Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Default Re: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    What I like about this site/forum--you guys are critical and give me the bad with the good...that's called an honest assessment.

This is in direct contrast to some of the San Diego forums (Tripadvisor, City Data, Chowhound) I contribute on--god forbid anyone makes a critical comment related to that town, you get the 4 year-old infantile "if you don't like it here, why don't you leave" response
    . But then again, these are the same people who took to heart the Tripadvisor poll rating San Diego as the #1 city in the USA for pizza (those tourists from Norman, Oklahoma who responded to the poll really know their pizza) and the same ones who feel everyone in the world wants to live there...OK--when I see condos selling for $50M,$30M and $20M, as they do in Miami, then I will know such is the case.

Appreciate the ability to knock something on this forum and not be attacked like one of the homogeneous munchkins from The Wizard of Oz...keep the honest assessments coming--it's important to people such as myself who need to know everything about Miami so they can make an informed decision about relocating there.
    Yeah, I agree with you. This site is good that way, it is possible here to disagree without being disagreeable. And yes, some of the San Diego posters in that other forum are hyper-sensitive about criticizing "America's Finest City"....while S.D. has its appeal it can also be quite dull.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    if you did that here in SD you would be ostracized....heck, when I grew up in NY if you did not knock the place people would think there's something wrong with you...always good to go through life with 2 feet on the ground, not 2 feet above it (when you fall, it hurts less).

Anyhoo, looks like my only decisions are (1) not if to move to Miami but when and (2) where--SoBe v. Brickell....if SoBe, would be on the bay side (Waverly/Belle Isle/Sunset Harbour area) with pluses being I am at the beach, walkable, Lincoln Road Mall + So Pointe Park, and Standard Hotel pool membership = nice lifestyle...downside = gyms suck in SoBe (unless you are in newer $1M+ condo building) and $150K more expensive and older building than Brickell.....if Brickell, newer building, more bang for the buck, closer to other areas (Coral Gables, Grove, Wynwood, Midtown, etc), great gym (Sports Club LA), but much more congested...not sure Brickell Key is a happy medium between the two but is also under consideration. Boils down to beach v.urban lifestyle....debating whether, at age 55, it makes sense to take on the additional $150K of debt (beach)--probably could swing it and you only live once.
    Congrats on making your decision. A move to Miami should be fun and exciting. Sounds like you really like being by the beach? Either way best of luck with the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Brickell Key is not under construction
    Believe his consideration is under construction :-)

Believe Swire tapped out Brickell Key though there are those subliminal messages that both kiddie parks and aligned open areas are an act of their courtesy. Aside an island protest if those areas are touched, I don't see that happening. Asia seemed like enough of an ordeal for them. NAOE, which was to complement the development is also half empty.

Of all the peeps that have come here asking for moving advise, seems elchevere has played it smartly. Employment is not an issue and the euphoria that exists after for some after a few days is non-existent. It's promising he hasn't mentioned beach time or which club is happening on a Tuesday night. I suspect he's been here over a month which many don't or can't manage.

It's beyond me to even consider living by the beach. If the beach is still being considered after a month stay, I'm going to be inclined to say that might be his best choice and inclination.

Go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you. This site is good that way, it is possible here to disagree without being disagreeable. And yes, some of the San Diego posters in that other forum are hyper-sensitive about criticizing "America's Finest City"....while S.D. has its appeal it can also be quite dull.

FYI: The other rival site that get's subsidized by the city/state is based in Texas. Ya, some dudes in chaps selling Miami. It's made sexy enough to give a hard on to some dude in Moline. This site is aware of the obvious allure but never shy to shed light on the grit and bull sh!t of which there is plenty of abundance of. If Fisher was still alive, he'd create another island out of all the crap that goes about here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567