Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

Default Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

I grew up in and currently live in Los Angeles. Giving a move to Miami serious consideration. There was always something I liked about Miami. That said, if I won the lottery I'd probably stay in Los Angeles (part-time anyway) and South America the rest of the year.

About me:
    I am a white guy (non-Hispanic) who speaks decent Spanish and likes Latin women and culture (as in traditional Latin music/dancing like salsa, etc). I also love traveling to South America and Miami will allow me to make more frequent trips. I am mid-40's, single, never married, no kids. I look young enough to date ladies in their 20's but I date women well into their 30's as well. I recently started dating a woman from Costa Rica who is in her early 20's but IF I make the move I will be coming alone.....no family, not even a dog or cat, just me.

Why do I want to move?
    In a nut shell, cheaper real estate and closer proximity to South America. Am I crazy to relocate for those reasons?

-If you think Miami/Miami Beach rents/house prices are bad try LA rents/home prices for a day. Insane!!! With a move to Miami I could sell my LA condo and transfer that built up equity to a more affordable Miami. A decent single-family house would be possible (a 2Bd/2Ba would be fine). I know this forum is Miami Beach focused but mainland Miami areas like Miami Shores and Coral Gables are on my list (after renting for a while). A SFH is not a must but if I were to get married in the next few years it would be nice to have that option.

-Also, being close to South America gives me lots of opportunities to meet a suitable woman from Colombia [or INSERT xx country here] who would be satisfied with the American "middle-class" lifestyle and is not expecting me to make a million bucks a year, etc.

The firm I work for has an office in Miami. So my pay would stay the same.

Miami (+): warmer winters, cheaper real estate, proximity to So. America, cleaner air, warmer ocean water

LA (+): better overall weather (low humidity), unmatched geographic diversity, more cultural institutions (museums, universities, etc.), a larger city with more options in most categories.

Last one is traffic: Seems like LA is worse. But LA has an increasing amount of light rail/subway options and Miami drivers have a rep as rude drivers. So maybe it's a wash? That said, I am an urban sort of guy and my commute in LA is VERY short and I'd try to live close to the office in Miami (which is in Brickell).

Thanks.
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-01-2014 at 05:14 AM.

Default Re: Relocate from Los Angeles to Miami?

The Californians that relocate to S. Florida all say that LA is great but even though its big, you can't get anywhere because of the traffic. So people that live in like Venice Beach, stay in that area, etc etc.

Miami traffic only sucks if you are going to work in it 5 days a week 9 to 5. Other than that, its not really an issue. As a Real estate agent, I'm always out and about but rarely am I ever in real gridlock or more than 15-25 mins (US-1 Grove area around 4PM or 9AM; Heading to the Gables @ 5PM) but there are so many little side roads you can take to get around some of the bad parts. If the bridge to sobe is backed up, you can go north 2 miles to the other one and it'll be smooth sailing. Just drive like a maniac or get a scooter and go between the cars/sidewalks and you'll be fine.

Miami Shores is a great single family neighborhood with good schools. A nice 2/2 in the 'real' miami shores area will run you about $500,000 now. The outlying areas (El Portal, West Shores) will run you about $350k.

Biscayne park is a nice little Enclave North of Miami Shores. Pricing is about the same.

Various Parts of Coral Gables can be $350k (little gables) to $600k+ for actual coral gables and a nice home (not a run down one that is sprinkled in these areas).

Coconut grove is similar, but most properties are Townhomes in this area. A decent one will be $350k but expect a nice 3/2 townhome with or without a garage to start at $400k in the Grove (South of US-1 in the good parts).

Surfside is a good community in the Northern part of Miami Beach. A+ schools and a real sense of community with nice tropical landscaping. $450k+ starts the homes there but really $550k to get something nice that doesn't require a lot of work.

For me, when I compare Cali to Miami, the fact that you can't swim in the ocean year round because its too cold is a factor I can't get over. Plus the taxes out there suck, everything is more expensive, but it is a more progressive state and we still have a lot of back-woods laws and politics thanks to our residents to the North & West in FL.

Didn't notice a question. Are you seeking reassurance ?

Reading your first paragraph is telling. Stay in LA. Miami isn't that much cheaper.

The Californians that relocate to S. Florida all say that LA is great but even though its big, you can't get anywhere because of the traffic. So people that live in like Venice Beach, stay in that area, etc etc.

I must be an exception. It takes me ~30 minutes to get to any place in LA from almost any point to point.

An Angelino would certainly opine differently than a Californian.

join the choir as to the exact same reasons and similar stats as you from a person living currently in San Diego and, prior to that, OC, who is considering a move to Miami as well. Of course, the move would probably be easier for me as I was born and raised on the East Coast (NY) and spent my first 24 years without the CA lifestyle....in fact, I just landed 4 hours ago and will be here for the next 28 days (in South Beach) to get a better feel for the area before I make a decision. I basically walked 3 miles from South Pointe up to 6th Avenue and up and down a number of side streets (Ocean Ave, Collins Ave, Washington, Meridian, Euclid, Michigan Ave, Alton Road, etc.).

Marc--any thoughts (pro or con) on The Cosmopolitan and 245 Michigan complexes?

SoCal--good luck and stay tuned to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    join the choir as to the exact same reasons and similar stats as you from a person living currently in San Diego and, prior to that, OC, who is considering a move to Miami as well. Of course, the move would probably be easier for me as I was born and raised on the East Coast (NY) and spent my first 24 years without the CA lifestyle....in fact, I just landed 4 hours ago and will be here for the next 28 days (in South Beach) to get a better feel for the area before I make a decision. I basically walked 3 miles from South Pointe up to 6th Avenue and up and down a number of side streets (Ocean Ave, Collins Ave, Washington, Meridian, Euclid, Michigan Ave, Alton Road, etc.).

SoCal--good luck and stay tuned to this forum.
    Thanks! Good luck to you on your 28-day discovery mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Didn't notice a question. Are you seeking reassurance ?

Reading your first paragraph is telling. Stay in LA. Miami isn't that much cheaper.
    Thanks for the reply. I noticed from your other posts in the forum you grew up in LA, right? I really appreciated reading some of your old posts.

So yes, I guess I am seeking reassurance that a guy raised in LA can be happy in Miami. Humidity in the summer and lack of mountains in exchange for great winter weather and somewhat cheaper real estate.
    Last edited by SoCal; 05-01-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Miami traffic only sucks if you are going to work in it 5 days a week 9 to 5. Other than that, its not really an issue. As a Real estate agent, I'm always out and about but rarely am I ever in real gridlock or more than 15-25 mins (US-1 Grove area around 4PM or 9AM; Heading to the Gables @ 5PM) but there are so many little side roads you can take to get around some of the bad parts. If the bridge to sobe is backed up, you can go north 2 miles to the other one and it'll be smooth sailing. Just drive like a maniac or get a scooter and go between the cars/sidewalks and you'll be fine.

Miami Shores is a great single family neighborhood with good schools. A nice 2/2 in the 'real' miami shores area will run you about $500,000 now. The outlying areas (El Portal, West Shores) will run you about $350k.

Biscayne park is a nice little Enclave North of Miami Shores. Pricing is about the same.

Various Parts of Coral Gables can be $350k (little gables) to $600k+ for actual coral gables and a nice home (not a run down one that is sprinkled in these areas).

Coconut grove is similar, but most properties are Townhomes in this area. A decent one will be $350k but expect a nice 3/2 townhome with or without a garage to start at $400k in the Grove (South of US-1 in the good parts).

Surfside is a good community in the Northern part of Miami Beach. A+ schools and a real sense of community with nice tropical landscaping. $450k+ starts the homes there but really $550k to get something nice that doesn't require a lot of work.
    Marc: Great information! Thank you. Yeah, I have been looking at closed sales over the last 90 days in Miami Shores/Gables, etc. Saw some deals in Miami Shore that went for $400,000 to $475,000. Not looking for a mansion and even if it needs some work it still blows what I can get in LA out of the water. Surfside is GREAT...but I'll probably stick to the mainland.

I was on a business trip to Miami once back in 2007 and I remember I had to get to the airport at 5pm on a Thursday. I was bracing for a nightmare. I was shocked how easy it was when i actually drove there. Nothing compares to getting to the nightmare that is LAX at peak hour. So my impression is that the "stress" of driving in LA (high traffic all the time) is worse than dealing with more aggressive drivers in Miami.....I could be wrong though.

No prob SoCal.

It took me ten years to finally like / love this place. That is possible as I'm only a part time resident. Spend most of my time mid-state.
    I come down for a few days or a week and leave before tis place gets tired. I'm most certain, I can't spend more than several weeks at a time in Miami.

I only left LA becuse I fortold the r.e. market was going to burst. Fl seemed like a nice place to dummy down.

Because I noted some trepidation, my advise is to stay in LA and make that Tica happy.

For me, when I compare Cali to Miami, the fact that you can't swim in the ocean year round because its too cold is a factor I can't get over. Plus the taxes out there suck, everything is more expensive, but it is a more progressive state and we still have a lot of back-woods laws and politics thanks to our residents to the North & West in FL.
    Marc: Thanks for the GREAT information! Did not know about Biscyane Park. Good to know.

Yes, I have been looking at closed sales over the first part of 2014 in Coral Gables and Miami Shores. I've seen SOME sales in the $400,000 to $470,000 range. By all means small homes with varying degrees of upgrades. But by LA standards great deals.

I LOVE the surfside area but I would probably stay on the mainland...cheaper and closer to the office.

245 Michigan is a cool loft/multi story complex.

110 Washington has better amenities though, security/concierge, etc.

Just depends on what type of life style you prefer..Both are good families, both are good for single people looking for quiet life and good space. some 245 Michigan units will have rooftop terraces as well. The pool is in the center so i'm guessing you might here a little more noise vs. a larger complex like 110 Washington (Cosmo).

Cosmo is cheaper though and will have more inventory to choose from. I'd pick that over 245 Michigan if it were me.

Well, as I tell everyone, read this thing first...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving

It's ALL true. And you might "like" Latin culture and women, but when it's all you've got and you're forced to live by those rules day in and day out and don't have a choice, well, it gets pretty frustrating. This isn't like a fun weeklong trip to South America where you bang some senoritas, eat some cheap steak, and go back to America. It's LIVING in South America. Literally. It just geographically happens to be in the United States.

You wanna find a Latin girl here that likes your middle class lifestyle? That's great, but the chances of her 20-years-younger ass bolting as soon as she's got that paperwork is, well, pretty good. I'm sure you're a nice, good looking guy who makes a good living and all. But dating foreigners here is highly inadvisable as the vast majority are in it for paperwork. I could write a series of books detailing the real-life cases I know. It's quite sad really. Why I will only date white girls.

That said, yeah, the traffic's not in LA's league. Marc pretty much hit the nail on the head. Avoid rush hour, don't go to the Beach on weekends or during major events and it's for the most part tolerable. Especially if you live east (Which it sounds like you plan to). Living west is when it gets brutal and intolerable.
    Martin F likes this.

Matt has a point.....once here, the Latinas you are fond of become Americanized. As I learned a long time ago--what comes from an island stays on an island. Here's a thought--you can determine if the lifestyle in Miami will suit your needs but continue to visit these countries with the benefit of your travel time to these countries being cut in half from Miami vs. LAX.
    RR33139 likes this.

New User

Matt has a point.....once here, the Latinas you are fond of become Americanized. As I learned a long time ago--what comes from an island stays on an island. Here's a thought--you can determine if the lifestyle in Miami will suit your needs but continue to visit these countries with the benefit of your travel time to these countries being cut in half from Miami vs. LAX.
    The Latinas you will find here in the USA already have their paperwork done, especially if middle-class or higher. I don't think many, if any, would be single. The ones here illegally will be usually beneath your class and tastes. That said, there are a few matchmaking agencies based in the USA that specialize in latinas. Some of these agencies will organize trips and in countries, such as Colombia, you will be made to feel like a rockstar, with hundreds of beauties competing for your attention. Sure, some of these women, young, very cute, will be looking for an older, affluent American husband, "Take me to America, Papi!" But some others are college-educated professionals, i.e. doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, in their 30's or so, who speak English and even have tourist visas. The only "fly in the ointment" for the latter group is that many will be single moms. Others will be divorced, and these are "showstoppers" for single, elegible men back in their countries. How do I know all this? Once when in Mexico on a business trip, I ran into such a group, by sheer coincidence. Curious, I sent for their catalog, and my co-workers could not believe what they saw! Some dismissed them as "prostitutes" but this was not the case at all.

SoCal: I get the Tropical Latina fetish. I grew out of that before I hit 30 and lasted till I tired flossing Mango out of my teeth. What seems to be the problem with LA's Latinas ? Is it the Mayan features that are more prevalent in and about the Civic Center and eastward ? Truth is LA has more of the So America type than Miami but not the density. Any truthful man will admit that the mixing of Nazi & Italian blood with pure Iberian and indigenous has had a positive cosmetic effect. The eyeball test don't lie.

If Lupita from La Puente doesn't turn you on, it is very easy to find and roll with a So America enclave in LA. That said, I think Mexican girls easily rival those from any latin country. If you don't believe me, hole yourself in a pension in San Miguel de Allende for a week and it will rain you senoritas of the highest category.

In my travels to Latin America ( excludes islands and Venezuela ), the Perivians that show up in Larco Mar in Lima on a weekend night, easily the most beautiful in my opinion. That was consistent in all three of my visits. In general, Mar de Plata is quality and I'll throw in Cali Colombia for sake of the Mrs.. Cali has the fame, but I understand Medellin takes the cake. Never been there. As far as a vacation spot in Latin America teeming with beauty, San Andres Island & Mar de Plata.

As others have mentioned, Miami is two rock skips away Latin America. To be honest, it hasn't been a factor for me. I still go to Costa Rica 2/3 times a year. It was tempting to see McCartney in San Jose last night.... but I told her NO. I promised her McCartney in LA in Aug till I figured out Dodgers will be out of town and the venue is Dodger Stadium. She'll have to settle for another Summer date and a Hollywood Bowl pre concert spread at Cecil B Demille Barn for Boz, Krall or LaPhil. Many desire to live in Miami because of the beach. Just ask anyone that lives here; Miami sucks your life away and will deny you beach time. Go ahead and ask. Same thing will likely happen to those 3 hr flights to L America.

In the end.... if your a white dude at mid-life, I get your Latina thing..... you'll carouse with her friends and never understand their jokes no matter who well you learn Spanish.

The " Latina " thing is only a stepping stone until you realize that strangling a nice girl in Pattaya with her Futanaria device is where it's really at. After that you're at square one and this silly race preference stuff is silly superficial matter - Oh Ya ..then you'll like opera as your mate prepares you home made Hungarian goulash. That's when you know you are made.

By-the-way SoCal, what's you LA hood ?
    Soccerguy22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RR33139 View Post
    The Latinas you will find here in the USA already have their paperwork done, especially if middle-class or higher. I don't think many, if any, would be single. The ones here illegally will be usually beneath your class and tastes. That said, there are a few matchmaking agencies based in the USA that specialize in latinas. Some of these agencies will organize trips and in countries, such as Colombia, you will be made to feel like a rockstar, with hundreds of beauties competing for your attention. Sure, some of these women, young, very cute, will be looking for an older, affluent American husband, "Take me to America, Papi!" But some others are college-educated professionals, i.e. doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, in their 30's or so, who speak English and even have tourist visas. The only "fly in the ointment" for the latter group is that many will be single moms. Others will be divorced, and these are "showstoppers" for single, elegible men back in their countries. How do I know all this? Once when in Mexico on a business trip, I ran into such a group, by sheer coincidence. Curious, I sent for their catalog, and my co-workers could not believe what they saw! Some dismissed them as "prostitutes" but this was not the case at all.
    Don't forget Anastasia.com.. These are also bitches that will leave you in a dumpster after they've secured your Perpetual Oyster Rolex.

As far as the " Americanization" factor, that happens to all ethnic groups. The Asians adapt quickest at this because they get into university at higher numbers and better job environments. SoCal knows this as he's probably aware of the Armenian situation in the 80's and what he see's today at The Americana
    in Glendale today. It only takes a generation to transform, though I'm impressed on the "armo" situation as I lodge at the ES in Glendale every time I go back home.

The Melting Pot is nothing new. The problem arises when some neighborhoods in Miami, LA, Atlanta and others give safe haven and comfort and no incentive to jump into the pot. Once off the beach in Miami, if you don't know Spanish, you tread on a 30% margin. To dissect it further.... Castellano is spoken east of the 95. The more westward you travel, it's an undistinguishable Spanish.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-02-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

oh my point is that they DONT Americanize. At least in mianland Miami. Superficial? Maybe, Blackford. We all have our types.

Brazilians take the Latina title in my book..,Medellin was not bad but in addition to breast implants, many Colombianas also have ass implants since competing in beauty pageants is a cottage industry there....Cubans can be hot since they barely eat and have lots of mixture in them ( including Russian and Asian) but their tempers, which makes them good in bed also makes them royal pains in the ass and you will have your hands full,,,,Mexico City and Guadalajara Mexicans (Euro influence) are pretty as well.. Was disappointed in Argentines ( exception of one blonde hair blue eyed thick lipped lady I met) ....have not been to Venezuela.

Marc: I have been trying to post a thank you for several days but for whatever reason none of my posts have gone through. Excellent information! I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    SoCal: I get the Tropical Latina fetish. I grew out of that before I hit 30 and lasted till I tired flossing Mango out of my teeth. What seems to be the problem with LA's Latinas ? Is it the Mayan features that are more prevalent in and about the Civic Center and eastward ? Truth is LA has more of the So America type than Miami but not the density. Any truthful man will admit that the mixing of Nazi & Italian blood with pure Iberian and indigenous has had a positive cosmetic effect. The eyeball test don't lie.

If Lupita from La Puente doesn't turn you on, it is very easy to find and roll with a So America enclave in LA. That said, I think Mexican girls easily rival those from any latin country. If you don't believe me, hole yourself in a pension in San Miguel de Allende for a week and it will rain you senoritas of the highest category.

In my travels to Latin America ( excludes islands and Venezuela ), the Perivians that show up in Larco Mar in Lima on a weekend night, easily the most beautiful in my opinion. That was consistent in all three of my visits. In general, Mar de Plata is quality and I'll throw in Cali Colombia for sake of the Mrs.. Cali has the fame, but I understand Medellin takes the cake. Never been there. As far as a vacation spot in Latin America teeming with beauty, San Andres Island & Mar de Plata.

As others have mentioned, Miami is two rock skips away Latin America. To be honest, it hasn't been a factor for me. I still go to Costa Rica 2/3 times a year. It was tempting to see McCartney in San Jose last night.... but I told her NO. I promised her McCartney in LA in Aug till I figured out Dodgers will be out of town and the venue is Dodger Stadium. She'll have to settle for another Summer date and a Hollywood Bowl pre concert spread at Cecil B Demille Barn for Boz, Krall or LaPhil. Many desire to live in Miami because of the beach. Just ask anyone that lives here; Miami sucks your life away and will deny you beach time. Go ahead and ask. Same thing will likely happen to those 3 hr flights to L America.

In the end.... if your a white dude at mid-life, I get your Latina thing..... you'll carouse with her friends and never understand their jokes no matter who well you learn Spanish.

The " Latina " thing is only a stepping stone until you realize that strangling a nice girl in Pattaya with her Futanaria device is where it's really at. After that you're at square one and this silly race preference stuff is silly superficial matter - Oh Ya ..then you'll like opera as your mate prepares you home made Hungarian goulash. That's when you know you are made.
    Just to clarify, I like the Latinas in Los Angeles just fine. Lupita in La Puente is great by me. The move to Miami was not about the women IN Miami. The potential move was more about a change in the high cost of real estate (from very high to just regular high). Also, the Miami location does lend easy access to Latin America (for travel and yes MAYBE a nice lady). But I see that as a side benefit or icing on the cake.

Also, while I do like Latin culture & women I do date ALL kinds women (white, black, Asian, etc).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast