Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Default Re: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Bottomline for me is :

San Diego - Can't swim in the ocean (So why go to the beach and pay huge amounts to live by it?)
    Miami Beach - can swim almost year round ( I know, chilly to me in Dec/Jan is warm to New Yorkers / New Jersey'ians and that's why its packed year round).

California - State income tax
    Florida - no state income tax

Everything else is a trade off/things you get use to...
    Never knew CA's beaches were cold till I hit the Tropics ( RIO's water temp is almost like SoCal beaches, at least in Oct) . Wet suits are foreign to me and swimming in a CA beach is a lot more fun than FL. I'm still waiting to see those waves they talk about at Cocoa... though the island near the naval base in JAX rolled me some knarly stuff one day.

Never knew they were cold? 50s and 60s in March/April is pretty cold without having to travel the world.

Water temp for June is 84 for Miami Beach and 69 in San Diego and 65 in Newport Beach...

Good luck with that! Get a nice tan while wearing a wet suit :-)

Ya, it was cold ... but that was our normal.

Didnt seem to matter. You see same or more number of folks ( w/o WS ) in the water in CA than you do in FL. I'm sure many here will vouch on that.

Name:  santa monica.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  13.8 KB

I'm actually spending less time in the water in FL. Usually resverved to making the water warmer after every few beers.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-29-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Bottomline for me is :

San Diego - Can't swim in the ocean (So why go to the beach and pay huge amounts to live by it?)
    Miami Beach - can swim almost year round ( I know, chilly to me in Dec/Jan is warm to New Yorkers / New Jersey'ians and that's why its packed year round).

California - State income tax
    Florida - no state income tax

Everything else is a trade off/things you get use to...
    No question, I'll take Miami's ocean temps all day long, very nice most of the year. Peak summers (mid-to-high 80's) can be like bathwater though. Winter is great for me. Honolulu's ocean temps are consistently perfect in my book: 76 (winter) to 80 (peak summer).

Echoing what Blackford already said: swimming in a warm lake (the Atlantic) does get boring, very much so. I suppose the waves/surf in So.Calif. help keep one's attention off the cold water. Summers are fine with no wetsuit, winters you could not pay me to go in without one.

Of course, San Diego (and So.Calif.) is more than just a beach adjacent to wetlands/swamps. You have a wide variety of outdoor activities/landscapes at your disposal. And the Mediterranean climate supports that almost year round. So.Fla's tenancious humidity is bad 6 months out of the year, so bad kids are stuck inside during summer break watching movies and playing video games.

San Diego: Lots of white people who speak English
    Miami: NO white people who speak English. Except Marc and Mrs. Marc. But other than that, the people ruin Miami. That's actually the #1 reason I hear from the mass exodus of Americans who leave this city. The people just flat out suck. And I tend to agree.

And you can't count Spirit airfares because when you add in their seat selection and carry on bag fees it's almost as much as everyone else. Their fares are for suckers who don't get that. It's the worst flying experience in the world, and once you factor in all their hidden fees it's not much cheaper than anybody else. I will never, EVER, fly them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    San Diego: Lots of white people who speak English
    Miami: NO white people who speak English. Except Marc and Mrs. Marc. But other than that, the people ruin Miami. That's actually the #1 reason I hear from the mass exodus of Americans who leave this city. The people just flat out suck. And I tend to agree.
    San Diego County (2012)
    White (Non-Hispanic): 47%
    Asian: 11.6%
    Black: 5.6%
    Hispanic (any race): 32.7%

Miami-Dade County (2012)
    White: (Non-Hispanic) 16.3%
    Asian: 1.7%
    Black: 19.2%
    Hispanic (any race): 64.3%

Having grown up in LA with its Latino influences, I'd find it hard to move anywhere without a decent sized Hispanic community. Otherwise my Spanish gets rusty between trips to Latin America...

While many talk about San Diego having perfect weather year round, consider the following:

1. San Diego has the warmest 60 degrees I have ever felt (can feel like 75 sometimes, good thing) and the coldest 60 degrees I have ever felt (can feel like 45 other days when cold damp air comes off the ocean...bad thing).

2. Elaborating on above, December 1 - March 30 (4 full months) it gets a helluva lot colder than in Miami...besides what I described above it actually get's lower for a good portion of what I described (mid-high 50's not unusual during the day nor is mid to low 40's at night). Sure, you get the occasional Santa Ana condition where it can reach 80 during this period a couple of times where it lasts for 4-5 days but the prior is the norm during this period. Is it Chicago?..no, but it gets chilly to the point where I wear my ski jacket (no gloves, not that much of a wuss) often enough during the winter months. I actually caught pneumonia one year...in San Diego .

3. May Gray/June Gloom--there are a considerable number of days during these 2 months where there is a heavy thick fog coming off the ocean that lasts well into the afternoon....in some beach towns (La Jolla), it can last all day....best to live inland if you want to be assured of seeing the sun during these two months.

4.August/September--each year , the remnants of Baja tropical weather reach San Diego bringing hot and sticky (yes, humidity) lasting 2-3 weeks....2-3 years ago the temperature in downtown San Diego reached 108 degrees during this time frame.

5. High temps can bring destructive fires, if you consider moving inland. (2014, 2007, 2003).

6. I will let the hurricanes and earthquakes cancel each other out.

Just wanted to point this out and dispel the myth that San Diego is a perfect 72 during the day and 65 at night 365 days a year. I live downtown, right off the bay in relatively close proximity to the ocean.

As for the white people or SD v Miami, SD is a collection of small beach communities that calls itself a city that borders a 3rd world country with a military presence....I don't have a problem with an international crowd nor will you find condos selling for $30M, condos, as you do in Miami Beach...the wealthy from around the world all want to live in Miami--probably due to the closer proximity to South America, Europe, NYC, etc and the fact CA is so far away from everything, except Mexico and Vegas ( which I hate). The largest retail project in the US is taking place in Brickell, not San Diego...so if you want a small laid back ( here in SD that means apathetic) atmosphere move to San Diego or live in Delray Beach...if you want a more vibrant area that is an actual city with warm weather then Miami is the spot....of course, ask me after I have moved and give me 2 years ( or maybe miami burger will make a comeback and post)
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-30-2014 at 09:22 AM.

In regards to your closing: Miami to some extent is a facade It's 3rd World at it's core.

You'll eventually reach that conclusion in due course.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

not the places I visited....or maybe I was surrounded by the 1% from those 3rd world countries who weren't and aren't giving a 2nd thought to plopping down $1.5M, $ 3M, more, etc for their second and third condo?? I was shocked at the wealth...I;ve also seen my share of Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari's (usually part of a stable, not the primary driving vehicle) in SoCal but it seemed as though there were 2-3x many more in SoBe.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-30-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    While many talk about San Diego having perfect weather year round, consider the following:

1. San Diego has the warmest 60 degrees I have ever felt (can feel like 75 sometimes, good thing) and the coldest 60 degrees I have ever felt (can feel like 45 other days when cold damp air comes off the ocean...bad thing).

2. Elaborating on above, December 1 - March 30 (4 full months) it gets a helluva lot colder than in Miami...besides what I described above it actually get's lower for a good portion of what I described (mid-high 50's not unusual during the day nor is mid to low 40's at night). Sure, you get the occasional Santa Ana condition where it can reach 80 during this period a couple of times where it lasts for 4-5 days but the prior is the norm during this period. Is it Chicago?..no, but it gets chilly to the point where I wear my ski jacket (no gloves, not that much of a wuss) often enough during the winter months. I actually caught pneumonia one year...in San Diego .

3. May Gray/June Gloom--there are a considerable number of days during these 2 months where there is a heavy thick fog coming off the ocean that lasts well into the afternoon....in some beach towns (La Jolla), it can last all day....best to live inland if you want to be assured of seeing the sun during these two months.

4.August/September--each year , the remnants of Baja tropical weather reach San Diego bringing hot and sticky (yes, humidity) lasting 2-3 weeks....2-3 years ago the temperature in downtown San Diego reached 108 degrees during this time frame.

5. High temps can bring destructive fires, if you consider moving inland. (2014, 2007, 2003).

6. I will let the hurricanes and earthquakes cancel each other out.

Just wanted to point this out and dispel the myth that San Diego is a perfect 72 during the day and 65 at night 365 days a year. I live downtown, right off the bay in relatively close proximity to the ocean.
    I am in agreement with most of your points. No question, San Diego has great weather. But there is a mythology that somehow San Diego has "perfect" beach weather all year. Unfortunately, the Beach Boys, local Chambers of Commerce and movies have promoted this lie that So.Calif. has a tropical/sub-tropical climate. Of course, it does not, it is a "Mediterranean" climate which is in reality very, very pleasant..much of the year. But it does not produce Hawaii quality beach days all year. For that at a cheaper price one should go to Miami.

Agree with you that clearly Miami/So.Fla from Dec. through March is GREAT weather...much better than San Diego in my book. However, for me, from about April to October/Nov. San Diego/SoCalif is far more comfortable and pleasant than So.Fla.
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-30-2014 at 12:49 PM.

not the places I visited....or maybe I was surrounded by the 1% from those 3rd world countries who weren't and aren't giving a 2nd thought to plopping down $1.5M, $ 3M, more, etc for their second and third condo?? I was shocked at the wealth...I;ve also seen my share of Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari's (usually part of a stable, not the primary driving vehicle) in SoCal but it seemed as though there were 2-3x many more in SoBe.
    One thing I like about San Diego over Los Angeles and Miami is the people are less flashy, a bit less materialistic and there seems to be less extremes of poverty and wealth. The middle class seems to be flourishing more in San Diego than Miami or LA.

I would say early-mid November through end of May (6.5 -7 months v your 4 months) I prefer the weather in Miami Beach....the entire month of May was quite pleasant where it averaged 82 for the high and the low was around 75 at night and even reached 90 during Memorial Day weekend; however there was a constant sea breeze which kept things quite comfortable, even when it hit 90.

In addition,there might have been 3 or 4 days of precipitation for the entire month that lasted a combined 40 minutes during my stay (just as some incorrectly believe it is 72 every day in SD, some incorrectly believe it rains every day in Miami)...now there probably is a HUGE difference between 90 in May v. 90 in August, but I have been to Cuba a couple of times in May and now Miami in May and that has to be one of my favorite months weather wise.....I was not in San Diego this past May when the temps soared into the 90's, prompting the wildfires--and often has a May gray from fog that lasts most of the day, but I felt more comfortable with the Miami 90 (at least in May) than a San Diego 90...when it gets hot in SD it gets hot (dry or not).
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-30-2014 at 01:18 PM.

less flashy and materialistic, yes, but also less sophisticated and worldly--almost to a point of living in a bubble...more casual certainly.....not sure what part of LA or SoCal you are in, but there are definite pockets of wealth--Coronado, La Jolla, parts of Pt Loma (including Sunset Cliffs_ Del Mar (including Rancho Santa fe), etc...however, outside these pockets and a few others the 'average' person is noticeably less well off than the average person I ran into in OC (and I'm not just talking Newport Beach or Coast)...once you get away from the coast and go a few miles inland the majority of San Diego almost has more of a Long Beach/Whittier feel to it (East County, South County, Clairemont, parts of North County etc...generally the more inland you get). though it does not have a North Long Beach/Compton area.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-30-2014 at 01:20 PM.

There are plenty of white people (read El Cajon--called El Cajun, La Mesa, Oceanside, San Marcos, Clairemont, University Heights) in San Diego that would fit in well in the rural areas of Florida. I'd much rather hang with a successful Latino than one from this group just because they happen to have lighter skin

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    San Diego County (2012)
    White (Non-Hispanic): 47%
    Asian: 11.6%
    Black: 5.6%
    Hispanic (any race): 32.7%

Miami-Dade County (2012)
    White: (Non-Hispanic) 16.3%
    Asian: 1.7%
    Black: 19.2%
    Hispanic (any race): 64.3%

Having grown up in LA with its Latino influences, I'd find it hard to move anywhere without a decent sized Hispanic community. Otherwise my Spanish gets rusty between trips to Latin America...

less flashy and materialistic, yes, but also less sophisticated and worldly--almost to a point of living in a bubble...more casual certainly.....not sure what part of LA or SoCal you are in, but there are definite pockets of wealth--Coronado, La Jolla, parts of Pt Loma (including Sunset Cliffs_ Del Mar (including Rancho Santa fe), etc...however, outside these pockets and a few others the 'average' person is noticeably less well off than the average person I ran into in OC (and I'm not just talking Newport Beach or Coast)...once you get away from the coast and go a few miles inland the majority of San Diego almost has more of a Long Beach/Whittier feel to it (East County, South County, Clairemont, parts of North County etc...generally the more inland you get). though it does not have a North Long Beach/Compton area.
    Every city has so-called bubbles. Show me one that's uniform and you'll show me a classless society. Not sure how much you've been about while in Miami. Sense it's only been around the veneer by water. Quite intoxicating - that !

I've been coming to MIA for over 20 years and I'm a Californian. So glad they put me up at The Doral during those days as I nipped both Miami's in two days. That warded off any delusions.

I'm must admit I got spoiled spending f most of my time in SoBe as I decide to relocate there (Sunset Harbour or Belle Isle) v Brickell (mainland Brickell v Brickell Key)--so, yes, in that regard my view is jaded....though I would envision working the Grove, Midtown, Coral Gables, Wynwood Key Biscayne and Aventura into my social circuit ( perhaps still jaded).

so, yes, my plan is to make a bubble of my own...seems as though I would get more bang for the buck with a Brickell or Brickell Key address with memberships at The Sports Club LA (nice gym, unlike the ones I saw in SoBe) and a pool membership at The Standard.....based on that, I believe I would have a relatively nice lifestyle and witness some of the best Miami/Miami Beach has to offer.

I am in central (downtown) Los Angeles.

But San Diego County's population is more educated and less poor than Miami-Dade County's.

Percentage of population 25 years or older with a Bachelor's degree or higher:
    San Diego County: 34.4%
    Miami-Dade County: 26.3%

Percent of pop. below the poverty level:
    San Diego: 13.9%
    Miami-Dade: 19.1%

I know San Diego will never be mistaken as the intellectual capital of the western world but plenty of educated, smart and worldly people there. Bio-tech, the Salk Institute, UCSD...
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-30-2014 at 10:21 PM.

only 34% of 25+ year olds with a bachelors degree?...not exactly Mensa...where I grew up on Long Island, if you did not graduate a 4 year college in 4 years you were considered a retard (my apologies if I offend anyone with that term).....I would encourage you to focus on living in La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Carmel Valley, or Encinitas.....I've run into my fair share of morons in the downtown SD area who took 7 or 8 years to graduate SDSU (not to be confused with Cornell or Stanford) who support the local crystal meth trade and whose career aspiration is to become the head bartender at Fluxx or open their own tattoo parlor by age 37.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-30-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Miami is the OPPOSITE of sophisticated. I'm not sure where you've been hanging out but aside from the Jersey Shore Miami is about as trashy as it get s in America. The rich feel the need to flaunt it all the time, the poor feel the need to be rich, and nobody is educated. I found Southern California to be leaps and bounds ahead of Miami in terms of the general intelligence of the population. I'd say the bulk of people I meet here daily I think should not be allowed to breed. Go watch a Heat game at a sports bar. It's sad. Sorry, the rest of the stuff you said is all subjective (Weather, preference of Latin over American culture, etc.) but seriously, sophisticated is the LAST word anyone should use when talking about Miami.

A restaurateur I was talking to the other day described the condo boom here as a "gold rush, except there's no gold.' Miami is still a city based on nothing, with no real industry other than tourism and real estate which are not exactly steadfast. Then again, if a show about nothing can be one of the most popular in history, maybe a city based on nothing can as well.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast