have found the people in Miami to be a bit more open and less aloof as is the case in San Diego (which I have often described as the perfect witness protection city...you could be lying in the middle of the street and nobody would bother you or inquire if there is anything wrong...they would keep on wlaking past you). Others may disagree and/or maybe I have had my fill with SoCal after 30 years and a change will do me good.
    Funny thing, I think I know which forum you are talking about!

Well, 30 years on one place is long enough to give another place a shot. Three advantages San Diego has over Miami for me are: 1) lack of humidty; 2) geographic variety galore in So.Calif.; and 3) proximity to family and friends. And I LOVE Balboa Park...ok that is 4 reasons.

I did a stint on the east coast in my 20's (NYC and DC). Enjoyed it very much but never could digest the humidty. Of course, no sea breeze in DC to provide relief. Miami has appealed to me since I was a kid watching Flipper episodes. LOL. Well, I know Bud and Sandy lived down in the keys...but the tropical/sub-tropical flavor always had a sexy allure to it.

San Diego is a great place to visit and has a good, temperate climate and has a 'small town' feel with a non-challenging, be happy with your current status in life that borders a 3rd world country with a military presence...this does not meet my definition of sophistication nor is it a mind stimulating city by any stretch of the imagination, fewer job opportunities than its neighbors to the north (OC and LA), and has limitations....great place to retire, but if you seek a more vibrant culture and city that offers something more than a small town beach community (i.e. West Coast version of Delray Beach) then this place is not for you....it's a beach, t-shirt and shorts city much, much closer to Tampa Bay than Miami. Much more 'laid back'--which means too slow for me. I prefer the energy level of Miami...in fact, Miami reminds me of downtown LA and Santa Monica, except Brickell/Downtown Miami = downtown LA and Santa Monica = South Beach are much closer to one another here in Miami with getting from one section to the other much quicker and easier.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-28-2014 at 04:51 PM.

what you lose in geographic variety in Miami, you more than make up in 'travel variety'.....within a 3 hour plane ride from San Diego you can visit a grand total of 2 foreign countries (Mexico and Canada)....within the same 3 hour plane ride from Miami you can visit, what--25 different countries ? (heck, there's 24 countries that make up the Caribbean--so that number is probably closer to 27 or 28...throw in another 3-4 hours and that number probably reaches 35 or more different countries....from San Diego, with the additional 3-4 hours you will still be flying over water. Of course, you have SF, PDX, Seattle and Vegas--but Miami then has New Orleans, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, NYC, and Boston, among other cities.

I grew up in NY with humidity and that really doesn't bother me (good for my cigars and complexion)--what bothers me more are the insects it attracts, but you'll eventually adapt.

Now, here's my response, from another forum where people from San Diego think it's 'an East Coast thing' to have a curiosity as to what your neighbors do for a living:

"Yes, I am from Back east and it is not a status thing, it's a curiosity thing....based on that, I like to know who my neighbors are, what they do for a living, where they are from, what interests they have, etc...call me inquisitive (and I'm not an attorney). I find these basic things to know, especially when trying to form meaningful and in depth relationships as opposed to superficial ones....same thing occurred in Orange County (17 years) and Marin County (3 years) where my neighbors felt the same way...maybe this is a San Diego thing with people non-inquisitive and/or embarrassed, reluctant to tell others what they do and what they think which is why I have always felt in my 11+ years living here it is the perfect witness protection relocation city--nobody will bother you or ask about your past and/or I hope I never get hit by a car and lie in the street bleeding for fear nobody will bother to call an ambulance. What many call 'laid back', I call apathetic."
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-28-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Um, NOBODY in Miami asks what you do for a living. It's actually how you know the newcomers/tourists. They actually ask you that shit at social gatherings. And you could lie in the middle of the street here, and nobody would bother you either. So not at all sure where you're getting this is a place where people ask their neighbors "What do you do?" "Where are you from," maybe. But jobs aren't discussed. Hell, I wrote a whole article on it....

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/question-never-ask

And a "mentally stimulating city?" HA! Miami is a lot of things, mentally stimulating ain't one of them. Oh, it's interesting, alright. But it's actually the dumbest city in America and there's really not much for you if you're not into partying or the "scene." SOME arts are coming up, and we're getting some new museums. But San Diego and all of SoCal has us by light years in terms or cultural advancement, innovation, intellect and the like.

And if you're rich, being able to fly to 25 countries is great. IF you're not, it's much better to live near a variety of geographical options. Also, not everyone likes Latin America. Like me. Being close to that has never been much of a draw for me, in some ways it's actually a hindrance.

I dunno--I met many people at happy hour and what I consider non fancy restos (Sardinia, PB Steak, Barceloneta, Lucali, BBT) as well as other places (Macchialina, Reds, Meat Market, S&W) and often where do you live and what do you do frequently came up without pretense....now, at Starbucks I was not about to say I am a Corporate sales professional, what are you? Maybe I gravitate towards fellow Northeast professionals?...I even met nice 30-40 year old professional women who asked me what I did for a living. I suppose I also would not bring up the topic at a SLS Hyde pool party nor is networking a requirement of my job. I don't view such questions as, "my dick is bigger than yours."

What is your definition of rich in terms of net worth or annual income? From what people told me R/T to Cancun is around $150 or less, and Colombia and Costa Rica are around $250...seems perfect for a 4-5 day getaway or longer vacation. Granted, Cancun hotels are US prices but the other 2 places are cheap--at least to me. Nobody has confused me for Mitt Romney and the 1%.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-28-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Regarding rt flights to Latin America, I suggest you study that. Almost double

Six years ago I was taking advantage of Martin Air's $300 fare MCO - SJO. Because of some legal tangle, they weren't suppose to sell that flight as the flight originated in AMS. They were made to stop. It's now $500 plus and probably high $400's from MIA. South West is to be fliying there soon out of MCO and perhaps out of FFL.

Perhaps not intellectual, but alot of smart folks from Latin America in Miami. They have to be to have figured out making a living in two different sysytems. Very advantageous compared to just the homegrown.

As far as "stimulating", It's more intense from a bum sleeping in LA's Metro Red Line underground than Miami.

San Diego is a great place to visit and has a good, temperate climate and has a 'small town' feel with a non-challenging, be happy with your current status in life that borders a 3rd world country with a military presence...this does not meet my definition of sophistication nor is it a mind stimulating city by any stretch of the imagination, fewer job opportunities than its neighbors to the north (OC and LA), and has limitations....great place to retire, but if you seek a more vibrant culture and city that offers something more than a small town beach community (i.e. West Coast version of Delray Beach) then this place is not for you....it's a beach, t-shirt and shorts city much, much closer to Tampa Bay than Miami. Much more 'laid back'--which means too slow for me. I prefer the energy level of Miami...in fact, Miami reminds me of downtown LA and Santa Monica, except Brickell/Downtown Miami = downtown LA and Santa Monica = South Beach are much closer to one another here in Miami with getting from one section to the other much quicker and easier.
    I will grant you that San Diego is far less cosmopolitan than say Los Angeles or San Francisco. But I see zero similarity between San Diego and Tampa Bay. Both are on a natural bay and that is it.

Agree that S.D. does not have Miami's spice, energy and its increasingly vertical/urban downtown skyline. But I don't see Miami as a city with tons of career opportunities either. At least SD has the bio-tech field going strong.

Kudos to you for getting out to Miami for an extended stay.

I think at the end of the day, we all have to compromise on what we want/need. If it were up to me, I'd combine all of the following into one: the geography of Rio (or Los Angeles), the climate of Medellin, and the character/architecture of a Barcelona (or San Francisco). Of course, I could never afford a city like that as I am sure it would be highly desirable and insanely expensive!

As much as I love the tropical vibe of Miami, the 6 months of humidity would be a tough adjustment, though I might grow into it. I am also a sucker for a scenic view.....mountains against ocean, etc. I took a weekend trip to Santa Barbara & the Santa Barbara wine country a few months ago (by car, no plane necessary). Breathtaking and stunning as usual.
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-29-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Perhaps from my perspective and job that will still take me out West 3-4 times a year, the loss of geography would not be as dramatic as it would be for someone giving it up completely who does not travel for business as I do.

I would caution you that, like Miami, make sure you move to San Diego with a job. There is biotech, Qualcomm and defense contractors. Aside from those fields not much beyond service jobs ( wait, there is the craft beer industry). What little tech industry SD had outside of Qualcomm is slowly being successfully courted by Texas and relocating there.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-29-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Regarding plane tickets, Jet Blue & Spirit out of Ft. Lauderdale are the cheapest and you can get $250 flights to a lot of the countries you mentioned (with tax and jet blue has free bags). Not to mention cheap flights to D.C, NYC, ATL etc. on those air lines as well.

We also have an abundance of cruise options which is something that gets over looked. Sure you can't stay in 1 place for 4 days but we did a 10 day cruise over spring break on NCL and visited 5 countries for $369/per person plus tax! (includes all your food too).

We also have a fast ferry out of FTL (Baleria) that takes you to the Bahamas where they have more beautiful beaches than Sobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Regarding plane tickets, Jet Blue & Spirit out of Ft. Lauderdale are the cheapest and you can get $250 flights to a lot of the countries you mentioned (with tax and jet blue has free bags). Not to mention cheap flights to D.C, NYC, ATL etc. on those air lines as well.

We also have an abundance of cruise options which is something that gets over looked. Sure you can't stay in 1 place for 4 days but we did a 10 day cruise over spring break on NCL and visited 5 countries for $369/per person plus tax! (includes all your food too).

We also have a fast ferry out of FTL (Baleria) that takes you to the Bahamas where they have more beautiful beaches than Sobe.
    Marc, if you ever hear of such a fare to SJO.... please let me know ASAP.

I used to be on Spirit's alert list and they did/do have those fares at times. Anyone I know who's tried them has gotten stranded as they come with conditions like stand-by.

The cheapest from FL is San Juan. Those could be had South of $300 if you want to go there. I never had that itch.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-29-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Marc if you ever hear of such a fare to SJO.... please let me know ASAP.

I used to be on Spirit's alert list and they did/do have does fares at times. Anyone I know who's tried them has gotten stranded as they come with conditions like stand-by.

The cheapest from FL is San Juan. Those could be had South of $300 if you want to go there. I never had that itch.
    Yes, it was pretty common for flights in March when I was searching in February to SJO. We couldn't commit to a certain date and when it was time to book, It went to like $400 each with tax. But originally it was about $600 for the both of us with tax, non stop, on Jet Blue and Spirit.

I have a client who was going to get us a $69/per person per night all inclusive rate at any of the RIU hotels so we were going to do that for a few nights, then stay at the chocolate hotel in Tamarindo for like $40/night and somewhere near the Arenal Volcano. But then that $360 10 day cruise popped up and we couldn't pass it up (no flying, taxi to the port for $5 from downtown, all you can eat, etc.)

Spirit has really cheap flights to San Juan and the Carribbean and there is a great 7 night cruise out of San Juan that goes to 6 islands on Royal or Celebrity for like $400-$500 per person (Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, etc.)

Do you mean chocolate colored ? I don't hit CR's beaches since I moved to Florida, might be referring to the Tamarindo Dira which is their classic old school hotel. Maybe next time I'll hit Manuel Antobio now that they built a road over the Corillera cutting the drive time in half to two hours. My favorite Tico Beach.

I always hit the Arenal Volcano zone on every trip, though it stopped ebbing lava which was an amazing sight at night. It's all about Tabacon Hot Springs / Resort. My favorite place on Earth.

Perhaps from my perspective and job that will still take me out West 3-4 times a year, the loss of geography would not be as dramatic as it would be for someone giving it up completely who does not travel for business as I do.

I would caution you that, like Miami, make sure you move to San Diego with a job. There is biotech, Qualcomm and defense contractors. Aside from those fields not much beyond service jobs ( wait, there is the craft beer industry). What little tech industry SD had outside of Qualcomm is slowly being successfully courted by Texas and relocating there.
    Yes, no question I agree SD's economy is not very diverse. Luckily, my firm has an office in San Diego so this would be a transfer and not very difficult to pull off. There is also an office in Miami but might be harder for me to make the switch. I sure as heck won't live at the beach in SD. I don't like the fog and the "chilly" beach micro-climate. A little bit inland is better for me.

This is a great forum and I appreciate ALL the input.

I found these two older posts comparing Miami to San Diego. Both interesting.

First one from Doug. He leans toward San Diego but I thought he was pretty balanced/fair.
    http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/san-diego-to-miami

This one from Miamiburger who was 100% done with 10 plus years in San Diego. I'd love to hear what he thinks of So.Fla now that he's been there a while:
    Will I be happier living in Miami?

Thanks for posting....I tend to agree with Miamiburgers asessment of SD--almost to a tee....does he still participate on this forum?...would love to pick his brain.

Looks like his last post was in April 2014 with sporadic posts over the past 12 months. But looks/sounds like he is still in Miami.

Yeah, I might bring back his old SD thread back to life just to see if he'd give us an update.

Bottomline for me is :

San Diego - Can't swim in the ocean (So why go to the beach and pay huge amounts to live by it?)
    Miami Beach - can swim almost year round ( I know, chilly to me in Dec/Jan is warm to New Yorkers / New Jersey'ians and that's why its packed year round).

California - State income tax
    Florida - no state income tax

Everything else is a trade off/things you get use to...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast