Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Default Re: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

I ran into a Bank executive, real estate developers (women), attorneys, executive recruiter, and hedge fund manager at various dinners, happy hours (ranging from Smith & Wollensky, PB Steak, Icebox, Sardinia, etc.)--this in spite of my not possessing above average looks or charm....maybe I got lucky or maybe because I was in the bubble of SoFi and Sunset Harour/Belle Isle....when I worked out at Sports Club LA in Brickell I met other highly successful professionals-- not all, but my fair share.

Somehow, I think other types of people besides drug kingpins--and definitely not low lifes-- are paying up to $20-30M for condos in Miami (I do not think ANY condo will sell for that price in San Diego in my lifetime...equestrian estate in Rancho Santa Fe?--ok, but then I am sure I can find an equal number of mansions on Star Island matching or exceeding that)....OK, that is the exception, not the norm but a $1-2M condo is no exception in Miami either.

Driving around town with my realtor, he did point out this person in the Bentley who blew $20M up his nose but regained his footing by producing for Shakira and another elderly gentleman who came out of a sports car who developed the Portofino and blew all his money as well....I am sure there are plenty of horror stories--even amongst the rich and famous--but there has to be a reason why the rich from all over the world want to set up shop in Miami/Miami Beach and pay what they are paying (often in cash) for property--besides laundering money.

I am sure inland and in less glamorous parts of the city what you say is true--but I do not intend to live or spend most of my time in these other areas, even if I am not a record producer or real estate developer nor have millions to blow up my nose. I am also fairly certain I will run into people who have made their fortune in other states who have decided to retire or relocate to FL for the warm weather. I've always been the tortoise, not the hare, in the race and done fairly well for myself by living within my means and never over-leveraging or living beyond my means....and, being from NY and street smart, I am pretty good at sizing someone up and telling when they are full of crap (i.e. anyone who has to brag or tell me how much they have almost always ends up being full of crap)
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-30-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    I am in central (downtown) Los Angeles.

But San Diego County's population is more educated and less poor than Miami-Dade County's.

Percentage of population 25 years or older with a Bachelor's degree or higher:
    San Diego County: 34.4%
    Miami-Dade County: 26.3%

Percent of pop. below the poverty level:
    San Diego: 13.9%
    Miami-Dade: 19.1%

I know San Diego will never be mistaken as the intellectual capital of the western world but plenty of educated, smart and worldly people there. Bio-tech, the Salk Institute, UCSD...
    SoCal, I have a good sense where you live. Within two blocks you have the Disney Concert Hall, MOCA and the upcoming Eli Broad. Pretty much more culture and intellectual property than Dade County combined.

I understand the bubble thing as that more or less is what I do. That doesn't prevent the mosquito that lounges at the villainous damp trash bin at Mago del Las Fritas from popping that bubble. It's inevitable as the Hialeah family household of 12 also like to go to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    SoCal, I have a good sense where you live. Within two blocks you have the Disney Concert Hall, MOCA and the upcoming Eli Broad. Pretty much more culture and intellectual property than Dade County combined.
    Yes, Los Angeles might have a lot of traffic and cold ocean water but it packs a punch when it comes to culture/arts, etc.

Name:  Lion King.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  77.5 KB

Every time I go back home, I make it a point to revisit my favorite perch. The same point I came to three times a week when I lived at the base of the mountain. The hike was my therapy as I prayed, meditated and connived on the ascent. Once on top of Mt Hollywood, I obverse and study my city. Sometimes with admiration. Sometimes as a misanthrope. In all cases, with admiration. It's still home to me and I consider myself lucky and fortunate for my life experiences down below.

From my perch, my vision captures the whole basin. From the Pacific and panning left, the Civic Center and parts of ELA. Continuing my rotation, Glendale, Pasadena. Directly behind me, Burbank and the rest of the San Fernando Valley. It was a city which I easily accepted in it's totality

Like a lion, who requires 100's of square miles to roam in order to survive, there was no such thing called a bubble. I'm grateful to the Korean hikers who took this picture of me. It was a Lion King .

I mention this, because this template doesn't square with Miami's. Many restrict themselves to limited geographical space and think it's Shangri-La. It's an easy deception.

Miami is a fun place and I have admitted I love it because I know it's limitation and I'm a sucker anywhere a Sea Oat thrives. Miami is also a great event city. Give your monkey a paint brush and canvas and you can have fun Art Basel events. Miami is sexy.... at least how it's portrayed on Miami CSI and what is generally consumed. f they shoot on location in Liberty City, I might want to watch it again.

So is it possible to think you can survive in Miami walking thin lines ? I say no unless you conciliate the reality of other parts of the city. You just can't avoid it and that's where Matt's two year threshold theory comes in.

More power to you if you can do it. I haven't yet the stomach to test that theorem . I love the city and that emotion is sturdied by the fact my homestead is 200 mi. away.

Who knows ? I still think about taking the full time plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    only 34% of 25+ year olds with a bachelors degree?...not exactly Mensa...where I grew up on Long Island, if you did not graduate a 4 year college in 4 years you were considered a retard (my apologies if I offend anyone with that term).....I would encourage you to focus on living in La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Carmel Valley, or Encinitas.....I've run into my fair share of morons in the downtown SD area who took 7 or 8 years to graduate SDSU (not to be confused with Cornell or Stanford) who support the local crystal meth trade and whose career aspiration is to become the head bartender at Fluxx or open their own tattoo parlor by age 37.
    You do realize San Diego is ABOVE the national average (28%) who graduate from college and Miami-Dade is below the average? But I get it you are sick of San Diego...time to strike another match and go start anew.

Those areas of San Diego you mention are nice but too suburban for my tastes. I have more interest in downtown, hillcrest/mission hills, univ. heights, south park, etc.

Great pic Blackford.

SoCal--I live downtown ( it is called that in spite of only 30,000 residents)...if I were you I might focus on Little Italy and Bankers Hill, at least if you want to be around more professionals. Mission Hills OK too....Not a fAn of East Village. Good luck.

Wish I had a thought about San Diego but it's lost in a haze.

Growing up further north, there are those obligatory visits ( at the insistence of a gf ) to go to the SD Zoo, Coronado and Sea World. Outside that, my fondest memory was racing a Big Wheel down a hill as a kid when my Godmother claimed me for a week during Summer. San Diego was always that city " on-the-way" to your actual destination.,,,be it Del Mar or Tijuana. TJ was also the best place to catch San Diego's finest at the strip club at the alternate border xing, though I was fine with Bambi's on Revolucion. I'll take TJ over W of 95 any day.

Outside Del Mar and border xing's, I'd find myself visiting my sister who relocated to Rancho Bernardo. When traveling S on the 15, one needs to be careful as there are two exits that bear the name Rancho Bernardo. One my first attempt, I took the wrong one and ended up exploring Escondido. There's a body of water that separates RB and Escondido. The area N of the lake/river is were I'd settle if forced to move further south and commute. My latest memory of San Diego proper was having a drink at a hotel and sinking my feet into warm sand in the Gaslamp District after a Dodger game at Petco. It was no big deal.

SoCal, if this was a simple equation, I'd stay put. Mo-Chica down the street has better fish tacos than you'll find in SD. For old school SC guys, we remember it's humble beginnings on Hoover, near campus.

You must have some interesting variables to want to move. I did and it's all cool.

I ditched California for FL the same time Shaq did ten years ago. My last act a Californian was to view Reagan at wake in Simi and vote for McClintock for Gov. The next day I said goodbye with no regrets.

Two months later, I'm watching a Jeb Bush press conference about hurricane ( Charlie) preparedness and realized I was now a Floridian. Power was lost in the middle of a USC / UC Berkeley game. Three days later, I finally find out Matt Lienart rallied us back for the win and you know what happened afterwards.

Great pic Blackford.

SoCal--I live downtown ( it is called that in spite of only 30,000 residents)...if I were you I might focus on Little Italy and Bankers Hill, at least if you want to be around more professionals. Mission Hills OK too....Not a fAn of East Village. Good luck.
    Yes, true. I think downtown Miami is more like 70,000 residents. I do like Little Italy and Bankers Hill. Thanks for the tip. San Diego is on the quiet side for me..Miami is more lively, etc. I did one relocation to the east coast in my late 20s (NYC/DC). With family and job here it makes SD an easier proposition for me. I know you have east coast roots so that is in your favor for a Miami move. Good luck to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Wish I had a thought about San Diego but it's lost in a haze.

Growing up further north, there are those obligatory visits ( at the insistence of a gf ) to go to the SD Zoo, Coronado and Sea World. Outside that, my fondest memory was racing a Big Wheel down a hill as a kid when my Godmother claimed me for a week during Summer. San Diego was always that city " on-the-way" to your actual destination.,,,be it Del Mar or Tijuana. TJ was also the best place to catch San Diego's finest at the strip club at the alternate border xing, though I was fine with Bambi's on Revolucion. I'll take TJ over W of 95 any day.

SoCal, if this was a simple equation, I'd stay put. Mo-Chica down the street has better fish tacos than you'll find in SD. For old school SC guys, we remember it's humble beginnings on Hoover, near campus.

You must have some interesting variables to want to move. I did and it's all cool.

I ditched California for FL the same time Shaq did ten years ago. My last act a Californian was to view Reagan at wake in Simi and vote for McClintock for Gov. The next day I said goodbye with no regrets.
    For a guy that left a while ago you are up on the latest on the culinary scene. MoChica is a great restaurant. The culinary scene in downtown LA is on fire...lots of great restaurants opening. San Diego is less interesting/more boring than LA. But I do like how clean it is compared to LA, the streets, the air, etc. I am single, no kids but might want them in the future. I think SD is an easier place to have a family than LA.

If I get bored in SD I can always come back up the 5 to LA without too much difficulty.

San Diego food scene is nothing to write home about but at least it is getting better. You may end up getting in your car and hitting other neighborhoods and with consistently less traffic than LA it is doable. The Gaslamp is a culinary vacuum that appeals to once a year conventioneers from Oklahoma. The best restos in Little Italy are not Italian ( Prep Kitchen and Juniper & Ivy) but it is getting better. Mission Hills (Brooklyn Girl) and Bankers Hills have some good ones as well....I like the cleanliness of Little Italy and Mission Hills...almost everyone in East Village has a dog and it smells of dog urine in many places in spite of constant street cleaning efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Miami is the OPPOSITE of sophisticated. I'm not sure where you've been hanging out but aside from the Jersey Shore Miami is about as trashy as it get s in America. The rich feel the need to flaunt it all the time, the poor feel the need to be rich, and nobody is educated. I found Southern California to be leaps and bounds ahead of Miami in terms of the general intelligence of the population. I'd say the bulk of people I meet here daily I think should not be allowed to breed. Go watch a Heat game at a sports bar. It's sad. Sorry, the rest of the stuff you said is all subjective (Weather, preference of Latin over American culture, etc.) but seriously, sophisticated is the LAST word anyone should use when talking about Miami.

A restaurateur I was talking to the other day described the condo boom here as a "gold rush, except there's no gold.' Miami is still a city based on nothing, with no real industry other than tourism and real estate which are not exactly steadfast. Then again, if a show about nothing can be one of the most popular in history, maybe a city based on nothing can as well.

Matt: How may of those riches have been illicitly gained ? The other question is: To what extent is the posture of prosperity due to leasing a Porsche Cayenne or other for $299 a month ? We all know that place on 5th is where Bieber rented his Ferrari as did chumps from Atlanta last weekend.

The answer is nobody knows. One certainty is even the die heart honest entrepreneur is breaking his back to afford a decent 305 mortgage.

Was it eight weeks ago that the local Twitter feed busted because a Russian oligarch parked his mega yacht at the mouth of the Miami River ? Very likely the same MoFo that siphoned millions off the Sochi Olympics and ready to do it again in the World Cup after Brazil.

We're rampant with local corrupt politicians and have the fame of Ponzi schemes screwing seniors out of their retirement fund. Then add to that the peach fuzz kid racing a Maserati up or down Cutler. It doesn't pass the Smith Barney test. These are monies not earned the old fashioned way and thus, Miami is an unfettered shysters playground.

For giggles, I was at the bar at Garcia's content with my $4.99 Grouper soup and I notice a pricey boat dock aside. Mid 30sh dude navigating alone and a set of the most perfect teeth I've ever seen. Anyways ... he settles at the bar next to me ordering drinks. Gathered immediately he was Argentine, and while we talked about fishing, he also explained how white chocolate is made in the Lake District. As the conversion developed I made a reference to Euclidean geometry and celestial navigation as I noticed he had a mast. He became confounded and I scored the guy, Same I do for any prick driving a car N of $60 G's in Miami. I don't expect you to solve the Pythagorean theorem . I do however expect if you're packed with horse power to give some cred to a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,.

Matt, I'd say honest money in Miami is 36% true. Trust fund kids or their NE parents sailing by get a pass. Aside that it's ill gained monies here or far.

So ...... the only legitimate dude driving a Ducati in Miami should only be ( inside baseball) ..................

Name:  burger king.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  7.8 KB

San Diego food scene is nothing to write home about but at least it is getting better. You may end up getting in your car and hitting other neighborhoods and with consistently less traffic than LA it is doable. The Gaslamp is a culinary vacuum that appeals to once a year conventioneers from Oklahoma. The best restos in Little Italy are not Italian ( Prep Kitchen and Juniper & Ivy) but it is getting better. Mission Hills (Brooklyn Girl) and Bankers Hills have some good ones as well....I like the cleanliness of Little Italy and Mission Hills...almost everyone in East Village has a dog and it smells of dog urine in many places in spite of constant street cleaning efforts.
    Rubios, dude ... c'mon !

Haha .. everyone caught on to fish tacos and Baja Fresh in Mary Brickell didn't hang long.

And those Lucha Libre tacos near San Diego sent me to the mat sticking a finger down my tonsils.

As I tell every one hitting Baja SD .... head W on Revolución till it bends S towards Agua Caliente. Ya, that non descript place called Tacos del Güero

Actually, Tijuana has a more vibrant foodie scene these days than SD...Javier Plasencia puts out some awesome food at his restos--Caesars ( where the salad by same name was invented), highly acclaimed Mision 19, Erizo Cebecheria, and others. Believe it or not even better Chinese food in TJ. La Differencia, Cheripan (argentine steak), La Caza Club, Negro Durazo, and Los Arcos also very good. You will never hit Rubios after eating at these places. Further south in Ensenada is some great wine (Santo Tomas winery puts out some great stuff) along with a special restaurant, Corazon de la Tierra...it can be a pain getting back across the border unless you have a Sentri pass. Count me as a fan of TJ for the food, Caliente casinos, and La Casa del Habano (Cuban cigar franchise and lounge)...not a fan of the gals there ( too many scars, if you know what I mean).

Funny, but many of the shyster schemes you described could easily be found in SoCal--perhaps not to the extent of SoFla and, fortunately, Bernard Madoff chose to rip off high net worth individuals in Palm Beach rather than La Jolla.

P.s...Plasencia opened a resto in Bonita (section of Chula Vista) called Romescos that is awesome Baja Mex cuisine and consistently ranks as the #1 Mexican resto in San Diego. Also in Bonita is TJ Oyster Bar and in centro Chula Vista is Karinas--the Hooters of fish taco places.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-31-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Actually, Tijuana has a more vibrant foodie scene these days than SD...Javier Plasencia puts out some awesome food at his restos--Caesars ( where the salad by same name was invented), highly acclaimed Mision 19, Erizo Cebecheria, and others. Believe it or not even better Chinese food in TJ. La Differencia, Cheripan (argentine steak), La Caza Club, Negro Durazo, and Los Arcos also very good. You will never hit Rubios after eating at these places. Further south in Ensenada is some great wine (Santo Tomas winery puts out some great stuff) along with a special restaurant, Corazon de la Tierra...it can be a pain getting back across the border unless you have a Sentri pass. Count me as a fan of TJ for the food, Caliente casinos, and La Casa del Habano (Cuban cigar franchise and lounge)...not a fan of the gals there ( too many scars, if you know what I mean).

Funny, but many of the shyster schemes you described could easily be found in SoCal--perhaps not to the extent of SoFla and, fortunately, Bernard Madoff chose to rip off high net worth individuals in Palm Beach rather than La Jolla.

P.s...Plasencia opened a resto in Bonita (section of Chula Vista) called Romescos that is awesome Baja Mex cuisine and consistently ranks as the #1 Mexican resto in San Diego. Also in Bonita is TJ Oyster Bar and in centro Chula Vista is Karinas--the Hooters of fish taco places.
    Don't complicate things. Rosarito and it's $12 lobster con arroz , frijoles con tortillas trumps everything.

Not known to many, one lady owns 80% of those Rosarito lobster joints and also has a monopoly on the San Diego florist market. I was often a guest at her dentist son's three story complex off Revolución & Vallarta. #cabowabo

Tijuana was my Las Vegas back in the day.

Haven't been to TJ in over a decade. Before I moved, an LA cousin organized a bus trip and I tagged along, We picked up Marichis once over the border that accompanied us throughout. Emphasis was on shopping , and even back then I noticed clothes ideal to me I couldn't find N of border. A new TJ was emerging then. Three new nice malls all of a sudden.

I have a lengthy southland stay planned in October. Plan a foray into TJ.

It's not that place anymore where you can make an excuse to go and get your car updated with outlawed Freon....and those little extras ... LOL
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-31-2014 at 04:05 PM.

and they have even imported a high end movie chain into the US (Del Mar, So. OC, and I believe LA) from Tijuana--Cinepolis...watching first run movies in wide, reclining leather chairs with waiter service (food and alcohol) during the movie...who knew.

If I am still in SD then let me know...sometimes I watch college football in my buddies Cuban Cigar lounge--but, remember, now you must bring your passport.
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-31-2014 at 04:27 PM.

"Matt: How may of those riches have been illicitly gained ? The other question is: To what extent is the posture of prosperity due to leasing a Porsche Cayenne or other for $299 a month ? We all know that place on 5th is where Bieber rented his Ferrari as did chumps from Atlanta last weekend.

The answer is nobody knows. One certainty is even the die heart honest entrepreneur is breaking his back to afford a decent 305 mortgage."

....oh yeah, like this crap never happens anywhere else--least of all Southern California--and it's exclusive to Miami....oh how I miss the days of Newport Beach where 3 guys would share a 2 bedroom apartment just to have a Newport Beach address....or the guy who drove a 10 year old Mercedes but changed the decal/model number on the back so he could tell people it was only 2 years old...or the guy at Sports Club Irvine who would work out in bicycle shorts and take a pair of socks and stuff it in the front of his bicycle shorts to appear more enhanced....think less pretentious San Diego is safe from this crowd?...there's the night gym/restaurant owner, make that managing partner with a 10% stake, very good at getting others to give him money so he can finance his $15 or 20K a week visit to meet Richard Branson on his private Caribbean island, who comes off as such a great businessman yet is a mere carnival salesman...or the weekly 28 year olds posing on the yacht or at opening day at Del Mar in a rented outfit or the same rented outfit for opening day at the Polo Club before they go back to their $40,000/year wannabe millionaire status the next day.

Maybe these, and plenty other experiences, will brace me for Miami though I truly long for my days from NY where if you act like you're hot shit you better be able to prove it--if not, there will be plenty of people willing to bring you down to earth 'crabs in a bucket" style--as soon as one crab is about to escape a bucket, the other crabs bring him down.
    Last edited by elchevere; 06-02-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Elche, My father grew up on 110th St..and I've heard stories.

Miami is different and graft is the reason it has more skycrappers ( per se ) than LA. Miami has no industry to warrant such development. A good portion of funny money is foreign but this is Miami's open past and present. Organized crime in NY is parochial, down here it trickles down to a lot more people and not exclusive.

When you have a chance, catch Cocaine Cowboys or any work Billy Corben has produced and you'll learn more about Miami than time already spent here. There are also plenty of non-fiction books out there worthy on the subject.

Miami was also labeled " Murder Capital" of the world at one time. Not one victim breaking the oath of omerta. Interesting times that still play a role and is characteristic how this city is run at times.

gotta rent that movie, thanks

gotta rent that movie, thanks
    Yes, I have seen "Cocaine Cowboys" and it is a very intersting documentary. You might find it for "free" on Youtube but I am pretty sure it is available on Netflix.

I also really enjoyed this book on Miami...read it over 20 years ago. It came out in the 1980's so kind of outdated but still an intersting look into the development and culture of the city.
    http://www.amazon.com/Going-Miami-To...1726372&sr=1-8

I had a "Miami" moment over the weekend. I was at a rooftop bar in downtown LA on Sat evening. The temp that day was 80 (high) - 61 (low). I was in a short sleeve shirt and by 11pm or so I was a little chilly. Got me thinking: if i was in Miami this would not be an issue. Then I looked up the weather in Miami on Saturday and it was 87 (high) and 77 (low) with thunderstorms. So maybe a bit too far in the other direction for me. I know late May/early June is the start of the more unpleasant Miami weather.

Every place has its trade offs....would love to import Miami's winter weather to So.Cal. and keep the So.Cal summers. Well, maybe if I win the lottery I can live a bi-coastal lifestyle.....

I've been reading up on the development occuring or planned in dowtown Miami/Brickell. Pretty amazing how much is going on. Downtown LA has a lot of new devleopment happening as well. But downtown San Diego appears very tame by comparison...and the FAA limits the height of new buildings given the airport's proximity so there will never be a 60 or 70 or 80 story tower.

With regards to the economics of all the new development, I know that SOME of the new high-rise towers going up in LA is fueled by Asian money which is NOT teathered to traditional underwriting metrics we are used to in the states. That is, programs like "EB5" wich give investors a visa in exchange for a large job producing investment are definitely part of the equation. I also think building a tropy asset (economics be damned) is another component.
    Last edited by SoCal; 06-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast